Latvia
learnlatvian.info
Joined 6312 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 
Speaks: Latvian*, English, German, Russian
Studies: Korean, Finnish

Message 209 of 559
02 October 2012 at 10:02am | IP Logged 
My joy about having not that many daily Anki reviews was short-lived, I have 95 Korean reviews for today. Not to worry though, I'll do them all.

Yesterday I decided to tackle that Korean song from Gumiho but I had meant a different song, not the one that Warp3 posted here. It took me a while to find out that its name was 정신이 나갔었나봐 (Losing My Mind). I only took a glance at the lyrics and almost lost any desire to try to decipher them, they looked so intimidating. But actually I didn't have much time for studying yesterday so I just left them for another day.
1 person has voted this message useful

Evita
Tetraglot
Latvia
learnlatvian.info
Joined 6312 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 

Message 210 of 559
05 October 2012 at 11:01am | IP Logged 
I had a couple of busy days where I didn't do any language studying except for Anki reviews. Yesterday I noticed that doing the Korean reviews was becoming more difficult because I hadn't had any audio input for several days and I was starting to forget the language. So I promptly repeated a couple TTMIK lessons and did lesson 3x30 which was the second Word Builder lesson (it was about 실). It was pretty interesting. For example, I already knew the word for "toilet" but I didn't know that it was "make up room" LOL. So anyway, I'm done with level 3 now. I think I'll spend some more days on review and start level 4 next week.

I also spent some time on the Finnish TY, I finished the grammar part of lesson 5. I was looking forward to the explanation of the third (or fourth, I don't remember) infinitive because the dialogues included phrases like "käymme syömässä" but it was not there. They're probably saving it for a future lesson. It's too bad because all the other grammar was just review for me. I really shouldn't have procrastinated with this lesson so much, it's not that difficult, it's just that one huge dialogue was making me not want to study it... But I'll start lesson 6 tomorrow regardless of how well I know that dialogue. I can always come back to it later.

feanarosurion
Canada
Joined 5041 days ago

217 posts - 316 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Finnish, Norwegian

Message 211 of 559
07 October 2012 at 7:40am | IP Logged 
Good luck with the Finnish! The various verb forms are very fun, particularly the
infinitives!

Evita
Tetraglot
Latvia
learnlatvian.info
Joined 6312 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 

Message 212 of 559
07 October 2012 at 11:10am | IP Logged 
Thanks, feanarosurion! I was very happy to see your log, no one else has a Finnish log at the moment. Reading it gave me extra motivation to study Finnish so I hope you'll keep it up, haha.

I did finish TY lesson 5 like I had planned although I didn't do many of the exercises. The answers are provided at the end of the book so I should do them eventually. Maybe I'll do it when I go through it all the second time for review.

Lesson 6 is about talking on the phone and the grammar theme seems to be the past. I finished half of my Russian-Finnish textbook and it didn't even introduce the past tense in the first half. That was strange so I'm glad it's coming up now. The dialogues are getting more difficult too, they're using more unfamiliar constructions and vocabulary so it's time to start learning something new again.

Korean and Finnish are very different languages but they do clash sometimes. For example, yesterday I was doing the Korean Anki reviews and I had to translate the word "to arrive". I knew this word pretty well, it was from TTMIK level 1 so I had added it to Anki several months ago. But try as I might, the only word that popped into my mind was "saapua", the Finnish translation, no doubt because TY lesson 5 had been full of trains and planes arriving and departing. So I had to press the first button.

The last two days have been pretty light on Korean, just a little Gumiho, a little TTMIK and a little Anki. Speaking of TTMIK, I didn't mention that two of the lessons at the end of level 3 introduced the plain speech. I already knew most of it from My Korean so it was pretty easy for me but what I found the most interesting was their explanation about when you can use it. It gave me a better insight into the Korean culture.

Evita
Tetraglot
Latvia
learnlatvian.info
Joined 6312 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 

Message 213 of 559
08 October 2012 at 11:29am | IP Logged 
The new Anki 2 has finally been officially released. I'm excited but I'm not switching yet because AnkiDroid isn't ready yet and I like to use my phone to do the reviews. Up until now I used it only for my Finnish deck but I'm thinking of splitting my Korean deck into two (an active and a passive deck) and then using my phone to review the passive Korean deck too. Adding the same card to two decks probably won't be as easy as before but I'm sure I'll find a way.

It looks like the easiest way to upgrade the decks from Anki 1 to Anki 2 is via AnkiWeb, it's supposed to happen automatically if you log into the new AnkiWeb. I hope it works for me.

As for what I did yesterday, well, I focused on Finnish again. I didn't do much studying per se but I listened to the Finnish radio for almost an hour. I think they were talking about song lyrics from different genres and different countries but I didn't understand much more than that. It was rather frustrating. I often caught one or more words per sentence but I still wasn't able to make any sense of it. What I need is a bigger vocabulary and more practice trying to recognize words even when they're not in their dictionary forms.

Edited by Evita on 08 October 2012 at 11:34am

2 persons have voted this message useful

Evita
Tetraglot
Latvia
learnlatvian.info
Joined 6312 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 

Message 214 of 559
09 October 2012 at 10:12am | IP Logged 
So I went ahead and downloaded my Korean Anki deck to my phone too (still using Anki 1). I'm a bit behind on my Korean reviews and I wasn't at a computer last night and I didn't want to let the review pile grow. The major drawback is that I can't type in Korean on my phone but I'm willing to accept that (occasionally). I'll keep doing most of my reviews on the computer.

I remember I wrote several months ago how I was having trouble choosing which language to study at a particular moment. Like - should I read a Finnish dialogue or listen to TTMIK? Then the problem kind of went away because I usually chose Korean first. Now the problem is back. I don't like to divide my time up arbitrarily, like, "first you do one hour of Korean and then you do one hour of Finnish". I believe I should be studying what I feel like and if I'm in the groove with one language there's no reason I should switch to the other. But this leads to long moments of indecisiveness where I just don't know what to do, where to start. And then I start doing something unrelated to either language to give myself more time to choose. LOL. I guess I'll choose Korean for today, maybe I'll finish unit 8 on SNU.

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6357 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 215 of 559
09 October 2012 at 9:23pm | IP Logged 
Oh I hate these moments of indecisiveness! Using the 'optimized woman' stuff can help greatly:)
The most important thing is to have a variety of activities at your disposal.

Evita
Tetraglot
Latvia
learnlatvian.info
Joined 6312 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 

Message 216 of 559
12 October 2012 at 10:05am | IP Logged 
I didn't work on SNU but I spent a lot of time reviewing level 3 of TTMIK, particularly yesterday. There were some lessons I hadn't reviewed for over a month (like the one about making adjectives out of action verbs) so a review was very welcome and necessary. I figure that the best way for me to work with these lessons is to have at least 3 repeat listenings - one day, one week, and one month after the first listen. It's too bad I don't keep track of this.

Even though I still need to review some of the last lessons of level 3, I was too excited to stay away from level 4 any longer so I listened to 4x01. It was one of those more difficult lessons that introduce a concept that's totally different from English. In this case it was how to say sentences like The cheaper it is, the better it sells. This sentence in Korean would be something like is cheap+을수록 sells. '을수록' is the special verb ending used in this case, and 'to be cheap' is a verb in Korean. The sentence is short and not complicated at all but the concept is so different from English that it's difficult to get used to it.

The authors of TTMIK describe levels 4-7 as the intermediate levels so according to them I should already know all the basic Korean grammar. Wow. I don't think my Korean is anywhere close to an intermediate level though, mostly because I haven't internalized the concepts in the first three levels well enough and I haven't practiced them at all. Plus the size of my vocabulary is barely 500 words.

This discussion contains 559 messages over 70 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version