learnlatvian.info
Joined 6312 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 
Speaks: Latvian*, English, German, Russian
Studies: Korean, Finnish

Message 153 of 559
07 August 2012 at 9:54am | IP Logged 
Monday

I did spend some time on Finnish yesterday, I finished lesson 1 of Teach Yourself. There were a few expressions there that I didn't know but mostly this lesson was good for review. Besides, it's always nice to read something in a foreign language and understand it. The audio was useful too, especially the last dialogue, I listened to it about 5 times to practice my listening comprehension.

Overall, though, I didn't do much yesterday because I was otherwise occupied during most of the day. I did the Anki reviews at night again and it wasn't fun. I don't like it when Anki feels like a chore. I'm a little surprised the review count has climbed up recently, it's probably due to me entering less new words during the last week.

Yesterday I realized that the Korean words 아프다 and 아파하다 have the same relationship as 좋다 and 좋아하다. I love these aha! moments. There was a lesson about this connection in TTMIK level 2 which I repeated recently and it was very useful and illuminating. If you're not sure about how these words are similar and different I recommend you give the lesson a look too.

------------------------------------------------------

Today

I watched some of the Olympic tennis a couple of days ago and the livestream had an Italian commentary. Although I've never studied it, I understood a bit of it, probably more than I would have understood in Finnish and certainly more than I would have understood in Korean. It made me want to pick up a new language that's close to one I already know just to enjoy the benefits of that.

I did lesson 3x04 on TTMIK yesterday, it was about the (ㅡ)ㄹ까요 construction that I already knew from my textbook. Speaking of the textbook, I haven't studied it for a while so that's on today's agenda.

I've almost decided to get rid of my Korean phrases Anki deck. It's much more difficult for me to review than the regular vocabulary deck, especially when I'm tired. I've realized that when studying grammar, I like to concentrate on one concept for a while and not jump around among them the way Anki forces me to do.
1 person has voted this message useful

Evita
Tetraglot
Latvia
learnlatvian.info
Joined 6312 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 

Message 154 of 559
08 August 2012 at 9:44am | IP Logged 
I did the Level 2 Test on TTMIK yesterday. It went better than I expected because I had adjusted my expectations way down after the first test.

Basically, I'm quite happy with the result, especially because the dialogue was at normal speaking speed. I didn't understand much on my first listening, maybe 10-20%; I kept thinking that the words I was hearing were familiar but I couldn't decipher them fast enough. Also, I had forgotten what 일본 meant. I was determined not to use the dictionary so I thought about it long and hard and finally remembered that it meant 'Japan'. Then I listened again and it made more sense. Then I listened to everything again for several more times, pausing whenever I couldn't figure something out. In the end, I understood probably 90% of the dialogue without looking at the transcript. My biggest stumbling blocks were the 'if...' sentences, I think they weren't pronounced very clearly. My vocabulary was very good, there were only two words I didn't know - 'foreign language' (never heard it before) and 'these days' (it was in Anki but I hadn't learned it well yet).

In addition to that, I also studied a bit of lesson 7 from my textbook. The topic was the past tense, which I already know, but the difficulty was that the book introduces three politeness levels at once while TTMIK sticks to the simple polite level.

I also watched a bit of Revenge with Korean subtitles and Gumiho, and I added many new words to Anki. Yesterday was a great day for Korean.

Regarding Finnish, I didn't have any time left for it after all that work on Korean so I just picked some random words from the lesson 10 vocabulary section and added them to Anki, and then did the reviews. I'm hoping to do more today.

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5295 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Korean, Japanese

Message 155 of 559
09 August 2012 at 5:11pm | IP Logged 
Evita wrote:
Yesterday I realized that the Korean words 아프다 and 아파하다 have the same relationship as 좋다 and 좋아하다. I love these aha! moments. There was a lesson about this connection in TTMIK level 2 which I repeated recently and it was very useful and illuminating. If you're not sure about how these words are similar and different I recommend you give the lesson a look too.

Quite a few adjectives make that shift regularly (싫다 > 싫어하다, 슬프다 > 슬퍼하다, etc.). In many of those cases, the best description is that it turns an adjective into an emotional state. For example: 슬프다 (to be sad) > 슬퍼하다 (to feel sad).

Evita
Tetraglot
Latvia
learnlatvian.info
Joined 6312 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 

Message 156 of 559
10 August 2012 at 9:55am | IP Logged 
Yes, like I said, the TTMIK lesson described all of that quite thoroughly.

Random fact about Korean: they have two words for "already". You use one when you learn something new like "You're already here?" and you use the other one when both you and the listener are already aware of this information, for example "It's already dark."

Moving onto what I did in the last two days, well, it's a mixed situation. I'm barely keeping my Anki reviews under control, I didn't finish all of them yesterday. But I'll catch up like always, no worries. I do want to pat myself on the back for sticking with Anki even when I'm tired at night and have no desire to do it.

I wanted to focus on Finnish more this week but it's not going so well for two reasons. One - I haven't had a lot of time to study, and two - I can't afford to neglect my Korean because if I do I will forget it much faster than Finnish. Still, I managed to almost finish the first (big) text about the sauna, look a bit at lesson 2 of TY and also to check out the youtube links for authentic Finnish materials that were recommended to me on page 18 of this thread. And I have to say - those are very good recommendations indeed, especially the cartoon for children. Even though it has no English subtitles, the speaking is so slow and clear that I can try to understand something anyway. I'm sure I'll return to it lots more times in the future.

As for Korean (한국어는), the Anki reviews kept me busy, and I also did TTMIK lesson 3x05.

Ojorolla
Diglot
Groupie
France
Joined 4725 days ago

90 posts - 130 votes 
Speaks: French*, English

Message 157 of 559
10 August 2012 at 12:23pm | IP Logged 
Evita wrote:
Yes, like I said, the TTMIK lesson described all of that quite thoroughly.

It's not as simple as that. You have to know which one can be used in the 1st, 2nd or 3rd person and in the affirmative or the interrogative, and so on. Plus there are exceptions. It would be too long to write them all here, so refer to your grammar book for more details.

Evita wrote:

Random fact about Korean: they have two words for "already". You use one when you learn something new like "You're already here?" and you use the other one when both you and the listener are already aware of this information, for example "It's already dark."

I don't know which words you are referring to. '벌써' comes across my mind, but I think it can be used for both cases.

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6357 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 158 of 559
10 August 2012 at 1:03pm | IP Logged 
from my Russian point of view English has two words for it as well :-) e.g. "have you found it yet?"

Evita
Tetraglot
Latvia
learnlatvian.info
Joined 6312 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 

Message 159 of 559
10 August 2012 at 2:23pm | IP Logged 
Quote:
from my Russian point of view English has two words for it as well :-) e.g. "have you found it yet?"

Oh yes, I agree, and it's more confusing in English because because the word "yet" can have another meaning, the same as "still": I haven't found it yet / I still haven't found it. The reason I mentioned that fact about Korean is that it struck me as curious and unexpected, I mean the dividing line - whether people already know this information or not.

Yeah, '벌써' is one word, and the other one is '이미'.

Quote:
It's not as simple as that. (...)

Well, fine, then, I'll rephrase my statement as "quite thoroughly for my level". Did you listen to their lesson 2x22? It mentioned when to use the subject and object particles and the fact that you can't use the imperative mood with descriptive verbs (which I hadn't thought about before but which makes total sense). So I think they covered the most important aspects, and if there are some finer nuances to their usage, well, I'll learn them when I learn them.

Evita
Tetraglot
Latvia
learnlatvian.info
Joined 6312 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 

Message 160 of 559
12 August 2012 at 10:12am | IP Logged 
I have a feeling that trying to focus more on Finnish is causing me to study less Korean but not more Finnish. Weird. My enthusiasm for language learning has been kind of low for a second week in a row already. It's not that I don't want to study exactly, it's just that there are other things I want to do more.

I did lesson 2 of TYF, everything up to the exercises, and I'm pleasantly surprised about their grammar explanations. Maybe it's because I'm more comfortable with English than with Russian. In any case, it will definitely be useful as a review, and who knows, maybe I'll learn something new in the later lessons too.

I listened to a couple of the dialogues of this lesson without reading them first and I could understand practically everything. I've had little listening practice in Finnish so this is useful.

Random fun fact in Finnish: They don't ask "Where do you work?", they ask "Where are you at work?" instead and answer in the same way.

There's not much to report on Korean, I just did the Anki reviews. I've noticed that Koreans sometimes like to repeat the same syllable in a word, for example '똑똑하다' (to be smart). I think it's cute.

This discussion contains 559 messages over 70 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version