gelfling9
United Kingdom
Joined 4411 days ago

4 posts - 4 votes
Speaks: English*

Message 1 of 6
22 April 2012 at 3:41pm | IP Logged 
Hello all^^

I'm a newbie to this forum and still finding my way around, please forgive me if this is posted in the incorrect place!

My interest in Japan began around 20 years ago when I went to college, I'm now at the age and point in life where I would like to do something with this interest as I believe it is here to stay!^^ I have just started to learn Hiragana using the book 'Lets Learn Hiragana' by Yasuko Kosaka Mitamura and believe I wish to take this all way to learning Japanese fluently.

My interest in Japanese culture has been solid, but what I am hesitant about is what I can do with it here in the UK. I have a young family so I am not looking to live and work in Japan...at least not for the near future, but work-wise, I am wondering about genuine career opportunities present here in the UK.

If anyone has any tips or advice on this, they would be much appreciated - thank you!
1 person has voted this message useful

Lightning
Groupie
United Kingdom
livelanguagelove.bloRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5149 days ago

58 posts - 70 votes 
Studies: Japanese

Message 2 of 6
23 April 2012 at 12:48am | IP Logged 
The first things that spring to mind is tourism and translation. If you get your Japanese to a good enough level, maybe you could look into tourism related jobs where you'd be interacting with Japanese clients or maybe get into translation/interpreting. Obviously for professional translation you'll have to do a lot of extra study and maybe even have to do a course, but it's definitely worth looking in to.

I'm in the UK too and have been studying Japanese for a while now. I'm only 19 but I've helped out with a few tourism projects here and had a few opportunities to use Japanese.

gelfling9
United Kingdom
Joined 4411 days ago

4 posts - 4 votes

Message 3 of 6
23 April 2012 at 11:09am | IP Logged 
Lightning wrote:
The first things that spring to mind is tourism and translation. If you get your Japanese to a good enough level, maybe you could look into tourism related jobs where you'd be interacting with Japanese clients or maybe get into translation/interpreting. Obviously for professional translation you'll have to do a lot of extra study and maybe even have to do a course, but it's definitely worth looking in to.

I'm in the UK too and have been studying Japanese for a while now. I'm only 19 but I've helped out with a few tourism projects here and had a few opportunities to use Japanese.

Hello Lightning, thank you for the reply and good pointers!
This is definitely the type of route I wish to go down with regard to using Japanese in the UK - I will start researching the opportunities that may be available for the future. I'm quite willing to do a course as I've done several OU courses as a mature student. I wish I would have known what I wanted to do at 19 too...I'm now 38 which may affect permanent job prospects, but I'm hoping that would not be as big a factor in something like freelancing.

Thanks again and good luck with your studies too.

p.s Is it 'Lightning' as in FFXIII/FFXIII-2? ^_^

Khendon
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4420 days ago

13 posts - 31 votes
Studies: Japanese

Message 4 of 6
24 April 2012 at 2:56pm | IP Logged 
There is quite a big Japanese population in London I think (and some fantastic restaurants, nom nom). Also several English language schools with lots of Asian pupils from Japan, Korea etc.

I would guess tourism may be feasible as suggested above, but other than that, unless we are talking international business or work as translator, I can't think of much else.

Khen

gelfling9
United Kingdom
Joined 4411 days ago

4 posts - 4 votes

Message 5 of 6
24 April 2012 at 8:40pm | IP Logged 
Khendon wrote:
There is quite a big Japanese population in London I think (and some fantastic restaurants, nom nom). Also several English language schools with lots of Asian pupils from Japan, Korea etc.

I would guess tourism may be feasible as suggested above, but other than that, unless we are talking international business or work as translator, I can't think of much else.

Khen

Thank you Khen for your reply ^__^
Yes, I think there is a large Japanese community in London, but I believe this is somewhere around Fulham or Acton (or so I have been told) -not local for me, but not exactly out of reach either ^_~

One of the mum's at my children's school originates from Kyoto and moved to the UK (with no English) for study at college some 15-20 years ago. She's a wonderfully kind and patient person...but for some reason I always feel stupid talking to her about Japan, I guess because of my pure lack of physical knowledge about the country. In any case, I am wary not to 'lean' too much on her.

I'm thinking freelance interpreter/translation work would be ideal and will focus along these main lines.

darkwhispersdal
Wales
Joined 5851 days ago

294 posts - 363 votes 
Studies: Ancient Greek, French, Italian, Spanish, Russian, Mandarin, Japanese, Latin

Message 6 of 6
28 April 2012 at 9:19pm | IP Logged 
There is a demand in universities and some private schools for bilingual tutors to help Japanese students with their English. Also some universities run large research programs where they need Japanese interpreters on their projects although those would last as long as the research program.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version