Latvia
learnlatvian.info
Joined 6338 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 
Speaks: Latvian*, English, German, Russian
Studies: Korean, Finnish

Message 241 of 559
29 October 2012 at 9:59am | IP Logged 
The SS "hungover" yesterday wasn't pretty so I guess it's a good thing these great dramas don't come along very often. I tried Rooftop Prince but it didn't help my addiction at all. The time traveling aspect provided some funny moments, the best of which was when the four guys left their shoes outside when they got into a bus, but overall the drama left a bad taste in my mouth. And I wasn't feeling the potential romance between the main characters at all. I'm not sure I'll keep watching it, and if I do it'll be very casual.

So I went back to TTMIK. My motivation to learn Korean has soared again (not that it was low before, it wasn't) and I'm afraid for my Finnish. I don't want to abandon it but I just can't seem to concentrate enough to study it even for half an hour, all I want to study is Korean. I don't see a good solution for this honestly. I'll try to keep doing the Finnish Anki deck but it's been hard to switch my brain to Finnish recently.

I did TTMIK lesson 4x11 yesterday, it introduced how to say anybody, anything and also nobody, nothing, and also not just anybody. These are tricky expressions and I'll need time to get familiar with them.
1 person has voted this message useful

druckfehler
Triglot
Germany
Joined 4654 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Korean
Studies: Persian

Message 242 of 559
29 October 2012 at 3:53pm | IP Logged 
Evita wrote:
I tried Rooftop Prince but it didn't help my addiction at all. The time traveling aspect provided some funny moments, the best of which was when the four guys left their shoes outside when they got into a bus, but overall the drama left a bad taste in my mouth. And I wasn't feeling the potential romance between the main characters at all.

I also tried to like Rooftop Prince, but abandoned it after 6 episodes. The jokes are funny, but apart from that I thought it was pretty boring and ridiculous in a bad way.

Evita wrote:
My motivation to learn Korean has soared again (not that it was low before, it wasn't) and I'm afraid for my Finnish. I don't want to abandon it but I just can't seem to concentrate enough to study it even for half an hour, all I want to study is Korean. I don't see a good solution for this honestly. I'll try to keep doing the Finnish Anki deck but it's been hard to switch my brain to Finnish recently.

I've noticed that Korean has a way of commanding people's attention entirely. Either it snags all your available study time or you're not making much progress. I can't remember anyone here learning Korean and other languages concurrently over a decent period of time. I had been learning Hebrew casually before and had plans of studying more Persian, but in the end Korean won and I decided to put everything on hold until next year. I also remember a post by TheRealCZ saying that he decided that he'll study no further languages after Korean (and as far as I remember he started with Japanese until Korean came along and demanded all his time). I'm not sure about Warp3, he seems to be studying Japanese and Spanish as well as Korean, but Korean still seems to be his absolute focus language.

Evita
Tetraglot
Latvia
learnlatvian.info
Joined 6338 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 

Message 243 of 559
30 October 2012 at 11:17am | IP Logged 
I had some plans for yesterday but they fell through so I had more time to study. I used it to repeat many TTMIK lessons, about 8-10 of them. I don't remember ever doing that many lessons in a single day. Some of them are quite funny. I also get more out of level 2 lessons now than I did back then because I understand their Korean banter better now. 진짜 재미있어요.

I had a light bulb moment yesterday. I kept seeing the word 화이팅 in the TTMIK lesson comments and elsewhere and I figured it meant something encouraging but I couldn't make any sense of it from dictionaries. Then I suddenly realized it must come from the English word "fighting". I had heard it in dramas but I hadn't made the connection because of the h-f thing. I feel kind of stupid now.

Another thing I feel stupid about is that I didn't realize that the main actress from You're Beautiful made a cameo appearance in episode 6 of Gumiho. I can't believe I didn't recognize her! I only found out about it yesterday while stumbling on an article mentioning it on DramaBeans.

Speaking of Gumiho, I watched a bit of it yesterday. I'm in episode 13 now. 재미있어요.

Overall yesterday was a very good day for Korean but today I'm back at work, and this week will be busier than the last one so that means less time for languages.

Evita
Tetraglot
Latvia
learnlatvian.info
Joined 6338 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 

Message 244 of 559
31 October 2012 at 11:36pm | IP Logged 
I'm writing an update in the evening for a change. I wanted to mention a couple Korean grammar points.

First, TTMIK lesson 4x12 introduced how to say "to try to do something", and curiously enough, Koreans use the verb "to see" for that, kind of "do this and see what happens". What surprised me even more was that they also use this construction to ask questions like "Have you been there?". Interesting.

Second, I finished SNU unit 9, and one of the texts contained this sentence: 한국어 수업이 끝나고 태권도를 배워요. I encountered a similar use of 끝나고 in my textbook so I guess this construction is common although a direct translation sounds very weird: "The Korean class finishes and I study 태권도."

On a slightly different subject, TTMIK just started new video lessons for advanced Korean learners. It was so odd (in a good way) seeing both TTMIK hosts and hearing them speak solely in Korean. I'm very used to their voices. And while I'm on the subject of TTMIK, they're doing a project called One Day in Seoul on November 3rd, and I plan to check it out.

Evita
Tetraglot
Latvia
learnlatvian.info
Joined 6338 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 

Message 245 of 559
02 November 2012 at 9:59am | IP Logged 
SNU unit 10 focuses on talking about one's family. That will be useful. TTMIK touched a bit on the subject in level 2 but they focus more on grammar, not on particular conversation topics.

TTMIK lesson 4x13 was another Word Builder lesson, this time focusing on 불 (and 부). This was the most useful WB lesson so far because 90% of the information was new to me.

I have to say I really like Korean cartoons for children. And my 7 year old nephews like them too. They're used to watching cartoons in Latvian and in English but they didn't object to Korean either when they saw it was about talking buses and cars. One episode we watched was Vroomies, the cars-robots, and the other one was the talking buses. Surprisingly I enjoyed them a lot and they have the easy kind of Korean that would be the easiest for me to understand, I think. Too bad there were no subtitles.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5321 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Korean, Japanese

Message 246 of 559
04 November 2012 at 1:52am | IP Logged 
druckfehler wrote:
I'm not sure about Warp3, he seems to be studying Japanese and Spanish as well as Korean, but Korean still seems to be his absolute focus language.

Even when I study them more actively, the time I spend with Japanese and Spanish combined is a mere fraction of the time spent with Korean, so Korean is definitely my primary focus by quite a margin.

Evita wrote:
I had a light bulb moment yesterday. I kept seeing the word 화이팅 in the TTMIK lesson comments and elsewhere and I figured it meant something encouraging but I couldn't make any sense of it from dictionaries. Then I suddenly realized it must come from the English word "fighting". I had heard it in dramas but I hadn't made the connection because of the h-f thing. I feel kind of stupid now.

You will also see it written as 파이팅 instead and it's frequently pronounced both ways as well. It is a loan word of "fighting" but their normal usage of it doesn't really mirror any usage I can recall seeing for that word in English. The most common usage is as an interjection of encouragement to cheer someone on, somewhat more like "Go {name}!" or "You can do it!" in English.

The Real CZ
United States
Joined 5435 days ago

1069 posts - 1495 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Korean

Message 247 of 559
04 November 2012 at 2:44am | IP Logged 
I loved Rooftop Prince, but that's because of Han Ji Min. I'm a huge fan of hers. For good dramas that have aired in 2012, I'd suggest History of the Salaryman, Answer Me 1997 and Bridal Mask.

And yes, Korean is my sole focus now. I used to study Korean 60% and Japanese 40%. I wasn't making the progress I wanted in either language and Korean is more important to me, so I only study Korean and I've made more progress in the past year than the two years before that trying to juggle two languages.

Edited by The Real CZ on 04 November 2012 at 2:45am

Evita
Tetraglot
Latvia
learnlatvian.info
Joined 6338 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 

Message 248 of 559
04 November 2012 at 10:09am | IP Logged 
Quote:
You will also see it written as 파이팅 instead and it's frequently pronounced both ways as well. It is a loan word of "fighting" but their normal usage of it doesn't really mirror any usage I can recall seeing for that word in English. The most common usage is as an interjection of encouragement to cheer someone on, somewhat more like "Go {name}!" or "You can do it!" in English.

I had noticed this in dramas and I wonder how it came about. In general, I hate it when they use English in dramas, it always makes me roll my eyes so hard. Maybe it's irrational, I don't know.

Speaking of English, I wonder why there are so many loanwords from English in Korean. Hip exclamations are one thing, but words like 'table', 'cheese', 'kiss'? How is it possible that Koreans didn't have words for these things so they had to borrow from English?

-------------------------------

It's Sunday morning now. This week was less intensive on the language learning like I had expected. I was busier and more tired.

My Finnish Anki review pile has grown to 300 cards. I just don't know what to do. I want to keep studying Finnish and abandoning Anki seems like waving the white flag. I haven't abandoned it yet, I do about 3-5 minutes of reviews every day. Obviously that's not enough.

On the other hand, I know I could be even more productive with Korean if I didn't have to worry about Finnish. But I would hate dropping Finnish. All those reasons I mentioned in my first post for studying it are still valid. Argh.

I've been a bit lazy with my Korean reviews too, I have 180 cards for today. I'll try to get back to 0 by tomorrow night.

Speaking of Anki, I made some inquiries about Anki 2 and it turns out that Anki 2 doesn't have the "delay siblings for new cards" option that I've been using in Anki 1 to delay studying the active cards until I've become familiar with the passive cards. This is very disappointing and it means I won't be able to study my Korean deck the way I've been doing it before once I upgrade. So I probably won't upgrade until I'm forced to.

This discussion contains 559 messages over 70 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version