forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5317 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Korean, Japanese

Message 201 of 559
23 September 2012 at 4:52pm | IP Logged 
Evita wrote:
I still have a lot of trouble with sentences like "밖에 비가 오는 것 같아요." though, specifically with verbs turned into nouns and their usage. I have learned all this, I know it theoretically but somehow it refuses to click in my brain. I don't know or can't decide when to use this construction.

The A+(으)ㄴ 것 같아 / V+는 것 같다 form as a whole is used to state that you think something is true or that it seems something is true. It's often used as a way to soften a statement that you aren't 100% positive about.

밖에 비가 와요 (It's raining outside.)
밖에 비가 오는 것 같아요 (I think it's raining outside. / It seems to be raining outside.)
그래요 (That's right. / That's how it is.)
그런 것 같아요 (That seems to be the case.)

You can also use the other two verb tense forms with this construction (V+(으)ㄴ 것 같다 = to seem that something was true; V+(으)ㄹ 것 같다 = to seem that something will be true).

Evita wrote:
For example, today I think I caught one of them saying 거짓말 마지 마세요 (don't lie). Perhaps I'm remembering the phrase wrong but I'm pretty sure the translation is correct.

That was probably 거짓말 하지 마세요.
1 person has voted this message useful

Evita
Tetraglot
Latvia
learnlatvian.info
Joined 6334 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 
Speaks: Latvian*, English, German, Russian
Studies: Korean, Finnish

Message 202 of 559
23 September 2012 at 11:21pm | IP Logged 
거짓말 하지 마세요, of course. I had a feeling my sentence didn't really make sense.

Finnish

I found my Finnish groove today. I L-Red all of the dialogues from lesson 4 of TYF, just as a review, and then I did it again. All seven of them. I wanted to be 100% comfortable with the texts before I moved on and I think I achieved maybe 95%. I think I'll be able to give directions in my sleep in Finnish now.

Lesson 5 has a couple of texts about a guy buying train and plane tickets, and then one very long text where a woman tells about her vacation plans - where she will travel, what she will do in those places etc. I already knew about 80% of vocabulary in this text, maybe even more, but it's a difficult text for me because it's so long (almost two full minutes) and when I'm listening to it I can't concentrate for the full length of it. Or maybe it's that my brain catches on a familiar word and tries to recall its meaning and the audio has already moved on so I miss bits here and there. I'll keep working on this text.

One thing that lessons 4 and 5 have been good for is my recognition of spoken numbers. It's not ideal yet but it's much better than it was a month ago. I also added some new words to Anki from lesson 5 and I feel good about that. There was a period of a week or more where I didn't add any new words.

Korean

I finished unit 7 on SNU. My opinion of this course is still very high. It has very simple texts with audio, grammar explanations and exercises. The grammar covered so far has been mostly review for me but it's still good to see different examples and explanations. In the end, I think the two short texts at the end of each unit are the most useful for me because I get to practice both my reading and listening skills. The listening usually doesn't go smoothly on the first try because of unfamiliar vocabulary in the text. Then I make sure to go back to the text a week or two later after I've entered the new words into Anki. Then I drill the audio until I can understand everything in real time.

TTMIK lesson 3x23 is their first Word builder lesson. Normally they build their lessons around a grammar concept but this time they built it around a Chinese character, the one that is spelled 학:

It's a beautiful character. Thank God I don't have to learn how to write it.

Anyway, the lesson introduced many words containing this character, like school, student, scholarship, science, mathematics, etc. I was surprised they didn't include 대학교 (university). I like this concept but this particular lesson wasn't very useful for me because I already knew many of these words and I had already realized that the 학 in all of them must come from the same source.

Lesson 3x24 explained the 르 irregularity for verbs. I already knew of 몰라요 so it wasn't big news to me. The TTMIK lessons have such a wide difficulty range that you can't really compare some of them. One lesson might introduce a concept that takes me weeks to really accept, and some lessons are just too easy. To be honest, I don't know which ones I prefer more.

I also reviewed unit 4 of My Korean. Now I have only two units left to review until I can start learning new stuff again.

My Anki backlog hasn't been all cleared yet but I'm working on it and it's going down. I'm determined to make it work.

I'm on episode 10 of Gumiho. My opinion about the lead actress hasn't changed, she constantly pulls me out of the story because of her bad acting. The lead actor is much better though and is also cute. 귀여워요.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6379 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 203 of 559
24 September 2012 at 12:56am | IP Logged 
Great to see a Finnish update again! Good luck with it!

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5317 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 

Message 204 of 559
24 September 2012 at 1:23am | IP Logged 
Evita wrote:
It's a beautiful character. Thank God I don't have to learn how to write it.

That's only because you have learned the simpler characters inside it yet. :) When you view it as 子(자, son/child; as found in words like 남자 and 여자); with some extra strokes on top first, it doesn't seem all that complicated anymore. (The top half may be a character on its own as well, but if so I don't know it yet. It is somewhat similar to 兒(아, child) but without the legs and with a couple Xs in the middle.)

A good example of this combination character effect is 男(남, man/boy/male). The top is 田(전, field) and the bottom is 力(력, strength). Once you know how the stroke order for 田 and 力 separately, drawing 男 is simply a matter of drawing the top character then the bottom character.

Quote:
I'm on episode 10 of Gumiho. My opinion about the lead actress hasn't changed, she constantly pulls me out of the story because of her bad acting. The lead actor is much better though and is also cute. 귀여워요.

In some ways her character is supposed to be somewhat annoying, especially early on as she is adjusting to "human" life. I never really felt it was poor acting at any point, though. {shrug}

If you didn't already know, the lead actor (이승기) is a ballad singer (who later branched into acting and variety shows). In fact, he is the one that sings the main theme song for the show.

Evita
Tetraglot
Latvia
learnlatvian.info
Joined 6334 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 

Message 205 of 559
25 September 2012 at 9:54am | IP Logged 
Quote:
That's only because you have learned the simpler characters inside it yet. :)

Oh, I know that. My comment was meant mostly as a joke (although it's true), I just try not to use smilies because I know they're discouraged here. I know there are a couple hundred radicals that make up all the characters but I don't have any plans to learn them in the near future. For now it will be enough to admire them and learn to recognize the few that pop up in the TTMIK lessons.

Quote:
If you didn't already know, the lead actor (이승기) is a ballad singer (who later branched into acting and variety shows). In fact, he is the one that sings the main theme song for the show.

No, I didn't know he was a singer. Maybe you can point me to a page or a YT video with the Korean lyrics and the English translation? I tried to find them yesterday using English keywords but I didn't have much luck. I'm still too scared to venture in the Korean part of the internet.

So it's a good thing that the Korean dramas are available in the English part of the internet. Yesterday I listened to a new TTMIK lesson (it was about the -네요 ending) and the female host mentioned one drama that she was watching but I couldn't understand its name, of course. Still, I wanted to find out which one it was so I looked for dramas from 2010 (because that's when they recorded the lesson) and went through several lists and finally I found it! She was talking about Sungkyunkwan Scandal. I'm thinking I might try it out and see if I like it. Gumiho is fun but sometimes I feel like watching something more serious.

Speaking of the -neyo ending, I hate how the 'n' makes the previous consonant disappear. 맞아요 and 맞네요 sound so different that it's hard to recognize they are the same verb. Oh well, I'll just work on it and try to get used to it. Can't be that hard.

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5317 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 

Message 206 of 559
26 September 2012 at 3:37am | IP Logged 
Evita wrote:
Maybe you can point me to a page or a YT video with the Korean lyrics and the English translation?

The main theme song is called: 지금부터 사랑해

I did some quick Google and Youtube searching and here's what I came up with:
YT video with the lyrics (romanized...ugh) and English translation
A blog article that lists the Korean lyrics (Hangul and romanized) along with the English translation

Quote:
I tried to find them yesterday using English keywords but I didn't have much luck. I'm still too scared to venture in the Korean part of the internet.

If you are looking for Korean song lyrics, you can usually get mostly English results by searching for the title of the song in Korean (unless it is one of those Korean songs where the actual title is in English, anyway) but with the word "lyrics" included in the search. It seems having the word "lyrics" in English is enough to trigger mostly English sites in the results. For example, the search string I used to find the link above was: 지금부터 사랑해 lyrics

Edited by Warp3 on 26 September 2012 at 3:38am

Evita
Tetraglot
Latvia
learnlatvian.info
Joined 6334 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 

Message 207 of 559
29 September 2012 at 11:23am | IP Logged 
Thanks for the links, Warp3, I think I'll try to go through the lyrics this weekend.

It's been 4 days since my last update... No point in updating the thread if I don't have anything new to write. I didn't study much because work was pretty busy and because the US TV shows started their new seasons. It's not that I watch many of the shows, I just like to follow their ratings on TVBTN and read the discussions. I had missed them over the summer so I couldn't stay away from them now. As a result, not much time was left over for language studying.

I don't feel bad about it though. I did my Anki reviews every day and the backlog is almost gone, just 80 cards left in my Korean deck and 0 cards in my Finnish deck. The bad news is that I've been adding very few new cards to my Finnish deck and its total card count is just 926. My goal for the end of this year was to have 1500 words, or at least 1000. I will probably get the 1000 but I'll still feel bad if it's so low. I should aim for 1200 at least. That means I've got to pick up the pace of my Finnish studies and encounter more new words.

My Korean deck has 1098 cards and I'm satisfied with the number of new words I get from the TTMIK lessons and my other sources. It's just 2-4 words a day maybe so it's not much but it's enough for me and it helps keeping the review count not too high.

Speaking of Anki, I've been dreading and anticipating the new Anki 2 release. Anticipating because it's supposed to be better, with a learning mode and other new features, and dreading because I'm afraid something might go wrong and mess everything up for me. I will be forced to switch over to Anki 2 eventually because I use the synchronizing feature a lot and the author of Anki has stated that once Anki 2 is properly established, the synchronizing will stop working from Anki 1.

You can download Anki 2 from the Anki website, it's practically ready. I haven't tried it out yet because I use AnkiDroid as well and its new version isn't ready yet so I need to stick to Anki 1 for now if I want everything to synchronize properly. One of my main concerns about Anki 2 is how it will handle my Korean sibling cards. In Anki 1, I create both a passive and an active card at the same time but the active card isn't shown to me until days later, after an interval that I have specified in the options. I like this setup very much but I've read the Anki 2 manual and I'm not sure it will be available there. That makes me reluctant to switch.

Going back to TTMIK, I finished lessons 3x26 and 3x27. I could do more lessons per week than I'm doing now but I'm purposefully going slowly so that I would have time to repeat them too and internalize them more. If I really wanted to I'm sure I could finish all 8 levels this year but then I would have to start from the beginning again because I wouldn't remember anything.

Evita
Tetraglot
Latvia
learnlatvian.info
Joined 6334 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 

Message 208 of 559
01 October 2012 at 9:57am | IP Logged 
I am completely done with my Anki review backlog, I am so relieved. Today I have to do 49 Finnish and 61 Korean reviews. It almost feels like I'm starting anew with Anki after neglecting it for a long while. I've been adding quite a few Korean cards recently so I expect the review count to go back up soon.

I didn't get around to the Korean song lyrics I wanted to read, honestly I completely forgot about it. I watched some Gumiho instead. Watching it allows me to see my improvement in listening comprehension so it's great. I think if I listen carefully I can catch at least one word I know every two sentences. It's very little in the grand scheme of things but it's much better than catching one word per minute.

I also did the TTMIK lesson about ㅅ irregular verbs. It's not difficult to memorize the rule about dropping the ㅅ but the exceptions to this rule are a different thing. There are also exceptions to the other irregular verb rules and I don't know how to learn them all. I guess I will just memorize the ones that were mentioned in the lessons.

I also worked on SNU a bit. I should finish unit 8 soon.

As for Finnish, I found another Latvian - Finnish connection: the word "torni" (tower) is "tornis" in Latvian. I think this might be a case where the Finns adopted the Latvian word because torni is declined like a foreign word.

Other than discovering this new exciting connection, my Finnish week was pretty boring. I did work on the TY text some more and on the grammar but I didn't finish it all yet.

This discussion contains 559 messages over 70 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version