Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Audio Based French Course after Pimsleur?

Tags: Pimsleur | French
 Language Learning Forum : Language Programs, Books & Tapes Post Reply
Footnoted
United States
Joined 4668 days ago

35 posts - 42 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: French

Message 1 of 5
17 April 2012 at 8:45pm | IP Logged 
I used what was for me a good combination to learn a decent bit of French for a recent trip to France (to wit, Assimil's New Fenech With Ease, followed by all three levels of Pimsleur French), and I must say I was able to ask almost any tourist-type questions I pleased (although I could not understand half of the responses), and my pronunciation seemed to go over pretty well judging from the often rapid-fire responses I would get. Anyway, I am back from my trip, and I want to continue with my study of French, preferably using an audio-based program similar to Pimsleur that I can use in the car. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!     

Edited by Footnoted on 17 April 2012 at 9:03pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Michael K.
United States
Joined 5540 days ago

568 posts - 886 votes 
Studies: Spanish, Esperanto

Message 2 of 5
17 April 2012 at 8:49pm | IP Logged 
You can try Michel Thomas. Some regard it as his best course (he also did Spanish, German, and Italian).

Get the Foundation and Advanced courses. They cost about $100.

napoleon
Tetraglot
India
Joined 4827 days ago

543 posts - 874 votes 
Speaks: Bengali*, English, Hindi, Urdu
Studies: French, Arabic (Written)

Message 3 of 5
17 April 2012 at 9:21pm | IP Logged 
Michel Thomas is a very popular course.
You can probably use the FSI French Basic Course without the book. Although, using the book will probably be easier.
BTW, had you finished the active phase of Assimil NFWE before your trip?

Edited by napoleon on 17 April 2012 at 9:24pm

Footnoted
United States
Joined 4668 days ago

35 posts - 42 votes
Studies: French

Message 4 of 5
17 April 2012 at 9:44pm | IP Logged 
I got through through about 2/3 of the active phase but the problem was I had also started Using French so it began to be entirely too much new material without enough repetition of the old material. Plus I could not construct a sentence for the life of me.   So I dropped the rest of the active phase of NFWE and UF entirely, and then began Pimsleur and was able to virtually fly through all 90 lessons at the pace of one a day, doing each new lesson once at night and repeating it once the next morning on the drive to work. Without Assimil I would not have been able to get far at all with Pimsleur; Assimil helped me visualize what was being said in Pimsleur. On the other hand, I can't for the life of me figure out how one can pick up on what's going on with something like "J'y suis alle'..." using Pimsleur alone, whereas with Assimil to draw on, I knew exactly what the "y" sound was in there for, and Pimsleur taught me to construct and verbalize sentences using it.         

Edited by Footnoted on 17 April 2012 at 9:44pm

sctroyenne
Diglot
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5202 days ago

739 posts - 1312 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Spanish, Irish

Message 5 of 5
17 April 2012 at 9:44pm | IP Logged 
A new course could certainly help but it seems that you're more than ready to integrate some (or lots I
should say) native audio. You could try some audio books, some podcasts (for learners or for natives)
and for the car you could maybe try to get audio from other sources onto CDs or MP3 (such as radio, a
French audio track of a DVD, etc).

2 persons have voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version