Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5115 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 1 of 656
22 April 2012 at 11:02pm | IP Logged 
This is the thread for registering and making updates of your achievements for: THE SUPER CHALLENGE!

And what may you ask is the Super Challenge (unless you have followed the initial thread and know already :-)

The Super Challenge starts on 1st of May 2012 and ends on 31st of December 2013.

It entails:

- 100 films
- 100 books
- in 20 months

There are however possibilities to do variations.

- You can do half a Super Challenge which would entail either 100 books, 100 films or 50 of each.
- Instead of one full Super Challenge in one language, you can also do two (or more) half Super Challenges, and decide how you want to combine them.
- If you really want to give yourself a challenge, you could do The Super Duper Challenge – which in addition to the elements mentioned above would entail 100 units of 30 minutes conversation practice. Since this is much more difficult to achieve and measure, this is just for the really adventurous ones, but I leave the option open.

To register, you state:

LANGUAGE:

CHALLENGE: ( FULL, HALF, SUPER DUPER)

CURRENT LEVEL:

COMMENTS: Any comments you feel like adding as to your reasons for choice of language, type of challenge or material or your expectations for the outcome.

Those of you who will use your TAC logs, or who have created own logs for this particular challenge are welcome to link to them as well.

OBS: PLEASE NOTE THAT THIS IS THE THREAD FOR REGISTERING AND UPDATING YOUR ACHEIVEMENTS AND FOR GIVING ENCOURAGEMENTS TO YOU FELLOW SUPER CHALLENGERS ONLY: FOR QUESTIONS ABOUT PLEASE GO TO THIS THREAD:

Super challenge question thread

-----------
If you are a beginner, you can start with the films. And it counts even if you see it with subtitles in your own language, or even if you see the film in your own language but with TL subtitles.

If you start out with the 100 films this year, I am sure you will be able to do the 100 books next year.

If you just have 5 books and 5 films then your read them 20 times. Though my guess is that by the time you have read/seen them 5 times, you WILL get other films or books.

So the rules would be the following:
- Every film counts as long as they have at least voice or subtitles in the TL
- If it lasts less than 45 minutes (a show/series) it counts as half a film. If it lasts for more than three hours it counts as two films.
- If you want to use podcasts or audiobooks, 1 hour and a half is the equivalence of 1 film.
- Every book counts. If it is less than a 100 pages, it counts as half a book. If it is more than 500 pages it counts as two books. 100-499 = 1, 500-749 =2 books, 750-999 = 3, etc.
- You can do fiction or any other material – a documentary on whales, or a book about gardening works just as well as a novel.
- You can see the same films/read the same books again and again
- If you have a book of less than 100 pages, lest’s say 80, you can read 20-30 of the pages again to make it count as a book
- With parallel books you count the pages in your TL – minimum 100 pages to make it count as a book.
- A manga from 100 to 500 pages counts as 1/5 of a book, 500 upwards counts as 2/5 of a book
- A children's book with large letter, pictures and few pages counts as 1/5th of a book. If it seems too big to count for only 1/5th, use your best judgement.
- You can be at a B1 maximum when the challenge starts
- The material covered for this challenge can be counted and done in parallel with both the 6WC and the Tadoku challenge (so if you participate in all three you could at one point count the same book three times :-)
- If you want to join later than May1st 2012 or end before December 31st 2013, you are welcome.
- If you do L-R it is up to you whether you want to count it as reading (in which case 100-499 pages would count as one book) or if you want to count it as film, in which case 1 hour and a half would count as one film.
- If you enter book pages, the bot counts pages in another way than the rule I have set up here, - don't worry. Just use the system which motivates you the most.

PLEASE REMEMBER THAT YOU CAN REGISTER IMMEDIATELY, BUT YOU CAN ONLY MAKE UPDATES FROM MAY 1ST, AND WITH MATERIAL YOU HAVE STARTED ON MAY 1ST .

If you are absolutely desperate to start already, then start reading a book now, and look up the words, and then you simply start rereading it again on May 1st. Just remember that you can only enter with material that you have actually read after May 1st. You can’t read the first 200 pages now, do the last 20 on May 1st and enter with a book that same evening.

But the most important thing about this particular challenge, is that you do this for yourself, and any material you cover which you would not have covered had you not participated in this challenge – means success.

I do not know how many of us who will succeed – life will probably get in the way for some of us, and there will be days, weeks, even months where we don’t get much done.
I do however have this mental image which probably sounds idiotic, of those of who still are still hanging in there running (or stumbling) over the finishing line together, after having made a monumental effort, and having taken their target language to a whole new level.

So ladies, gentlemen and minors: Let the registration commence, and let not the best man win: Let as many of us as possible win!

PLEASE NOTE: An angel has come to answer my prayers and has made a bot for this challenge. It would be easiest if everyone registered also on the bot as we can then see where we all are at a glance. I therefore invite you all to register BOTH IN THIS THREAD AND AT THE BOT.

REGISTRATION THREAD

Edited by Solfrid Cristin on 01 January 2013 at 3:30pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5115 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 

Message 2 of 656
22 April 2012 at 11:03pm | IP Logged 
REGISTERING FOR THE SUPER CHALLENGE

LANGUAGE: RUSSIAN

CHALLENGE; THE SUPER DUPER CHALLENGE: 100 FILMS, 100 BOOKS, AND 100 30 MINUTE UNITS OF CONVERSATION

CURRENT LEVEL: A2 (A1)

The choice of language was easy: Russian is the language I desperately, passionately want to get better at. I can make very basic conversation, but my understanding and reading abilities are horrible.

That, my friends, is about to change.

With the help of the 6WC, the Taduko challenge, and this Super Challenge I am planning to get to the Promised Land: basic fluency in Russian, and at least B1.
It was more difficult to choose challenge. Since I am the one who has proposed the challenge, I was obviously going to do a full challenge – but could I add the conversation? I decided that I could. I have individual Russian classes, and two Russian girls who have promised to help me with my Russian - so I will take advantage of that.

I also have a ton of American movies with voiceover in Russian which I plan to see, and currently about 10-15 books – but I can read some of them again, and visit my local library for more. Please remember the services of your library everyone. With the time frame we are dealing with here they can get you both films and books in your target language, if you only ask them.

GOOD LUCK EVERYONE!

Edited by Solfrid Cristin on 23 April 2012 at 1:30pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5115 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 

Message 3 of 656
22 April 2012 at 11:04pm | IP Logged 
REGISTRATIONS SO FAR:

RUSSIAN     Solfrid Cristin (SD), Tarvos, Tecktight (1/2), Mowli(1/2), Volte (1/2)

FRENCH     Jeffers (1/2) Sh'Naya (1/2), Kerrie (1/2), Geoffw (1/2) dandt, microsnout, Silverpolyglot, emk, hjordis (1/2 SD), Eginhard, maydayayday SD+, Moniker
(SD), markdtmi (1/2), napoleon, Sabotai (1/2) DaraghM (1/2 SD), kaloohla

GERMAN     Tbreit (SD), Tecktight (1/2), Serpent (1/2), Kerrie (1/2), Sabotai (1/2), Yashinka (1/2), sofiapofia, Cavesa (1/2), habgglieb SD
(1/2)

SPANISH     Sh'Naya (1/2), Kerrie (SD), Necronos, Fitzwig, luke (SD), camdo2, kenny, Mowli, dbag SD,mick33 (1/2), Espejismo, Marikki, Cavesa (1/2)

JAPANESE     Sh'Naya (1/2), Hjordis (1/2 SD) , Woodsei (SD), Sabotai (1/2), Brun Ugle, Yashinka (1/2), g-bod, Tamise, Volte (SD). Katze (1/2)

ITALIAN     Serpent, GRagazzo (1/2) garyb (1/2 SD), Kerrie (1/2)

POLISH     Serpent 1/2

DANISH     Serpent (1/2), Einar

PORTUGUESE     Serpent (1/2)

DUTCH     Hekje (Geoffw - 1/2)

HUNGARIAN     appelduvide, hribecek (1/2)

TURKISH     Piksea, Sunja

SWEDISH     Silverpolyglot (1/2), sofiapofia (1/2)

KOREAN     Sabotai (1/2), druckfehler SD. with a twist:-), Kevin Hsu (1/2)

MANDARIN     camdo2, Sprachprofi SD, Snowflake (1/2)

HINDI Jeffers (1/2)

BELORUSSIAN Martinovitch

PERSIAN Martinovitch (1/2)

VIETNAMESE clumsy

IRISH Teango (SD), Eginhard (1/2)

LITHUANIAN: Eginhard (1/2)

Grrr. Here I filled everything into a nice table which obviously did not work here. Oh well, I hope you can all
see who studeis what.

If I have made mistakes in filling out this, then please let me know IN THE OTHER THREAD.

I have written 1/2 for all half challenges, whether they are 50/50 or just books or just films. When it says SD
it means Super duper, and when the name only is there, that means one regular Super Challenge.

Edited by Solfrid Cristin on 30 April 2012 at 12:12am

4 persons have voted this message useful

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4488 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 4 of 656
22 April 2012 at 11:14pm | IP Logged 
LANGUAGE: Russian

CHALLENGE: FULL

CURRENT LEVEL: I feel this is hard to judge, but at a random guess I would say I have passed from A1 into A2 now. A2, I guess?

COMMENTS: I love speaking Russian. And this is probably the hardest of my current languages to get exposure to, so once I finish my textbooks this is also my way of keeping up my Russian.

I considered French, and I did order some French books to read, but I think it would be much more challenging to pick a language that I have much less of a background in.

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4690 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 5 of 656
22 April 2012 at 11:36pm | IP Logged 
LANGUAGE: Hindi and French

CHALLENGE: Half challenge 50/50 for each (=100/100 total)

CURRENT LEVEL: A1 in French, A2 or so in Hindi

COMMENTS: Been studying Hindi on and off for years, but never too intensely. This should really kick it up a lot. I have about 40 Hindi DVD's, and about that many books in Hindi as well. Most of the Hindi films are over 3 hours, so they count as two films. However, most of my Hindi books are shorter than 100 pages, so they'll count as half books. I hope to complete the half challenge for Hindi, but I'm pretty sure I wont get so far with the French challenge.

tbreit
United States
Joined 4996 days ago

17 posts - 26 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Spanish

Message 6 of 656
22 April 2012 at 11:38pm | IP Logged 
Language: German

Challenge: Super Duper

Current Level: False beginner(2 years of High school German in the 70's)

Comments: I hope to speak, read, and be able to listen(understand) with ease after this challenge.

Sh'Naya
Diglot
Groupie
Germany
Joined 6539 days ago

48 posts - 65 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: Spanish, Japanese, French

Message 7 of 656
22 April 2012 at 11:50pm | IP Logged 
LANGUAGES: French, Spanish and Japanese

CHALLENGE: French: HALF (50/50)
              Spanish: HALF (50/50)
              Japanese: HALF (100 films)

CURRENT LEVEL: French: A2?
                  Spanish: overall B1
                  Japanese: passed JLPT N5

Edited by Sh'Naya on 22 April 2012 at 11:51pm

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6378 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 8 of 656
23 April 2012 at 12:00am | IP Logged 
LANGUAGES: Italian, Polish, German, Danish, Portuguese

CHALLENGE:
Italian 100/100
Polish 50/50
German 50/50
Danish 100 movies
Portuguese 100 books

CURRENT LEVEL:
Italian, German, Portuguese - about B1 but not used to reading
Danish - A2
Polish - A2 with the advantage of being a Russian native speaker

My log
My lists will be here :)

Edited by Serpent on 23 April 2012 at 12:05am

This discussion contains 656 messages over 82 pages: 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version