2615 posts - 8806 votes 
Speaks: English*, FrenchB2
Studies: Spanish, Ancient Egyptian
Personal Language Map

Message 9 of 22
19 April 2012 at 6:11pm | IP Logged 
druckfehler wrote:
Especially in a language like German or Korean with some complex
grammar learning without focusing on forms easily leads to fossilized mistakes. I know
that research in second language acquisition of German suggests this and I've seen it
play out in reality, too. Refugees in Germany are a group that relies heavily on
immersion, mostly because structured language courses they have access to are scarce.
While they often achieve impressive results regarding their ability to communicate,
many have problems with grammar.

Fossilization seems to be a pretty complex phenomenon.

- Some students will fossilize quickly at a pidgin-like level, especially if they
dislike using a language or have little need for it.
- The number of fossilized errors is apparently influenced by "social distance" from
native speakers.
- Many adults will never get a decade of full-time, round-the-clock immersion in their
second tongue.

But there is one group with zero social distance from native speakers, and decades of
continuous immersion in their second language: Spouses who use it at home and at work.
And given enough time, many of them will attain virtually native spoken grammar, and
their vocabulary will be limited only by their reading.

But I'm impatient, so I don't rely entirely on immersion to deal with fossils. At least
for me, it's far more efficient to have somebody point out that I have no clue
how to use the French partitive article correctly, find a grammar book, and start
noticing it in my input. But to borrow a gardening metaphor, this is basically weeding,
and the plants still grow by themselves.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Mae
Trilingual Octoglot
Pro Member
Germany
Joined 4777 days ago

299 posts - 499 votes 
Speaks: German*, SpanishC2*, Swiss-German*, FrenchC2, EnglishC2, ItalianB2, Dutch, Portuguese
Studies: Russian, Swedish
Personal Language Map

Message 10 of 22
19 April 2012 at 7:29pm | IP Logged 
I like to learn languages with a tutor, which doesn't mean that he/she necessarily needs
to be a teacher. I check vocabulary and grammar alone, and while speaking, reading and
listening I learn most of the "soul" of a language.

Solfrid Cristin wrote:
I have been trying to learn German [...] the traditional way
without much success. I do learn - eventually. It is just that for me it takes so much
longer than if I learn without all the grammar and the rules.

My offer to you: If you'd like to practise German, you can write me a PM to have a chat
via Skype. Let me know, if I can help in any way.

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5120 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 11 of 22
19 April 2012 at 8:22pm | IP Logged 
Mae wrote:
I like to learn languages with a tutor, which doesn't mean that he/she necessarily needs
to be a teacher. I check vocabulary and grammar alone, and while speaking, reading and
listening I learn most of the "soul" of a language.

Solfrid Cristin wrote:
I have been trying to learn German [...] the traditional way
without much success. I do learn - eventually. It is just that for me it takes so much
longer than if I learn without all the grammar and the rules.

My offer to you: If you'd like to practise German, you can write me a PM to have a chat
via Skype. Let me know, if I can help in any way.

PM coming up!!
1 person has voted this message useful

sillygoose1
Tetraglot
United States
Joined 4422 days ago

566 posts - 814 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian, Spanish, French
Studies: German, Latin

Message 12 of 22
19 April 2012 at 9:26pm | IP Logged 
Learning from context. Assimil, books, news sites, songs, etc

For me, it depends if I like learning in a classroom or not. For example, I love learning French in university, but I also took German at the same time. I decided to focus on French, so because of that, I hate German because I don't pay attention to it outside of the classroom and I study for tests the day before and we are going over grammar I don't know because I don't focus on it. It's sort of my fault but whatever. :P

Superking
Diglot
Groupie
United States
polyglutwastaken.blo
Joined 6429 days ago

87 posts - 194 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Mandarin

Message 13 of 22
19 April 2012 at 10:39pm | IP Logged 
Having successfully learned one foreign language, I definitely have a style that is much more well defined and recognizeable for me than it was the first time around.

I love textbooks. I was sort of randomly strolling through Mandarin before I obtained my first textbook, or I felt that way even though I learned a substantial amount. It's been an anchor for me, as the physical act of writing still does wonders for my recall.

As I continue to bolster the grammatical skeleton of my knowledge of Mandarin, I find myself making the same wildly unscientific comparison every time I think about it. Imagine taking a glue-covered sheet of paper and dipping it in glitter. A lot of it is going to stick, but some may fall off. Add more glue, or make a second pass with the paper and some more will stick. You're always throwing more at it than will be able to stick permanently in one go, but some sticks. Some always sticks, and you never lose what does stick.

I find myself learning Mandarin that way. I'll learn 20-30 words by writing them out, studying them intensively, and through repeated use I'll master 5-10. Fair enough -- I now know 10 more words, and my mental database is that much better for it.

druckfehler
Triglot
Germany
Joined 4654 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Korean
Studies: Persian

Message 14 of 22
19 April 2012 at 11:26pm | IP Logged 
emk, if I could vote for your post 10 times I would. That was extremely illuminating for me. It makes sense that social distance and time in immersion with native speakers plays a huge part and it certainly does in my example. Thanks!

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4493 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 15 of 22
20 April 2012 at 1:01am | IP Logged 
I just need to speak and use languages. I think the kicker is exposure. You can learn the grammar in x amount of time but the real thing is exposing yourself to the influence and putting yourself out there in the situation where you have nothing to rely on but the language you're speaking. If you have a basic modicum of knowledge, this'll get you there eventually.

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6383 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 16 of 22
20 April 2012 at 1:15am | IP Logged 
I learn best on my own because things have to matter to me. I detest the thought of having to learn by heart or copy by hand something that isn't worth it, that isn't special.
Music is a part of language learning for me, just like grammar or shadowing is. I'm also addicted to AJATT-style natural learning, though I love grammar. I love figuring things out naturally, on my own.

In fact, I'm not sure I'd do well in an immersion situation. I'm an introvert and presuming I'd even go somewhere to learn the local language... I'd learn most by watching TV (especially football in sport bars!), reading the papers and listening to music and to what people say around me.
Though my ideal route is listening a lot -> listening fluency -> reading a lot -> reading fluency + some writing -> writing fluency -> shadowing -> spoken fluency

My strategy also depends on the language. Ironically, my first attempt at using the sentences method was with Esperanto, and I dropped it soon. Esperanto is an agglutinating language and it's almost as logical as Finnish so there was no need for this... but the Romance languages are a completely different story. I hate what they did to the Latin grammar :D

Basically, for me the main problem with the formal study of Indo-European grammar is that almost every single textbook is supposed to be used by those learning their first foreign language, or at most the second after English. I don't need anyone holding my hand, I don't need most of the explanations out there.

Another essential thing is reading short informal texts written by native speakers - previously at forums, now on twitter.

Edited by Serpent on 20 April 2012 at 1:15am

This discussion contains 22 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version