Triglot
Japan
Joined 4512 days ago

594 posts - 985 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, Japanese

Message 1 of 9
19 April 2012 at 9:09pm | IP Logged 
Hello,

has anyone ever had the problem of being stuck with what feels like sore muscles? I'm currently going through this phenomenon.

I've been solely learning vocab since January, while doing my daily socializing in my TL. My ability to express myself clearly has improved thanks to now having a lot more words at my disposal (around 4000 more since January), but lately, I feel it's becoming increasingly difficult to get more into my head. As if my brain was "satiated", as opposed to me being "starved to death" when I started my aggressive expansion.

I wonder how to escape this trap.

P.S.:
I'm not so sure if this would have better been posted in the Advice Forum; it's clearly asking for advice. Then again, this might also be a general phenomenon, in which case the General Forum would not be a bad place for this topic..
1 person has voted this message useful

Brun Ugle
Diglot
Norway
brunugle.wordpress.c
Joined 6431 days ago

1292 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*, NorwegianC1
Studies: Japanese, Esperanto, Spanish, Finnish

Message 2 of 9
20 April 2012 at 7:43am | IP Logged 
Do you mean muscle aches in the literal sense, or is this some kind of figurative expression that I'm not understanding?

If you mean it literally, then yes, I've had the same problem. I think part of it was do to stress, but a large part was do to sitting around reading or sitting at my computer all day studying, reading this forum, etc. The solution is exercise. I found that strength training helped a lot. Wear your muscles out to the point where they are too tired to cramp up. Of course, you will have sore muscles in the beginning, but after a week or too, it starts to get better. I work out for about an hour four times a week or so, and I haven't had any problems with cramps since about a week after I started.

I think it also helps with concentration. Maybe it is the increased blood flow to the brain, or maybe your brain just needs a break doing something mindless, but whatever it is, it does help.

nway
United States
youtube.com/user/Vic
Joined 5226 days ago

574 posts - 1707 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Mandarin, Japanese, Korean

Message 3 of 9
20 April 2012 at 8:18am | IP Logged 
I think he/she was speaking metaphorically...

atama warui
Triglot
Japan
Joined 4512 days ago

594 posts - 985 votes 

Message 4 of 9
20 April 2012 at 10:56am | IP Logged 
Yes, this was meant metaphorically. :)

SueK
Groupie
United States
Joined 4562 days ago

77 posts - 133 votes 
Studies: Mandarin

Message 5 of 9
20 April 2012 at 2:55pm | IP Logged 
The brain is a muscle and is subject to similar issues as any other muscle. If you don't challenge it, it gets out of shape, if you over use it, it needs a rest.

I think physical excersize helps with this alot, because it increases blood flow to the brain, allowing that muscle to function better.

I'm going sit on my couch and contemplate this for awhile......
2 persons have voted this message useful

frenkeld
Diglot
United States
Joined 6754 days ago

2042 posts - 2719 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English
Studies: German

Message 6 of 9
20 April 2012 at 5:01pm | IP Logged 
atama warui wrote:
I feel it's becoming increasingly difficult to get more into my head. As if my brain was "satiated", as opposed to me being "starved to death" when I started my aggressive expansion.

I wonder how to escape this trap.

It seems self-evident that you need a break of some sort, not from the language itself, but from whatever vocabulary-cramming activity you've been engaged in (SRS?). Think of it as a period of consolidation of the vocabulary you've learned over the last few months. Just enjoy using the language for a while, which should be easy with all this new knowledge, but don't cram new vocabulary. You'll know if and when it's time to get back.

Edited by frenkeld on 20 April 2012 at 5:10pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

en.fr.es
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4416 days ago

15 posts - 22 votes
Speaks: English*, Spanish, French

Message 7 of 9
20 April 2012 at 7:02pm | IP Logged 
I think I suffer from something similar actually. I think I have been going a bit mad
with vocab learning and SRS (easily a few hours a day) and have forgotten why we learn
languages in the first place- to use them!

I like frenkeld's advice of easing of the SRSing for a while and enjoying yourself
(watching series and game shows in French, watching French football and listening to
music for me). This will of course still be helping my language skills and as frenkeld
put it consolidating the new vocab I have learnt :)
3 persons have voted this message useful

atama warui
Triglot
Japan
Joined 4512 days ago

594 posts - 985 votes 

Message 8 of 9
20 April 2012 at 7:30pm | IP Logged 
Thanks. I will try some speaking drills and watch series on TV for a while, only doing my repetitions when words are due.

Also, the "physical activity" advice seems quite nice. I can imagine going for a walk while doing whatever related to learning will be useful.

Thank you.

This discussion contains 9 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version