United States
Joined 5343 days ago

2615 posts - 8806 votes 
Speaks: English*, FrenchB2
Studies: Spanish, Ancient Egyptian
Personal Language Map

Message 1 of 7
23 April 2012 at 1:10pm | IP Logged 
Help! When I'm speaking French at conversational speed (and not pre-planning each
phrase), I routinely say "de le", "à le" and "à les". I have no problem with the other
mandatory contractions, which are all perfectly obvious, but I just don't reliably
produce "du", "au" or "aux" except in a few fixed phrases.

Background: I'm around B1, studying intensively for DELF B2. My brain is just starting
to spontaneously produce the "en" pronoun, and every once in a while manages "y"
outside of fixed expressions. Again, all this is in conversation; I have no problems
when I have time to think.

I'd like to do something about "du", "au" or "aux" before they fossilize. How do people
tackle problems like this? More input and time? Hours and hours of FSI drills? Asking
patient native speakers for endless corrections?

Edited by emk on 23 April 2012 at 1:10pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5192 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 2 of 7
23 April 2012 at 3:42pm | IP Logged 
Correct yourself every time you do it. If you have a language partner, have them give you sign every time so you can self-correct. Concentrate on the noun phrase as a unit, starting with du, au, etc. If you find that's not enough, then practice with self-talk. I really don't see how more input would help fix that.
3 persons have voted this message useful

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4518 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 3 of 7
23 April 2012 at 3:59pm | IP Logged 
Saw it during my first French class as well. Guess it's just practice, endless practice.

sctroyenne
Diglot
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5202 days ago

739 posts - 1312 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Spanish, Irish

Message 4 of 7
24 April 2012 at 5:06pm | IP Logged 
It wouldn't hurt here to work with a grammar exercise book and do some drills (both written and oral).
It's not so bad to do them when you're working mainly on the big picture than in language courses
where all you do is drill minutia. And for this drills will be important because there all sorts of set
phrases and connectors where "de" is invariable (like after a negation - Je n'ai pas de pommes, beaucoup
de, etc).
2 persons have voted this message useful

emk
Diglot
United States
Joined 5343 days ago

2615 posts - 8806 votes 
Speaks: English*, FrenchB2
Studies: Spanish, Ancient Egyptian
Personal Language Map

Message 5 of 7
06 May 2012 at 8:58pm | IP Logged 
Thank you for your advice! I really like the idea of focusing on complete noun phrases
as a unit, and doing some oral drills. I'll have to see if FSI has anything.

Most of the examples of invariable 'de' seem to be quantity specifiers ('beaucoup de',
'un peu de', 'pas mal de', etc.) or the negative form of the partitive article ('il n'y
a pas de lait').

In any case, I'm gradually starting to produce "du" automatically. It's nothing like
reliable yet, but it's getting slightly better.

Oddly, I think some of my progress is due my ongoing work on gender. I've been training
myself to really notice the gender of words in input. Until recently, I was
picking up most of gender cues from un/une, mon/ma, ton/ta and son/sa, but I was
largely ignoring the distinctions between du/de la, au/à la, and even sometimes le/la
in input.

This basically forced me to learn every occurrence of 'du' as a special case, because
my definite article was essentially 'l<mumble>' for many words. And my brain couldn't
come up with a consistent rule for 'de+l<mumble> = ?'.

So I'll spend another week or two firming up the gender cues, and then try your other
suggestions. Thank you!

sctroyenne
Diglot
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5202 days ago

739 posts - 1312 votes 
Studies: Spanish, Irish

Message 6 of 7
10 May 2012 at 3:18am | IP Logged 
It might help to review some of the general rules for gender (and their exceptions) and start drilling
them with "du" and "de la". As for the mumbling it's a common trick for foreign speakers to fudge
gender they don't know so one of my teachers would insist on pronouncing the article clearly and with
confidence because if you always fudge it you'll never learn. You'll need to have your wife/your teacher
help you reinforce the right gender. The good thing about more advanced level of language the more
regular it should get (all the "tion" words for example, which are all feminine of course).

schoenewaelder
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5371 days ago

759 posts - 1197 votes 
Studies: German, Spanish, Dutch

Message 7 of 7
10 May 2012 at 2:42pm | IP Logged 
emk wrote:
I have no problem with the other mandatory contractions, which are all perfectly obvious

What others? If you mean "de les" -> "des" then I don't understand why you would have a problem with "du" and "au"

Otherwise, can't really offer any advice, except it seemed to be one of the things most people absorbed reasonably well in school lessons, so just tradititional grammar exercises.

edit: oops, you said "conversational". We didn't really do "conversational" in school, I was thinking of written language.

Edited by schoenewaelder on 10 May 2012 at 2:44pm

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version