Latvia
learnlatvian.info
Joined 6334 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 
Speaks: Latvian*, English, German, Russian
Studies: Korean, Finnish

Message 225 of 559
17 October 2012 at 10:15am | IP Logged 
Yeah, it's hard to imagine that the TTMIK lesson would be wrong. I mean - the lessons are prepared by a group of native Korean speakers, not just the two hosts so they should know how an ending is used. I don't know how they pay for it all but they have a professional setup in place. (Yes, I know they have their own store and the sister HaruKorean site but those appeared quite a while after the main site.)

Quote:
내일이 휴일이죠? = Tomorrow is a holiday, isn't it?

I was confused by your use of the subject particle after 내일 so I looked it up in the dictionary and it turns out that 'tomorrow' is indeed a noun in Korean. I had no idea. How is it even possible? I guess it originally had the 에 particle attached and later it was probably dropped due to the heavy use of the word.

Quote:
I'm glad you enjoy "Coffee Prince" so much :) I haven't yet found another KDrama as good as "Coffee Prince", but I thought "What's up Fox?" was somewhat similar in tone and the actors were almost as winning as those from "Coffee Prince".

I can also recommend "Nice Guy", which is dark and tragic, but very well executed.

I'm curious to read your impressions of "Sunkyunkwan Scandal", which I enjoyed quite a lot at the time.

Yoon Eun-hye's upcoming project strikes me as a little too depressing (judging by the synopsis), but I'm looking forward to "King of Dramas".

Wow, that's my viewing needs taken care of for the next 3 months LOL. Just kidding, I'll check them out (along with Coffee House) and see what I like and what I don't. My primary entertainment source at the moment is American TV shows, not the Korean dramas so it might take a while to get around to them all. I'll post my thoughts about SS as I watch it.
1 person has voted this message useful

Evita
Tetraglot
Latvia
learnlatvian.info
Joined 6334 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 

Message 226 of 559
19 October 2012 at 9:51am | IP Logged 
I haven't had much time to study the last few days, it's what usually happens during the middle of the week because of work. I've kept up somewhat with my Anki reviews even if the numbers rarely go down all the way to 0. On most days I have a small backlog of 50-100 cards.

I haven't ignored Finnish, I just don't have anything interesting to write about it. I'm still on lesson 6 of TYF, I should finish it this week.

As for Korean, I started reviewing unit 6 of My Korean, and I worked some more on SNU unit 8. This unit has some new vocabulary (like 세수하다 - to wash one's face) but overall it's quite easy because it introduces the past tense which has been drilled into me by TTMIK since level 1.

Speaking of TTMIK, lesson 4x05 was about the word 당신 (you). They explained all about when it can be used, and they also suggested that Korean learners never use it unless they're 100% sure about what they're doing. I think I'm going to follow this advice for now.

Evita
Tetraglot
Latvia
learnlatvian.info
Joined 6334 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 

Message 227 of 559
20 October 2012 at 9:34am | IP Logged 
I didn't realize SS would be one of those girl-pretends-to-be-boy dramas. Haha, I sure know how to pick them out even unintentionally. Well, I'm in the middle of episode two and it's holding my attention so far. At some points in episode 1 I felt that it was too depressing but I suffered through it. I don't like the male lead character much - not his looks, not his behavior. And sometimes I have trouble understanding who is who because they all dress the same way and because I'm very new to this kind of drama so I don't know what roles there should be. Also, sometimes the English subtitles disappear before I can read them.

And with all that going against the drama, I'll keep watching it because I want to know what happens next. That means they must be doing something right.

I kept studying unit 8 of SNU yesterday and it explained the difference between connecting sentences with -고 or -서 very clearly in a way that TTMIK hadn't managed to do. I was almost astonished at how simple it was. If we take met a friend and saw a movie and connect them with -서 then it means I watched the movie together with my friend. But if I connect them with -고 then I saw the movie without my friend.

I also did TTMIK lesson 4x06 yesterday. It was a word builder lesson about 동(動).

Evita
Tetraglot
Latvia
learnlatvian.info
Joined 6334 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 

Message 228 of 559
22 October 2012 at 10:15am | IP Logged 
I'm near the end of episode 3 of SS and I have to say it's completely unbelievable that she's sleeping in the same room with two other guys (at the university dormitories) and they don't realize she's a girl. And the scene outside with everyone washing up the next morning was even more ridiculous - how can they not realize she has female legs? At least when the girl in You're Beautiful was pretending to be a guy, she didn't have to wash and sleep together with other guys. So yeah... very unbelievable. But if you can get over that fact and suspend disbelief then it's quite enjoyable.

I feel like a lose a lot in translation though, especially during the speeches that both main characters like to make to explain their thoughts or actions. The subtitles are often too literal and follow the Korean sentence style too much, not the English style. It makes them useful for learning Korean but not so much for enjoying the show. They also disappear quite quickly and I don't want to press pause every 10 seconds to finish reading the subtitles.

I think I would find these speeches annoying if someone was speaking like that in the real life - about high principles and honor and stuff like that, very arrogantly - but they seem fascinating to me in Korean, not because of their content but because I can see from the too-literal subtitle translations how Koreans order and express their thoughts. Their sentence patterns seem almost poetic to me. I can only hope one day I can express myself in a similar way.

I didn't realize until yesterday that the male lead in the upcoming I Miss You is the same one from SS. I saw the promotional photos and thought Wait, do I know this guy from somewhere? Ha. This must be the universe telling me I should really check out I Miss You.

Right, that's enough rambling about Korean dramas. I did in fact do some actual studying too. I finished unit 8 on SNU and lessons 4x07 and 4x08 on TTMIK. And my Korean card count in Anki has reached 1200, which means 600 words. My Finnish deck still has 950 words. I didn't feel like studying Finnish during the weekend so I didn't do anything except Anki reviews. My Finnish has been pushed aside by Korean again and maybe it's for the best, it's easier to focus on just one language. Maybe I'll keep Finnish for weekends or for some free times at work - until I'm tired of Korean and excited about Finnish again.

Evita
Tetraglot
Latvia
learnlatvian.info
Joined 6334 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 

Message 229 of 559
23 October 2012 at 9:58am | IP Logged 
Yesterday I had some free time at work, not just a couple of minutes for Anki but time for real studying. I reviewed more than half of unit 6 of My Korean and I started on unit 9 on SNU. I've been reviewing/practicing how to tell time. The construction is not difficult, the problem is learning both counting systems to produce the numbers effortlessly.

I also browsed the TTMIK site and I saw that they just posted lesson 9x01. Out of curiosity, I clicked on the lesson - it starts the "Advanced idiomatic expressions" series. Both hosts did way more talking in Korean than in level 4 and I realized that I want to be able to understand most of it when I get that far so I really shouldn't rush the lessons. Having studied almost 100 TTMIK lessons and only 8 units on SNU is a bit ridiculous. I need to focus more attention on SNU and my textbook. Today might be a light day at work too so I have no excuses.

I was also thinking about signing up for HaruKorean. It would be great to practice writing and get corrections but I don't think such an activity has a place in my study plan right now. Maybe I'll start doing it after I finish the 20 units on SNU.

Having spent much of yesterday studying Korean (or just thinking about it) I needed something to set me in a Finnish mood before doing the Finnish Anki reviews so I listened to the phone conversations of TYF lesson 6 again, and I even added a couple of new words to Anki. I didn't know Finns call their mobile phones "travel phones" heh.

Evita
Tetraglot
Latvia
learnlatvian.info
Joined 6334 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 

Message 230 of 559
24 October 2012 at 10:31am | IP Logged 
Yesterday was a great day for studying Korean. I did all my usual activities so I'm not going to bore you with details.

TTMIK lessons 4x08 and 4x09 introduced the following expressions:

해도 돼요 - it's okay to do it
안 해도 돼요 - it's okay to not do it
하면 안 돼요 - it's not okay to do it

It might be a while until I get comfortable with these expressions and that's fine, that's expected. What's puzzling me though is the word 되다. Both TTMIK lessons said that it means "to work, to function" but I can't find this meaning in the dictionary, not even in the Naver dictionary. Why is that so?

On a different note, some Korean verbs are hellishly hard for me to learn. I mix them up with similar verbs all the time. Take a look at this list:

적다 - to write down
작다 - to be small
춥다 - to be cold
좁다 - to be narrow
접다 - to wrap up
죽다 - to die

See the similarity? I do. Another group of verbs I'm having trouble with is this (but these verbs are recently added so maybe I just need time):

반복하다 - to repeat
복습하다 - to review
연습하다 - to practice

I also kept watching SS, I'm in episode 5 now. I'm enjoying it more than Gumiho even if I understand less. I love the clear diction of all the actors; when watching this drama I get the same feeling that I sometimes get while listening to the Finnish radio - that I could understand everything if only I had a bigger vocabulary. I might come back to this drama in 2-3 years when I do in fact have a bigger vocabulary.

As for the content of SS, I had rather low expectations after watching episode one and I've been pleasantly surprised. The head student guy is not as one-note evil as I had expected, and that senior who knows or suspects Kim Yoon Shik is a girl is one of the most interesting and entertaining characters. I also find him the most handsome of all the students, hehe. Overall, the drama has a nice balance between comedy and drama. I wonder how the romance between the main characters will proceed. In Coffee Prince, the guy fell for the girl while he still thought she was a guy. I don't see that happening here so I hope he finds out she's a girl sooner rather than later. Preferably around episodes 8-9.

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5317 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Korean, Japanese

Message 231 of 559
25 October 2012 at 2:48am | IP Logged 
Evita wrote:
What's puzzling me though is the word 되다. Both TTMIK lessons said that it means "to work, to function" but I can't find this meaning in the dictionary, not even in the Naver dictionary. Why is that so?

That is a bit odd. Even though 되다 can be highly variable in meaning, the default meaning is generally listed as "to become".

Quote:

춥다 - to be cold
좁다 - to be narrow
접다 - to wrap up

...and don't forget 잡다 (to grab, catch). :)

Haksaeng
Korea, South
Joined 5980 days ago

166 posts - 250 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Korean, Arabic (Levantine)

Message 232 of 559
25 October 2012 at 4:10am | IP Logged 
In my paper edition of Dong-A's Prime K-E dictionary, it gives one of the (many) meanings of 돼다 as "act as; play; serve as; play the role of; double as" and gives as an example, "the couch serves as a guest bed." It also gives, "will do; serve the purpose; be all right," and gives as an example, "will this chair do?" I think these definitions include the sense of working or functioning.

On the bus, when someone's transit card isn't working in the card reader, I've heard "안 됐어." And in my Sogang 3A book, Chapter 6, there's a dialogue about a copy machine not functioning properly, and the speakers use "안 되던데요" and "복사기가 안 되네요"

This discussion contains 559 messages over 70 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version