Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
65 messages over 9 pages: 1 2 35 6 7 ... 4 ... 8 9 Next >>
hrhenry
Octoglot
United States
languagehopper.blogs
Joined 4890 days ago

1871 posts - 3642 votes 
Speaks: English*, SpanishC2, ItalianC2, Norwegian, Catalan, Galician, Turkish, Portuguese
Studies: Polish, Indonesian, Ojibwe

Message 25 of 65
20 April 2012 at 8:24pm | IP Logged 
Solfrid Cristin wrote:

But I really wish you guys would not make it so tempting to study the only language on the planet that I have given my word that I will not learn.

Really? Why? I mean, I suppose I can understand that there are many more languages you'd want to learn first, but to actively say you *won't* learn one...

I honestly can't think of a single language I'd say that about (although there are some that fall very low on the to-do list). I'll never live long enough to even get to the ones on the top of my list, though.

R.
==
1 person has voted this message useful

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5094 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 26 of 65
20 April 2012 at 8:35pm | IP Logged 
You misunderstand me. I would love to learn Georgian - but I have promised not to do so. The explanation comes here:

No Georgian for me...

hrhenry
Octoglot
United States
languagehopper.blogs
Joined 4890 days ago

1871 posts - 3642 votes 
Speaks: English*, SpanishC2, ItalianC2, Norwegian, Catalan, Galician, Turkish, Portuguese

Message 27 of 65
20 April 2012 at 8:38pm | IP Logged 
Solfrid Cristin wrote:
You misunderstand me. I would love to learn Georgian - but I have promised not to do so. The explanation comes here:

No Georgian for me...

Ah, OK.I even took part in that thread and forgot.

R.
==

Edited by hrhenry on 20 April 2012 at 8:39pm

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5094 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 28 of 65
20 April 2012 at 8:46pm | IP Logged 
hrhenry wrote:
Solfrid Cristin wrote:

No Georgian for me...

Ah, OK.I even took part in that thread and forgot.

R.
==

Happy to see that I am not the only candidate for Alzheimer. Nothing a little Georgian couldn't cure I am sure :-)

Liddytime - how do you manage to do so many languages at the time by the way? I am really impressed here!
2 persons have voted this message useful

TixhiiDon
Tetraglot
Japan
Joined 5224 days ago

772 posts - 1474 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese, German, Russian
Studies: Georgian

Message 29 of 65
20 April 2012 at 11:19pm | IP Logged 
I hold my hands up. You got me guys. I am secretly working undercover for the
Association of Georgian Propagation, with the aim of making Georgian the foremost world
language. Forget English, forget Chinese, forget Esperanto, it's Georgian your grandkids
will be speaking, so you all better get started on those consonant clusters and
polypersonal verbs as soon as possible to secure your future. I lured you in with the
down-at-home charms of my Small Expectations log, entranced you with my "just little old
me studying Georgian while juggling a job and a new puppy" guise, and now I have you
hooked.

Mwah hah hah hah hah....
7 persons have voted this message useful

liddytime
Pentaglot
United States
mainlymagyar.wordpre
Joined 5989 days ago

693 posts - 1328 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Italian, Portuguese, Galician
Studies: Hungarian, Vietnamese, Modern Hebrew, Norwegian, Persian, Arabic (Written)

Message 30 of 65
21 April 2012 at 4:21pm | IP Logged 
TixhiiDon wrote:
I hold my hands up. You got me guys. I am secretly working undercover for the
Association of Georgian Propagation, with the aim of making Georgian the foremost world
language. ....

HAH!!

I KNEW it! I knew it all along! ..and to think we were almost all sucked into your little trap.. we are all on to you TixhiiDon!

... now, about that free puppy ...
Solfrid Cristin wrote:

Liddytime - how do you manage to do so many languages at the time by the way? I am really impressed here!

I don't actually do them at the same time. I try to do just one at a time. I took Arabic and Russian at the same time when I was in
College and that was kind of a disaster! I will usually pick a language and focus on that one for three months or so ... and then
inevitably I'll get bored or another language pops up (Georgian) that really piques my curiosity and I'll move over to that one for a
few months..etc...

There are a few, however (Arabic, Chinese) that I come back to every year and it doesn't usually take long before I'm back up to
speed and making progress. I haven't studied Hungarian in over a year but the other day I was in a book store and picked up a
Hungarian comic book and could still understand it!! ( OK it was a comic - not Petofi Sandor but still I was pretty excited I could still
understand most of it!). Obviously, if I need to learn a language for travel or work I focus on it in much greater detail and don't jump
around so much.

So is it the most efficient way to learn? NO Am I ever going to get fluent in a new language doing it this way? ...probably not.. Does
doing it this way keep it fun for me and satisfy my numerous curiosities? Absolutely!!!

...now back to trying to decode Georgian...

liddytime
Pentaglot
United States
mainlymagyar.wordpre
Joined 5989 days ago

693 posts - 1328 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Italian, Portuguese, Galician
Studies: Hungarian, Vietnamese, Modern Hebrew, Norwegian, Persian, Arabic (Written)

Message 31 of 65
22 April 2012 at 6:16am | IP Logged 
OK, seriously...

To those of you who are studying Georgian,

does this EVER make sense ?!?!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Georgian_verb_paradigm

Edited by liddytime on 22 April 2012 at 6:17am

hrhenry
Octoglot
United States
languagehopper.blogs
Joined 4890 days ago

1871 posts - 3642 votes 

Message 32 of 65
22 April 2012 at 8:05am | IP Logged 
liddytime wrote:
OK, seriously...

To those of you who are studying Georgian,

does this EVER make sense ?!?!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Georgian_verb_paradigm

That particular page hasn't made a whole lot of sense to me yet, but then, it doesn't need to.

I understand what they're saying about verb classes, preverbs. and versions, not to mention irregular verbs in general, but...

Honestly, I don't worry about it. At my current stage, as long as what I'm learning in context makes sense, it's all good. I won't let the academic-speak (of which Wikipedia tends to have too much, generally - at least in my opinion) bother me.

Then again, I don't plan on getting past an A2 level after a year's worth of study.

R.
==

Edited by hrhenry on 22 April 2012 at 8:07am

This discussion contains 65 messages over 9 pages: << Prev 1 2 35 6 7 8 9  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version