forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5317 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Korean, Japanese

Message 249 of 559
04 November 2012 at 3:24pm | IP Logged 
Evita wrote:
Speaking of English, I wonder why there are so many loanwords from English in Korean. Hip exclamations are one thing, but words like 'table', 'cheese', 'kiss'? How is it possible that Koreans didn't have words for these things so they had to borrow from English?

They definitely have a common one for table (탁자) and I've seen various Korean phrasings for kissing as well; cheese I'm not as sure about, but foods are often loan words anyway due to certain foods being more common to some regions than others. Some of it seems to be more that it's "cool" in South Korea to use English words rather than the native Korean equivalent.

On a similar note, it is always fun to watch a variety show when they decide to play a game that has "no loan words" as part of the rules. The participants quickly find out just how many loan words they've come to rely on. It was particularly interesting when they did it on 꽃다발 as they had several idol groups present with English-based names, so they had to change them back to Korean as well (Secret to 비밀, Rainbow to 무지게, , 4minute to 4분 [사분], etc.) when speaking during that portion of the show.

Edited by Warp3 on 04 November 2012 at 3:25pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Evita
Tetraglot
Latvia
learnlatvian.info
Joined 6334 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 
Speaks: Latvian*, English, German, Russian
Studies: Korean, Finnish

Message 250 of 559
05 November 2012 at 10:31am | IP Logged 
I haven't watched any Korean variety shows yet so I can't comment on that but it sounds like fun. Speaking of variety shows, they are a mystery to me. With dramas, it's easy - I find a title a like, I download it, I watch it. But these variety shows have no beginning or ending, right? Where do I start? I don't watch them in any other languages either so I have no idea how they work.

Speaking of TV shows, I finished watching Gumiho yesterday. It's quite difficult for me to evaluate this show as a whole. It was mostly cute, and some parts were funny, and some parts were quite emotional (I cried in episode 14), but overall it didn't grab me and I found many parts boring. I wasn't invested in the characters until the very end. Oh, and the whole director/aunt subplot was so ridiculous I can't even express it. Maybe not the storyline itself but how they played it for laughs. I hate that kind of comedy.

I would rate my enjoyment of Gumiho at about the same level of You're Beautiful or slightly less. Perhaps it's because I watched YB a while ago and I've already forgotten most of the boring/ridiculous stuff. Or maybe it's because I was more invested in the romance in YB.

After I finished watching Gumiho, I spent two hours watching Coffee Prince. You're probably tired of hearing about it but I haven't tired of watching it yet. I'm looking forward to I Miss You this Wednesday.

I also did a lot of Anki reviews (not all of them) and repeated some TTMIK lessons.

Finnish

Yes, I made some progress on Finnish yesterday! I listened to the radio for an hour and I opened my Russian-Finnish textbook again to lesson 10 to read about the third infinitive again. I will not be reading that sauna text however.

I have decided that I need to keep learning new Finnish words with Anki. Grammar can wait. The way I am studying Finnish, I may acquire a vocabulary of 2000 or even 3000 words and still not be able to produce proper sentences. It's because of all the cases and consonant gradation, and which verb goes with which case. I'm not spending much time to learn these things although they are essential. I just don't have the patience for it right now because Korean is so wonderfully free of cases and I am enjoying it. But when the time comes that I really need Finnish, I should be able to solidify all these grammar points in a month or two with lots of input. In the meantime I'll keep working on the vocabulary because it's a long process that can't be accomplished in a month or two.

Evita
Tetraglot
Latvia
learnlatvian.info
Joined 6334 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 

Message 251 of 559
07 November 2012 at 9:43am | IP Logged 
I've done more than my average amount of studying in the last two days - TTMIK lessons, SNU unit 10, My Korean review of unit 6, working with Anki, reading easy news in Finnish. The Anki backlog is not gone yet but it's significantly smaller for both languages.

TTMIK lesson 4x15 was the second part of 아무 expressions. It's good to have a reference like that but I don't think I'm going to learn them all now, I don't think I need to. I'll learn them when I come across them somewhere else.

Lesson 4x16 was about spaces between words in Korean. Pretty boring. The only new thing that I learned was that you can write two nouns together if the first one is from Chinese, for example 여자친구.

Lesson 4x17 was about word contractions that include the topic marker, for example 전. Very easy again. I felt there wasn't much to practice in this lesson so I went ahead to lesson 4x18. That one was about the superlative. Although I had already entered the words 제일 and 가장 into Anki (I don't remember where I got them from), I wasn't sure how to use them so this was a good lesson. Some example sentences were quite difficult.

I rediscovered the Soompi site. I had seen it mentioned in other logs but I had forgotten about it. Anyway, I checked it out and I can't believe the activity that goes on in there, there are millions of posts in the forums! And already more than 100 pages of posts for I Miss You which hasn't even started airing yet. It's unbelievable.

Edited by Evita on 07 November 2012 at 9:44am

Evita
Tetraglot
Latvia
learnlatvian.info
Joined 6334 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 

Message 252 of 559
08 November 2012 at 9:43am | IP Logged 
I watched the first episode of I Miss You without subtitles and I didn't understand anything except some short phrases here and there like "be quiet", "don't go", "drink slowly". I had hoped for slightly more but that's fine, I know my Korean is still in the beginner stages even though studying already level 4 on TTMIK might indicate otherwise. I won't be watching today's episode without subtitles.

Even though I still don't know what went on in episode 1, I have that same feeling that I had when I started watching SS - that it will be good. I like a good drama with good acting much better than comedy.

As for studying, I finished unit 10 on SNU. That's half of the course. Yay!

Evita
Tetraglot
Latvia
learnlatvian.info
Joined 6334 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 

Message 253 of 559
10 November 2012 at 9:56am | IP Logged 
Work has been busy but I'm still studying a lot. TTMIK lesson 4x19 introduced the word 덜 which is an antonym to both 더 and 다. Lesson 4x20 was the first "Sentence Building Drill" lesson. They didn't introduce any new grammar points there, it was intended for review and practice and vocabulary building. They had prepared 3 basic sentences and they showed how they can be altered by substituting various words and phrases for others. I'm happy to say that I already knew 90% of the vocabulary they used because it's hard for me to practice grammar with words I don't know.

I also started unit 11 on SNU and it contained a surprise for me - a grammar construction I had never seen. Yes, apparently it's another one of those that TTMIK forgot to introduce. It's the -러 가다 construction (I'm going in order to do something). In addition to this, unit 11 also introduces the future tense and "shall we...". They do cover a lot of stuff in one unit and I'm glad I already know most of it because otherwise my head would be spinning and I would forget everything a couple of days later.

Anki reviews are going well at the moment. Not for Finnish, that deck still has a backlog of 250 cards, but I'm up-to-date with the Korean deck. I've been adding a lot of new cards lately to this deck so my daily review count has gone up again, it's 97 today. I want to learn new words more quickly because I'm eager to watch dramas without subtitles and understand what's going on but I know I have to be careful not to go overboard because my Anki workload is already quite heavy.

Back when I started using Anki for Korean, I was thinking that I would stop typing the answer words a while later because of how much time it took. Now I'm at the point where I could do that but it turns out that I don't want to. My typing is a lot quicker than it was then so it doesn't take as much time, and besides it's the only writing practice I have so I'd be wise to keep it.

What I have been thinking about in connection with Anki 2 is separating my passive and active decks and learning them at different speeds. On one hand, I don't want to abandon studying the active deck because it's really useful for me. On the other hand, I realize that it's not necessary if my main goal is to understand spoken text, and it's more difficult to do active reviews than passive reviews. So I'm thinking that if I introduce 5-7 new passive cards per day and only 2 new active cards, it might be a good compromise. But I will think about it some more and keep using Anki 1 for now.

Evita
Tetraglot
Latvia
learnlatvian.info
Joined 6334 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 

Message 254 of 559
11 November 2012 at 9:07am | IP Logged 
Yesterday was Saturday and I spent a lot of it on Korean - on TTMIK, SNU, drama watching, Anki, and just general internet browsing. The two new TTMIK lessons I listened to were pretty easy. Lesson 4x21 was another lesson about spacing in Korean, they explained the difference between 돌려 주다 and 돌려주다 and a couple more word pairs like this. To be honest, this is the kind of stuff I can figure out myself just by looking at the dictionary, I didn't need a lesson about it. Lesson 4x22 was another word builder lesson, this time focusing on 장. Vocabulary is all well and good but I'm not adding all the words from this lesson into Anki, I can do that later. What I need TTMIK for the most is grammar explanations so I'm going to focus on those lessons.

I looked at the PDF for lesson 4x20 (sometimes I read the PDFs at the same time as listening to the lessons but sometimes I don't) and I noticed this sentence:

어쩌면 비가 내릴지도 몰라요 (maybe it might rain)

I wasn't familiar with this ending so I had to google it. The TTMIK hosts specifically mentioned at the beginning of the lesson that it would contain only grammar that we had learned up to this point, and yet there was this unfamiliar construction. They obviously thought they had introduced it before but they hadn't. Oh well.

I watched the first two episodes of I Miss You with subtitles. The drama is living up to my expectations and the child actors are very good. I'm hooked.

Evita
Tetraglot
Latvia
learnlatvian.info
Joined 6334 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 

Message 255 of 559
12 November 2012 at 10:23am | IP Logged 
Korean studying is going better than ever. I'm so in the mood for Korean that I don't even want to do anything else. And guess what? TTMIK lesson 4x23 explained the "어떡해요?" expression that I was asking about when I first started watching dramas! This lesson was titled "Word Contractions - Part 2" so I was expecting them to explain 이게 or something like that but in fact it was much more interesting. You can check out the PDF if you want to. I guess 이게 will go down as one of those things they never explain.

I did two more TTMIK lessons yesterday. One was about 훨씬 (that was easy) and one was about future tense noun groups like 읽을 책. This one would have been difficult if I hadn't already learned the -는 것 form. Also, it was interesting how they explained how this form evolved into the simple future.

Doing 3 new TTMIK lessons a day is perhaps too much but lately I've been feeling better about understanding all the new concepts, maybe because most of the concepts they introduce are not really new but are variations from previous concepts. So I don't need so much time to digest them anymore. I've also realized that I want to start reading more texts, something more challenging than the short ones in SNU lessons. I think I'll start working with the Iyagi lessons now and then. I already listened to two of them (about dreams and about deliveries) and I love them even though I don't understand much. I may download 20 lessons and put them on loop just to have some Korean in the background.

And finally - did you see this? They turned "You're Beautiful" into a comic book! That's awesome. And how nice of them to pick a drama I have seen. I'm seriously considering ordering all 3 books. That's a lot of comparatively easy reading material.

druckfehler
Triglot
Germany
Joined 4650 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Korean
Studies: Persian

Message 256 of 559
12 November 2012 at 11:31am | IP Logged 
I'm a bit confused about TTMIK making the comics, because I've seen them before for other dramas (including Coffee Prince ;). Check this out: Coffee Prince Manhwa

This discussion contains 559 messages over 70 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version