Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
143 messages over 18 pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 1 ... 17 18 Next >>

Mae
Trilingual Octoglot
Pro Member
Germany
Joined 4751 days ago

299 posts - 499 votes 
Speaks: German*, SpanishC2*, Swiss-German*, FrenchC2, EnglishC2, ItalianB2, Dutch, Portuguese
Studies: Russian, Swedish
Personal Language Map

Message 1 of 143
21 April 2012 at 5:08pm | IP Logged 
A polyglot's language learning log - about goals and progress, achievements and
difficulties

Read about learning experiences, resources, links, tips and stories

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Here in this log I want to share some personal experiences. Feel free to post and to
interact with me! Questions, suggestions, compliments + constructive criticism are
more
than welcome. I attach particular importance to a polite interaction with each other:
"C'est le ton qui fait la musique" - I'm not beyond making mistakes neither, so
please let me know if you see something that bothers you or makes you feel uneasy. I
am
sure that there cannot be other than a misunderstanding behind it, due to the fact
that
English is not my mother tongue.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Yes, I've been absent for about 2 years, as my language learning journey started
stagnating. I had to overcome some difficulties, and now I'm thinking about coming
back to a decent level of interaction with language learning :-D

Have fun reading and thanks for dropping by!

Edited by Mae on 02 February 2015 at 11:56pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Mae
Trilingual Octoglot
Pro Member
Germany
Joined 4751 days ago

299 posts - 499 votes 
Speaks: German*, SpanishC2*, Swiss-German*, FrenchC2, EnglishC2, ItalianB2, Dutch, Portuguese
Personal Language Map

Message 2 of 143
21 April 2012 at 5:37pm | IP Logged 
Swiss-German, Berne style: Bärndütsch

Unfortunately some people do not actually believe that Swiss-German is a variation of
German with many differences, that make it hard to understand sometimes. Depending on
where you come from, you will find it more or less easy to understand. Dutch speaking
persons may have an advantage because of the word positions in the spoken language.
Southern Germans (Baden-Wuerttemberg, Bavaria) may also have this advantage. But I must
confess, even being able to speak Swiss-German fluently, I have some trouble to
understand Bavarian, Saxon and some Austrian dialects. To give you an idea of how
Swiss-German looks, I will present a short text:

Grüässeuch mitenang! I de Sproche-Übersicht hani gseh, dass es e paar Lüt het i
dem Forum wo ou Schwyzerdütsch rede. Leider hani ned würkli oft d'Möglechkeit Mundart
z'rede. Vellech hets hie öper wo ab und zue mau öpis icheschriebt oder öper wo "üses"
Dütsch ou gärn lere wett? Mäudet eu. Ä Gruäss!

So this is an example of how people would write in Swiss-German (Berne style), since
there are no conventions of spelling/writing.

Translation: Hello everybody! In the language overview I have seen that there are
some people in this forum who also speak Swiss-German. Unfortunately I don't have the
possibility to speak my mother tongue quite often. Maybe there is someone willing to
post something here, every now and then, or who wants to learn "our" German? Get in
touch! Greetings!

Here is a small book for all German speakers, a little "dictionary" German_Swiss-
German/Swiss-German_German: Link to Amazon

Edited by Mae on 28 April 2012 at 7:17pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

Mae
Trilingual Octoglot
Pro Member
Germany
Joined 4751 days ago

299 posts - 499 votes 
Personal Language Map

Message 3 of 143
21 April 2012 at 6:34pm | IP Logged 
My "Fluent in 3 months"-challenge

The first day I started learning Dutch from scratch was the 3rd April this year. Since
then I could not put in as much time as I wanted. I just did the first two lessons of
the book I bought for that purpose (Langenscheidt audio + book). Nevertheless, I have
had some good help from Fasulye! Today we had our second chat in Dutch via Skype. Even
if I can barely speak proper Dutch yet, I was able to understand most of what she said.

As the lack of time is an issue, I recently bought a new iPod (the old one died) to
carry some podcasts with me, to passively learn the language. I am regularly listening
to the episodes of "Laura speaks Dutch" by
Brenno de Winter. Sometimes I add some episodes from DutchPod101, from which I only use
the free episodes offered via iTunes. I must say that listening to the language has
helped a lot to get some kind of understanding of how the language works. Of course, I
have an advantage, because I speak Swiss-German: word position is quite similar,
pronunciation too, etc. In spite of that, I still have a lot of work to do. The best
thing is, though, that I start feeling comfortable with the language!
Fasulye's conclusion after our chat today: "Je maakt vorderingen in het Nederlands!"
Thank you very much!

Take home message?
Use free podcasts to train your brain to "accept" your target language! This will have
a great influence on your progress, even if you have little time.

Edited by Mae on 28 April 2012 at 7:17pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

Michael K.
United States
Joined 5489 days ago

568 posts - 886 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Esperanto

Message 4 of 143
21 April 2012 at 9:02pm | IP Logged 
I've seen your posts around the forum and wanted to wish you well.

Good luck with Dutch.

Mae
Trilingual Octoglot
Pro Member
Germany
Joined 4751 days ago

299 posts - 499 votes 
Personal Language Map

Message 5 of 143
21 April 2012 at 10:05pm | IP Logged 
Thank you Michael, that's very kind of you.
Good luck with your studies too!

Mae
Trilingual Octoglot
Pro Member
Germany
Joined 4751 days ago

299 posts - 499 votes 
Personal Language Map

Message 6 of 143
21 April 2012 at 10:45pm | IP Logged 
Français: Ma préparation pour le DALF C2

Quand j'ai commencé à me préparer pour prendre un examen international, je n'aurais
jamais imaginé que j'allais réussir.
D'abord il faut dire, que j'avais eu des leçons de Français qu'à l'école cantonale,
avec un prof qui n'était pas très sympa. Apres avoir changé d'école, j'ai eu une prof de
langue Française genevoise, qui appréciait vraiment tous les efforts que l'on faisait.
Elle m'a motivé et a réussi que je retrouve l'amour pour cette langue. Apres une année
d'échange, ou je suis allée à la Romandie - la Suisse francophone - pour y étudier, je
parlais une autre type de langue, car celle de l'école ne servait pas trop. En
travaillant là-bas j'ai appris beaucoup sur la langue et la culture francophone.
En quittant la Suisse j'ai dû chercher des occasions pour parler la langue. Il y a
quatre ans j'ai pris ma première leçon de Français dans une école de langues, ou je
suis été encouragée pour essayer l'examen du niveau C2 (au lieu du C1, comme j'aurais
voulu). Pour me préparer je n'ai eu que 12 leçons en quatre ans. Mais cela n'a pas été
parce que j'étais superbe, ma prof était la superbe! Elle m'a guide en me laissant lire
des journaux en Français et en me faisant écouter des émissions radio et de la musique
en Français. Et voilà, cela a fonctionné! J'ai reçu le Diplôme Approfondi de Langue
Française DALF C2 du CIEP l'année passée.
Même si j'ai réussi cet examen, je fais toujours des erreurs. Alors si quelqu'un a une
correction à faire, n'hésitez pas à me contacter.

Message clef: Lisez des journaux, écoutez des émissions radio et de la musique
en Français. Essayez de penser dans la langue. Trouvez quelqu'un qui parle la langue,
qui veuille vous aider à améliorer vos connaissances de la langue Française!

Edited by Mae on 17 August 2012 at 11:20pm

7 persons have voted this message useful

Fasulye
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Germany
fasulyespolyglotblog
Joined 5607 days ago

5460 posts - 6006 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: German*, DutchC1, EnglishB2, French, Italian, Spanish, Esperanto
Studies: Latin, Danish, Norwegian, Turkish
Personal Language Map

Message 7 of 143
22 April 2012 at 6:24am | IP Logged 
NL: Veel succes met jouw eerste log hier en met jouw studie van het Nederlands!

Fasulye

Mae
Trilingual Octoglot
Pro Member
Germany
Joined 4751 days ago

299 posts - 499 votes 
Personal Language Map

Message 8 of 143
22 April 2012 at 11:54am | IP Logged 
Dankjewel, Fasulye!

This discussion contains 143 messages over 18 pages: 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version