Latvia
learnlatvian.info
Joined 6333 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 
Speaks: Latvian*, English, German, Russian
Studies: Korean, Finnish

Message 217 of 559
13 October 2012 at 3:48pm | IP Logged 
This post is not about Finnish or Korean, it's my writing practice in German. Please don't feel left out if you don't understand German, I'm writing just for the sake of writing, it's nothing particularly interesting.

Es ist sehr schwer fuer mich, auf Deutsch zu schreiben. Heute werde ich kein Woerterbuch benutzen. Ich moechte sehen, wie gut mein Niveau ohne Hilfsmitteln ist. Ich sehe schon, dass meine Saetze kurz sind. Es gibt sehr viele Woerter, die ich nicht schreiben kann, weil ich sie vergessen habe, und es ist schwierig, einen Text zu schreiben, wenn man nicht genug Woerter hat.

Ich lebte in Deutschland fuenf Monate lang in 2002, ich war eine Erasmus Studentin. Ich studierte an der Fachhochschule Deggendorf. Nachdem ich zurueck nach Lettland kam, habe ich kein Deutsch mehr benutzt. Es ist eine Schade. Jetzt moechte ich meine Deutschkenntnisse wieder verbessern. Ich sollte ein Buch auf Deutsch lesen, aber ich habe kein.

Ich mag die Deutsche Fussball Mannschaft und dieses Lied by Xavier Naidoo.

Es aergaert mich, dass ich auf Deutsch nicht sagen kann, was ich will. Vor zehn Jahren haette ich einen viel besseren Text schreiben koennen.

--------------------------

I'm so depressed after writing this text, I'm almost sorry I decided to do this exercise, it's something a 5 year old would write. I hope the grammar is mostly correct, I only wrote stuff I was reasonably sure of. The stuff I didn't write because I couldn't translate it was five times as long.

I don't have time for German right now but perhaps I'll get back to it next year after my Korean and Finnish are better. The good news is that my passive skills in German are still quite good, I would guess around C1, definitely at least B2, so the active skills should come back fairly quickly once I dedicate some time to it.
1 person has voted this message useful

Evita
Tetraglot
Latvia
learnlatvian.info
Joined 6333 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 

Message 218 of 559
14 October 2012 at 11:09am | IP Logged 
Never mind German, let's talk about Korean instead. I've been doing the same stuff lately - reviewing TTMIK lessons, both the audio and the PDFs. It's going great. I don't have a plan for reviewing them, I just look at the list of lessons and think "it's been a while since I listened to this one". Such an approach may not be the most efficient one but it's sure the most fun one.

Lesson 4x02 introduced the ㄹ래요 ending. I love these nuanced endings for the future. This ending means "I want to do it, I'm determined to do it, I will do it and you will not change my mind". The previous ending they introduced for the future tense was "I will do it if you don't mind". That one is obviously more polite than the one from lesson 4x02.

By the way, TTMIK have published their first book (it's about level 1). Frankly I don't see the point of buying the book if I can get all the lessons online but many people feel differently so good for them.

My plan to use song lyrics for reading/listening practice kind of got nowhere. I realized I'd rather be doing other Korean-related activities so I won't force myself. Still, I will need some kind of reading practice with real Korean texts once my grammar gets good enough. I don't know exactly when that will be but yesterday I had the brilliant idea of using the TTMIK Iyagi podcasts for this purpose. Listening to them will still be too hard for me in the foreseeable future but reading them will be easier. I tried it yesterday and I saw that it's too early to try it now but not in an overwhelming way. In a month or two I might be ready.

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5316 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Korean, Japanese

Message 219 of 559
14 October 2012 at 5:07pm | IP Logged 
Evita wrote:
Lesson 4x02 introduced the ㄹ래요 ending. I love these nuanced endings for the future. This ending means "I want to do it, I'm determined to do it, I will do it and you will not change my mind". The previous ending they introduced for the future tense was "I will do it if you don't mind". That one is obviously more polite than the one from lesson 4x02.

I need to go check out that lesson then, because that isn't the impression I got from that ending at all. All the usages I recall for that ending had more of a "shall we..., do you want to..." type meaning more like (으)ㄹ까요 (but with a slightly different feel to it). Perhaps it only takes on that meaning when used as a question rather than a statement (since all the examples I can recall used it as a question).

The Real CZ
United States
Joined 5430 days ago

1069 posts - 1495 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Korean

Message 220 of 559
14 October 2012 at 6:39pm | IP Logged 
Yeah, I really only encounter ㄹ래(요) in question form. When someone says they want to do something, they usually use -고 싶다 or -고 프다. I have also seen ᄅ 성싶다, but that's more in books/comics than in dramas and movies.

Evita
Tetraglot
Latvia
learnlatvian.info
Joined 6333 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 

Message 221 of 559
15 October 2012 at 10:25am | IP Logged 
I know only what they explained in the lesson, and they said there's indeed a difference between how this ending is used in declarative sentences and in question sentences. In questions, it's often used instead of -고 싶다 when you ask someone what they want to do, and it has a similar meaning to -ㄹ 까요 when you include yourself in the question.

Lesson 4x03 introduced how to say "it can't be" using the '-(으)ㄹ 리가 없어요' expression. This was more difficult for me than the previous lesson. From their example sentences, I gather that it is used a lot with double negatives like "It's impossible (or it can't be) that this doesn't work". Double negatives are not my favorite thing even though Latvian has more of them than English.

I've almost finished reviewing unit 5 of My Korean. I have the feeling that I'll be mostly reviewing even when I get to units I haven't studied before because my grammar is far ahead thanks to the TTMIK lessons. Maybe that's why I haven't been eager to use the book lately, it's more exciting to study new things than to review.

Yesterday I also watched episode 12 of Gumiho and started to watch Sungkyunkwan Scandal, which I'll refer to as S Scandal or simply SS in my next posts because I'm not willing to learn the English spelling of the full name. Anyway, I only watched like 15 minutes but it seemed a lot more cheerful than The Moon that embraces the Sun, which I started watching months ago and didn't continue.

As you can probably tell, yesterday I was in a mood for Korean dramas so I went to Dramabeans to read up on some news (even though I haven't watched anything they write about). I got excited when I saw that the main actress from Coffee Prince has a new drama coming up. I might do an experiment and watch the first episode (even though I know she won't be in it) the same day it airs, which means watching it without subtitles. It would probably be pointless for me to watch many episodes that way - because I wouldn't understand almost anything - but a one episode experiment might be just the thing.

After that I watched some Coffee Prince again. I can't thank druckfehler enough for recommending it to me.

I had planned to study Finnish yesterday but it didn't work out that way. Oh well, there's always the next day.

Evita
Tetraglot
Latvia
learnlatvian.info
Joined 6333 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 

Message 222 of 559
16 October 2012 at 9:43am | IP Logged 
I finally got around to Finnish yesterday. I studied the dialogues in TYF lesson 6 and I even added some new words to Anki. My total card count is 950 now, still 50 to go until I reach 1000.

I didn't have much time for Korean yesterday but I did squeeze in a new TTMIK lesson, mainly because I was curious about the -죠 ending because I'd heard it a lot before. Turns out you use it when you know the other person agrees with you. Heh. It seems like Korean has a specific verb ending for every situation in life.

By the way, going back to the -ㄹ래요 ending, I caught Eun Chan saying '나 갈래' near the beginning of episode 4 of Coffee Prince when the manager is holding her by her arm and she's trying to get free. So I guess this ending can be used in situations like that.

druckfehler
Triglot
Germany
Joined 4649 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Korean
Studies: Persian

Message 223 of 559
16 October 2012 at 11:04pm | IP Logged 
I'm glad you enjoy "Coffee Prince" so much :) I haven't yet found another KDrama as good as "Coffee Prince", but I thought "What's up Fox?" was somewhat similar in tone and the actors were almost as winning as those from "Coffee Prince".

I can also recommend "Nice Guy", which is dark and tragic, but very well executed.

I'm curious to read your impressions of "Sunkyunkwan Scandal", which I enjoyed quite a lot at the time.

Yoon Eun-hye's upcoming project strikes me as a little too depressing (judging by the synopsis), but I'm looking forward to "King of Dramas".

Edited by druckfehler on 16 October 2012 at 11:04pm

Ojorolla
Diglot
Groupie
France
Joined 4746 days ago

90 posts - 130 votes 
Speaks: French*, English

Message 224 of 559
17 October 2012 at 4:45am | IP Logged 
Evita wrote:
I didn't have much time for Korean yesterday but I did squeeze in a new TTMIK lesson, mainly because I was curious about the -죠 ending because I'd heard it a lot before.

-지 is a fundamental ending in Korean and its meaning can be quite varied. For instance you can use it when you assume something is true and want to verify it:
- 내일이 휴일이죠? = Tomorrow is a holiday, isn't it?

About -ㄹ래, the TTMIK lesson is right. If you have some leftover pizza and want & are gonna eat it right now, you can say: 이거 지금 먹어치울래.

This discussion contains 559 messages over 70 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version