Sebed
United Kingdom
Joined 4560 days ago

12 posts - 29 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: French, Korean, Esperanto

Message 1 of 3
19 April 2012 at 4:42pm | IP Logged 
I'd like to start by saying that I do feel incredibly awkward making this post. I appreciate that it's very self-centred and probably quite tedious for the rest of you, but I'd like to get an (at least reasonably) informed opinion on the matter, and I have no hope of getting one from people I know.

Basically, I'm in year 11 in the UK, which means that I will be taking my GCSEs in a little less than a month, and then I will be free for the next 3 to do what I want (due to study leave). In this time I would like to learn a couple? of languages, but I'm undecided as to what to choose.

Currently, the only foreign language I have any proficiency in is French. I decided to teach myself late August of last year, and I have now got myself to a level where I'm expected to get full marks in the GCSE. I wouldn't consider myself fluent at all, though.

I am also taking German GCSE, but I haven't put any effort in, really, outside of class and I'm looking at an A, due to a stupid system where you can memorise paragraphs by the sounds and then recite it off for a good mark. This is where my first problem comes in. The German exams are two weeks after all the other exams finish. If I were to study German over the summer, then that would give me a good run-in a couple of weeks early. However, I don't find German particularly interesting as a language.

Beyond that, I'd also like to learn something exotic, principally Mandarin, Japanese, or Korean; with plans to learn all three at some point in my life. Which one would be best to start with? I spend a lot of time watching and listening to Korean dramas and music, a fair chunk of it listening to Taiwanese music, and little of it doing anything regarding Japan, although I still find the culture fascinating.

Other points:
  • I'm going to be studying French for A-Level, so the next two years are already committed to it. My teacher says she can get me fluent in that time, so I'm disinclined to up the ante on it.
  • Motivation isn't an issue. Once I start learning it, I am confident I can keep going.
  • I do know, based solely on my personality, that having to spend two weeks extensively studying German to get it to an A* level, and then dropping it would be very frustrating to me. I like to finish things if I start them.
  • If I were to study Mandarin, should I learn the traditional or simplified script? I know, through Google Translate, that the subtitles on Taiwanese music videos are in simplified, but my understanding was that Taiwan uses the traditional script. Maybe I'm wrong.

Thanks for any help anyone is kind enough to offer.
1 person has voted this message useful

nway
United States
youtube.com/user/Vic
Joined 5236 days ago

574 posts - 1707 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Mandarin, Japanese, Korean

Message 2 of 3
19 April 2012 at 6:12pm | IP Logged 
I haven't really paid attention to the subtitles of Taiwanese music videos, but if they are in simplified script, that's because most Taiwanese artists are very intent on succeeding in the mainland market. If you're truly only interested in Taiwan, then feel free to learn traditional, as it will certainly suit your purposes better. Obviously you needn't stick with just one or the other for your whole life.

As for which to start with, it could be any, really. Mandarin will have a sharp learning curve with learning pinyin pronunciation. Korean will start out smoothly with the ease of Hangul delivering quick satisfaction upfront. Japanese as a spoken language will be painless to start, although learning the kana will take quite a bit more time and effort than Korean Hangul.

Sometimes there isn't really a single "correct" answer—just multiple legitimate decisions that lead to slightly different alternate realities...

Edited by nway on 19 April 2012 at 6:14pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

en.fr.es
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4426 days ago

15 posts - 22 votes
Speaks: English*, Spanish, French

Message 3 of 3
19 April 2012 at 11:30pm | IP Logged 
Hi Sebed,

I say really go the A* in the German and then after the exam you can ease off a bit and
pick up one of your other languages.

I wish I had done German GCSE instead of Spanish because I am currently teaching myself
German and it is so hard with just self study and a text book! I feel I would have been
better off learning German at school then Spanish by myself

Korean sounds like a good choice as you already watch a lot of dramas in Korean and are
into the music! Go for it while you are you!! I am nearly 21 and wish I had been as
keen at your age!

Good luck with your exams

2 persons have voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version