Latvia
learnlatvian.info
Joined 6333 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 
Speaks: Latvian*, English, German, Russian
Studies: Korean, Finnish

Message 169 of 559
19 August 2012 at 9:49am | IP Logged 
I don't have any plans to go to Finland right now but even if I do go there I'm pretty sure I won't be going to the sauna. We have them here in Latvia too (we call them "somu pirts") and I'm not particularly fond of them.

I think I'm slowly getting more comfortable with the noun forms of the Korean verbs. The two ways of making them (-ki and -n got) were first introduced in level 2, and now they are mentioned again in level 3 lessons 9 and 10. I don't know how I will manage to remember in which cases I must use which ending. So far they have introduced only 4 usages (I think) and I'm already starting to get them mixed up. I'm trying not to think about what I'll do when they introduce yet another way of making verbs into nouns.

I didn't study from my Korean textbook yesterday, I watched Gumiho instead. I'm in episode 6 and it's finally getting interesting. I can also notice I'm making progress when I watch it because I can pick out more phrases, for instance 할 수 있어 (I can do it).

I spent a while on Finnish too and finished TYF lesson 3. This feels more like reviewing, not studying, but it's so rewarding to think that half a year ago I would have been (and was) totally confused by these lessons and now I can do one in a couple of days like it's no big deal.
1 person has voted this message useful

Evita
Tetraglot
Latvia
learnlatvian.info
Joined 6333 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 

Message 170 of 559
20 August 2012 at 3:49pm | IP Logged 
I wanted to read a bit of that novel I have in Finnish on Sunday but it didn't work out quite that way, I spent several hours reading it in English instead. Haha. The best thing was that I allowed myself not to feel guilty about it. I only reviewed about 20% of my Anki cards... Oh well. Maybe this is the beginning of the end of my Anki journey. I hope not. In any case, I intend to lower the priority of language learning for the next few days, or at least not study if I don't feel like it. I need to rest a bit and gather my strength for the next period of studying.

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6937 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 171 of 559
20 August 2012 at 5:56pm | IP Logged 
Evita wrote:
Keeping in line with my new focus on grammar, I was looking for some information about the Finnish direct object on the internet and I came across this site. I only got as far as the 7th noun type but I'll be sure to read it all.

Ugh, ielanguages uses Vähämäki's sketch. It's detailed and he's left no stone unturned but he divides the word classes so finely that I found it unmanageable as I worked through his "Mastering Finnish" last year. I'd also beware of his description of the direct object since he looks at it through the western I-E lens by letting direct object in general be called "accusative" even though the approach has been questioned in this study. The new edition of Iso suomen kielioppi no longer follows this approach and limits the occurence of a distinct accusative to certain pronouns with the ending -t (e.g. minä ~ minut, sinä ~ sinut, kuka ~ kenet). This "non-western" approach is also the typical way it's taught in Finland and how I came to grips with it when using "Finnish for Foreigners" (an excellent course, by the way).

If I were you, I'd read this description for an introduction to the direct object which also deemphasizes the equation of accusative and direct object.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Evita
Tetraglot
Latvia
learnlatvian.info
Joined 6333 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 

Message 172 of 559
22 August 2012 at 9:46am | IP Logged 
Chung wrote:
If I were you, I'd read this description for an introduction to the direct object which also deemphasizes the equation of accusative and direct object.

Thanks, that's a very good explanation indeed.

So I've been doing some other things instead of studying. I've done about a half of my Anki reviews or less the last couple of days, and the pile keeps growing. I hope to catch up with it by the end of the week.

I did listen to a new TTMIK lesson yesterday but the subject it covered (ㅂ irregular verbs) wasn't new, I'd read about it in my textbook.

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6937 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 173 of 559
25 August 2012 at 5:37am | IP Logged 
I just spent a few minutes catching up with Scandinavia and the World and its latest panel on Gangnam Style made me think of your log.

The panel refers to this music video and I don't know if you'll be able to follow the lyrics but maybe you'll still find it absurdly catchy as I did :-)

Haksaeng
Korea, South
Joined 5979 days ago

166 posts - 250 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Korean, Arabic (Levantine)

Message 174 of 559
25 August 2012 at 7:20am | IP Logged 
advancedkorean.com did a lesson about the music video, including explanations of the lyrics.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Evita
Tetraglot
Latvia
learnlatvian.info
Joined 6333 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 

Message 175 of 559
25 August 2012 at 12:10pm | IP Logged 
I don't get that music video (or the song itself) and what's more, I don't get why suddenly some American or European sites are talking about this song. I don't see anything special in it. Maybe I'd have liked it better if I hadn't seen that video which I've already mostly erased from my memory (I saw it a week or so ago) because of how awful I thought it was. Clearly I lack whatever it is that's needed to appreciate this artist.

Speaking of lyrics, I wouldn't attempt to learn them even if I liked the song, I have so much more grammar to learn before I can start trying to make sense of songs.

Now, as for my progress in both of my languages, it's as I expected - I haven't done almost anything except trying to work on Anki now and then. My total review count is 533 at the moment and I hope to get it down below 300 by tonight. Tomorrow will be busy again but on Monday I'll try to settle back into my normal routine.

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5316 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Korean, Japanese

Message 176 of 559
25 August 2012 at 4:36pm | IP Logged 
Evita wrote:
I don't get why suddenly some American or European sites are talking about this song.

Yeah, for some reason that music video has just gone completely viral here. In fact, a friend sent me a link the other day to a post about it on Gawker. I think a big part of it may be the combination of a somewhat strange music video mixed with the equally odd dance moves that song has. Of course, Psy is a bit unique anyway (albeit entertaining), so it's no big surprise that he is the artist that had a video go viral like this.

Edited by Warp3 on 25 August 2012 at 4:36pm

This discussion contains 559 messages over 70 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version