United States
Joined 4447 days ago

1134 posts - 1865 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Yiddish
Studies: Modern Hebrew, French, Dutch, Italian, Russian

Message 9 of 65
18 April 2012 at 5:25pm | IP Logged 
Expugnator wrote:
Memorizing words have little to do with linguistical curiosity, it is an effort that is justified when you do want to take part in that culture.

Well, there are all kinds of useful proficiency you can work toward that don't rise to the level of fluency. E.g., I found it quite worthwhile learning Norwegian to the point where I could read the newspaper more or less because that gave me some access to the culture, but as was discussed recently in a Norwegian thread, it can be much harder to learn to understand the spoken language, and I didn't want to put the effort in. Learning to speak and write would be another step beyond that (not living in country nor in North Dakota). Other people I know use scattered words and phrases from a language (e.g. Yiddish, Hebrew, Italian, Polish, Russian) to emphasize their cultural connections to their people, but don't even have an intermediate command of the language.

Best of luck!
2 persons have voted this message useful

sgh78
Diglot
France
Joined 4400 days ago

163 posts - 215 votes 
Speaks: French*, English
Studies: Spanish, Russian, Norwegian, Latin, Persian, Biblical Hebrew, Arabic (classical), German

Message 10 of 65
18 April 2012 at 5:40pm | IP Logged 
Your mother tongue is a Indo-european language and you learn a Kartvelian language.
I find that interesting like the people majority believe the next thing "It's stupid to learn a other languages out languages the more spoken around the world".
I hope can to read here all about your progression.

Edited by sgh78 on 18 April 2012 at 5:41pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5140 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 11 of 65
18 April 2012 at 6:04pm | IP Logged 
sgh78 wrote:
I find that interesting like the people majority believe the next thing "It's stupid to learn a other languages out languages the more spoken around the world".

Je me demande si tu utilises Google Translate pour écrire en anglais, mais je dois admettre que tes messages sont parfois très difficiles à comprendre. Que dirais-tu de nous offrir des versions bilingues pour qu'on puisse suivre la version française en cas de confusion?

(Eng.: I wonder if you're using Google Translate to write in English, but I must admit that your messages are sometimes very difficult to understand. How about offering us bilingual versions so we can follow the French version in case of confusion?)
4 persons have voted this message useful

Michael K.
United States
Joined 5488 days ago

568 posts - 886 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Esperanto

Message 12 of 65
18 April 2012 at 10:39pm | IP Logged 
Arekkusu wrote:
sgh78 wrote:

Je me demande si tu utilises Google Translate pour écrire en anglais, mais je dois admettre que tes messages sont parfois très difficiles à comprendre. Que dirais-tu de nous offrir des versions bilingues pour qu'on puisse suivre la version française en cas de confusion?

(Eng.: I wonder if you're using Google Translate to write in English, but I must admit that your messages are sometimes very difficult to understand. How about offering us bilingual versions so we can follow the French version in case of confusion?)

His (her?) English may just be like that without using Google Translate. I've known some ESL speakers who write like he (she?) does.
1 person has voted this message useful

TixhiiDon
Tetraglot
Japan
Joined 5223 days ago

772 posts - 1474 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese, German, Russian
Studies: Georgian

Message 13 of 65
19 April 2012 at 12:20am | IP Logged 
Arekkusu wrote:
Why?

For me it stems from a long-standing interest in (obsession with?!) the former Soviet
Union and Eastern bloc. Having spent around 12 or 13 years on Japanese, it occurred to
me I had the freedom to learn another language, and what's more, whichever language I
wanted, no matter how obscure or useless. I deliberated between Georgian and Armenian
for a while, but went with Georgian in the end.

The plan is most definitely to reach B2/C1 level, and although I'm considerably less
motivated now than when I started two and a half years ago, I still do a little, and
sometimes a lot, almost every day. I went to Georgia twice last year and have
conversation and grammar lessons with a native speaker here in Tokyo twice a week. So
Georgian has become a really big thing in my life.

Edited by TixhiiDon on 19 April 2012 at 12:21am

5 persons have voted this message useful

liddytime
Pentaglot
United States
mainlymagyar.wordpre
Joined 5988 days ago

693 posts - 1328 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Italian, Portuguese, Galician
Studies: Hungarian, Vietnamese, Modern Hebrew, Norwegian, Persian, Arabic (Written)

Message 14 of 65
19 April 2012 at 2:20am | IP Logged 
Thanks for all the encouragement everyone!!!

I updated my mainlymagyar page with some pics of Georgia and a bit more about why I think კართული ენა is so
cool.

I am definitely feeling more comfortable with მხედრული (sp?) and can actually (yikes!) read some basic
sentences! Book2 is great, but it is hard trying to figure out how the grammar works since there are no
explanations. I suppose that's where Beginner's Georgian comes in.

ამერიკალი ვარ! I got that one down.

sgh78 : I can understand you fine! Use google translate if you have to - I'm sure I'll be needing it in Georgian
soon!

sgh78
Diglot
France
Joined 4400 days ago

163 posts - 215 votes 
Speaks: French*, English
Studies: Spanish, Russian, Norwegian, Latin, Persian, Biblical Hebrew, Arabic (classical), German

Message 15 of 65
19 April 2012 at 4:39pm | IP Logged 
Honestly I don't use google translate because the translation system of google translate can only translate word to word , it don't know grammar rules.
Therefore I prefer write a text in a bad English like is more easy to understand.

1 person has voted this message useful

liddytime
Pentaglot
United States
mainlymagyar.wordpre
Joined 5988 days ago

693 posts - 1328 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Italian, Portuguese, Galician
Studies: Hungarian, Vietnamese, Modern Hebrew, Norwegian, Persian, Arabic (Written)

Message 16 of 65
19 April 2012 at 8:05pm | IP Logged 
Arekkusu wrote:
There is quite a lot of interest for Georgian lately.
Why?

I think there is a sort of "mystique" about Georgian and that is part of what makes it interesting for people. It is an obscure language, in a family unrelated to any other major language family, written in a unique and beautiful script. If that isn't enough to draw people in, what is?

geoffw wrote:

I'm curious as to whether any of the people learning Georgian at HTLAL are hoping/planning to reach basic fluency, or are expecting this to be more an exercise in satisfying linguistic curiosity (been there, done that, got the T-shirt).

The OP appears to be approaching it as the latter, I think, but you never know when you may fall in love with a language forever....

I think curiosity is one of the reasons I like the 6 week challenge so much. It has given me an excuse to jump in and learn languages that I never would have attempted otherwise. I certainly don't expect fluency in 6 weeks. At best, I hope to reach an A2 level. ...and no, I don't expect a T-shirt :-)

Georgian seems to be one of those languages that draws one in and never truly lets go. I imagine it would take years of intense study to reach basic fluency in Georgian. But, sort of like my Arabic, if I could study a little more every year who knows, every year it might just get "a little" bit better!

This discussion contains 65 messages over 9 pages: << Prev 13 4 5 6 7 8 9  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version