559 messages over 70 pages: 1 24 5 6 7 ... 3 ... 69 70 Next >>
Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6356 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 17 of 559
01 May 2012 at 9:57pm | IP Logged 
The rules are quite straightforward, really. tuohon, suohon, maahan etc are all one-syllable words. In longer words this sort of ending is old-fashioned or poetic, e.g. taistohon.
Longer words take the ending -seen if they end in a long vowel or diphthong; if the word ends in a single vowel, it just gets longer. Same with words that end in combinations like ea which aren't diphthongs.

I knoooow it has so many weird words! I met some of them in real texts years after finishing the textbook.

OMG I'm stupid, I forgot. My dictionary for the program BX Memo can be downloaded on its site, it has all the 1700 words from the list at the end of the book. I believe it can be used for other programs if needed though BX Memo is the best non-SRS flashcard program in my opinion.
At one point I ran a substitution, replacing +inf with tehdä, +ill with siihen etc. with a couple of words it resulted in fail, e.g. influenssa became *tehdäfluenssa. should be easily noticeable though and there are just a few mistakes like this.

Edited by Serpent on 01 May 2012 at 9:58pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Evita
Tetraglot
Latvia
learnlatvian.info
Joined 6311 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 
Speaks: Latvian*, English, German, Russian
Studies: Korean, Finnish

Message 18 of 559
01 May 2012 at 10:55pm | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
The rules are quite straightforward, really. tuohon, suohon, maahan etc are all one-syllable words. In longer words this sort of ending is old-fashioned or poetic, e.g. taistohon.
Longer words take the ending -seen if they end in a long vowel or diphthong; if the word ends in a single vowel, it just gets longer. Same with words that end in combinations like ea which aren't diphthongs.

Yes, the book mentioned something similar. I don't find it quite straightforward but it's not a problem, just a matter of exposure.

Quote:
OMG I'm stupid, I forgot. My dictionary for the program BX Memo can be downloaded on its site, it has all the 1700 words from the list at the end of the book. I believe it can be used for other programs if needed though BX Memo is the best non-SRS flashcard program in my opinion.
At one point I ran a substitution, replacing +inf with tehdä, +ill with siihen etc. with a couple of words it resulted in fail, e.g. influenssa became *tehdäfluenssa. should be easily noticeable though and there are just a few mistakes like this.

Thanks but I think it's too late for me to switch to another deck now. I've found an SRS system that works for me and I don't want to mess with it.

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6356 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 19 of 559
02 May 2012 at 3:11am | IP Logged 
Yeah but I think it should export just fine.

Well, they're straightforward as in, it's clear which ending is added to which word. I'm not saying they're easy but they make sense to me. Oh my, it was difficult to even remember them :D

Evita
Tetraglot
Latvia
learnlatvian.info
Joined 6311 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 

Message 20 of 559
03 May 2012 at 11:42pm | IP Logged 
I don't have much to write about this time, unfortunately, as I've barely done any studying in the last two days. I did listen to some repeat TTMIK lessons while walking outside but I didn't do any active studying. As I've mentioned, I don't have a routine to follow every day so sometimes language learning gets lower on my priority list.

The good news is that I've kept up with Anki. It was after midnight yesterday when I realized I hadn't done my reviews yet and I was tired and I didn't want to do them but I talked myself into it in the end. I'm kind of proud of myself I did it. Anki - for both Korean and Finnish - is the one thing I want to keep constant every day, no matter what.

The goal for tomorrow is to finish the fifth lesson of my Finnish textbook. Hopefully.

Evita
Tetraglot
Latvia
learnlatvian.info
Joined 6311 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 

Message 21 of 559
05 May 2012 at 10:00pm | IP Logged 
Finnish

I finally finished the fifth lesson of my textbook. Yay! I spent maybe a couple of hours on it - doing the exercises, verifying my answers in Wiktionary (W is such a lifesaver, by the way, it has full declension tables for nouns, adjectives, also for verbs), reading texts and entering words into Anki. I spent a lot of time on this lesson but I think it was worth it. I wanted to learn the three cases as well as possible.

My Anki card count is 350 at the moment. I'm thinking my goal should be 1500 words by the end of the year. It's doable if I keep up my current learning habits but most likely I'll slow down at some point or another so 1000 words would be a more realistic goal.

Korean

I think I'm making progress (albeit slow) with the alphabet. Anki is a great way to practice both reading and typing. So far I have entered only 12 words in there, which is admittedly less than I expected. It takes work and concentration to find the right keys on the keyboard and to make sure I haven't made any typing mistakes so it's more difficult than entering Finnish words. But I'm getting better at it.

Today I spent considerable time on this site (that's Unit 2) listening to the audio and doing the drills. It was very useful, especially the drills, they were great reading and listening practice. I got most of the answers right. The most difficult things for me were the double final consonants and double consonants in general. I'll work on them some more.

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6356 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds

Message 22 of 559
05 May 2012 at 10:27pm | IP Logged 
Hehe I still remember how for the first lessons it was like this for me: it took me 1 day to go through the first one, two days to go through the second etc :DDD
As I said there are 1700 words in the book so 1500 by the end of the year is doable :) I myself started in late June 2005 and on my New Year holidays I was finishing the last one:) I wasn't studying other languages yet and I totally neglected German at school though :P

Evita
Tetraglot
Latvia
learnlatvian.info
Joined 6311 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 

Message 23 of 559
07 May 2012 at 10:51pm | IP Logged 
Language learning is going great at the moment. Let's hope it lasts.

Finnish

I looked over some of the pages here. I don't plan on using it as a regular resource but the great thing about it is that it has an audio file for each phrase. My book doesn't have any accompanying CDs so I haven't done much listening practice. And I know I've said this before but I love how similar to Latvian Finnish sounds. Lithuanian may have a more similar grammar and vocabulary to Latvian but Finnish definitely sounds more like Latvian. Latvian even has the same concept of double vowels and double consonants. The only thing is that we never have a long vowel followed by a double consonant (for example, like kaappi) so that combination doesn't come naturally to me. Also, Latvian doesn't have the 'y' and 'ö' sounds but I know those from German so they are not a problem.

I also watched the first two episodes of "Kuulostaa hyvältä". Honestly, I didn't like it much. I don't want to watch each video over and over again to try to make out the dialogs so I think I'll stay away from it. (I did find the transcripts but still.)

I also started on the 6th lesson of my textbook. It's about the three outside location cases and about how to get around in a city (go straight, turn right, take a bus, that sort of thing). I'm happy to say I understood more than a half of the first text of the lesson without looking at a dictionary. Moments like these are so rewarding, it's when I see that studying with Anki every day is paying off.

Korean

I noticed that with my focus on reading, I've neglected TTMIK so I repeated some lessons and listened to a new one, no.23 of level 1. It was about how to say 'who' in Korean. At first I didn't understand why "Who did it?" requires a subject marking particle and "Who is it?" doesn't but after a second listening I think I got the idea. Maybe.

Lesson 20 was about the native Korean numbers. I've listened to it several times but I find these numbers harder to learn than the Sino-Korean numbers. Having two number systems is an unexpected difficulty, I must say. But I do get a laugh out each time I hear Hyunwoo, the male teacher, talking about counting ears. At first I couldn't understand why counting ears would be so special that they deserved a separate mention, and on my third listening I realized he actually meant years, not ears. Heh.

Studying with Anki is going great. Much slower than Finnish, of course, but that's alright. My typing skills are improving from entering the new words, it's a great feeling. And today I got my first reverse cards, that is, cards where I have to translate from English to Korean. I had thought about whether I should just think the Korean word or whether I should actually type it out in Anki, and I had decided on the second option because I feel it will be more valuable for me. So I modified the Anki deck model to allow typing in the answer. The first word I had to type was 감사합니다 (thank you) and I got it right. Yay!

The Real CZ
United States
Joined 5408 days ago

1069 posts - 1495 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Korean

Message 24 of 559
07 May 2012 at 11:31pm | IP Logged 
Just to let you know, the Sino Korean numbers are more important (and much easier to
remember.) The native Korean numbers only go up to 100 if I recall correctly.

This discussion contains 559 messages over 70 pages: << Prev 1 24 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version