forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5317 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Korean, Japanese

Message 265 of 559
16 November 2012 at 4:30pm | IP Logged 
Evita wrote:
A couple of TTMIK lessons ago I heard the funniest Korean word - 따뜻하다 (ttatteuttada, to be warm). I just couldn't believe it was a real word when they said it, it seemed like stuttering or something.

I learned that word very early in my studies as it was in Pimsleur in the forms of "따뜻한 차" (warm tea) and "차가 아직 따뜻해요?" (Is the tea still warm?). I always loved saying that word and I think it's due to both the rhythm of the word (like you mentioned it's a bit "staccato") and that it shifts from a tensed version of a consonant (ㄸ) to the aspirated version (ㅅ+ㅎ = [ㅌ]) partway through the word.
1 person has voted this message useful

Haksaeng
Korea, South
Joined 5980 days ago

166 posts - 250 votes 
Studies: Korean, Arabic (Levantine)

Message 266 of 559
17 November 2012 at 5:45am | IP Logged 
깨끗하다 is fun too.

Evita
Tetraglot
Latvia
learnlatvian.info
Joined 6334 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 
Speaks: Latvian*, English, German, Russian
Studies: Korean, Finnish

Message 267 of 559
17 November 2012 at 11:33am | IP Logged 
I've decided that there's no point for me to watch ongoing Korean dramas. I wanted to try it out for two reasons:

1) to try watching without subtitles
2) to follow the plot discussions on various sites

I tried it last week with the first two episodes of I Miss You and it didn't go very well. One - I couldn't understand anything without subtitles. Two - the thread on Soompi is full of spoilers about upcoming episodes and I hate spoilers. Three - it's hard to get into a drama when you have to wait a week for new episodes. It's a much better experience for me if I can watch them all whenever I feel like it so I'll wait until it's over and watch something else in the meantime.

I finished level 4 on TTMIK! The sentence building drill lesson was very good, it covered like ten different grammar points. Very useful for reviewing and practicing.

I did some more of unit 7 of My Korean and the listening exercise 4b was quite difficult. People talked about what they did the previous night mentioning specific times like 8 o'clock and they spoke very quickly. I had to listen to it twice to get everything.

Evita
Tetraglot
Latvia
learnlatvian.info
Joined 6334 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 

Message 268 of 559
18 November 2012 at 9:39am | IP Logged 
I switched to Anki 2 yesterday. It took me some time to get everything set up. I have three decks now - the Finnish one, one for Korean recognition and one for Korean production. Both Korean decks contain (and will contain) the same number of cards but I will focus on the passive deck more. It means that I will introduce more new cards daily in this deck. As time goes by, the amount of unseen cards in my active deck will continue to grow, I expect, (it's at 80 now) and that's fine for now. If I feel like catching up I can switch around the daily limits on both decks.

Doing the active and passive reviews separately is kind of nice. I set the initial ease around 170% - 200% for my three decks so I expect to press the 'Good' button more often than the 'Hard' one. I'm also tinkering with the learning mode settings, I'm not sure yet what will work best for me. But overall I think my work with Anki might be more productive from now on.

The most annoying thing is that I have to switch my keyboard settings all the time when entering new cards because Anki doesn't remember individual settings for each field. I forgot to do it at least 10 times yesterday, it's very annoying and frustrating. Column adjustments in the card browser also work in an annoying way but at least that's not something I have to do every day.

Well, in addition to playing with the new Anki, I also managed to do some studying yesterday. A little bit of SNU and My Korean and lesson 5x01 on TTMIK. It was about how to say you almost did something. Not too difficult. This was the first lesson that included a prerecorded "you're listening to TTMIK" segment, actually two of them. It felt weird, like the lesson was more serious than usually. I don't know, I didn't like it much.

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6379 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 269 of 559
18 November 2012 at 2:41pm | IP Logged 
Heh, because of the keyboard switching issue my tag for Spanish is уызфтоф:D

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5317 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 

Message 270 of 559
18 November 2012 at 5:53pm | IP Logged 
Evita wrote:
The most annoying thing is that I have to switch my keyboard settings all the time when entering new cards because Anki doesn't remember individual settings for each field. I forgot to do it at least 10 times yesterday, it's very annoying and frustrating.

One thing I've come across that you may find useful is that if you go into Browse mode and change your keyboard mode in the search box up top, that seems to change the default for all the fields when adding a new card for that deck in that same Anki session.

In other words:
- Go to the "Browse" window
- Click the text box up top (as if you were intending to search for a card)
- Change your keyboard into Korean input mode
- Click the "+" toolbar button to add new cards
- You will now notice that all the fields on the new card are set to the Korean keyboard by default (though you can then change it for an individual field and it seems to remember the keyboard mode for that until you stop adding new cards)

However, I've also noticed that performing certain tasks like enabling italics while entering data seems to make Anki forget which keyboard mode to use for a field. Also tabbing through a field set to EN input mode always seems to switch you back to "A" typing mode for any KO/JP input mode fields, which gets a bit annoying. Of course that's partly the fault of the Windows IME, which I feel should default to 가 mode for Korean anyway.

Edited by Warp3 on 18 November 2012 at 6:00pm

Evita
Tetraglot
Latvia
learnlatvian.info
Joined 6334 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 

Message 271 of 559
19 November 2012 at 9:40am | IP Logged 
Quote:
One thing I've come across that you may find useful is that if you go into Browse mode and change your keyboard mode in the search box up top, that seems to change the default for all the fields when adding a new card for that deck in that same Anki session.

I'm not sure how this would fix my problem. When I enter new cards I need to constantly switch between two fields - the English field and the Korean field. Anki 2 doesn't remember different keyboard settings for them, that's the problem. What the default setting is doesn't matter. I always have to press the right Alt key to switch between hangeul and the Latin alphabet.

--------------------------

So I was looking through the Anki shared decks yesterday, just for fun, and suddenly I decided to share my own deck. You can get it here. I think it might be useful for beginners.

I also finished unit 12 on SNU. It focused on talking on the phone. It's pretty motivating that these lessons are so short and I can finish one in several days. In comparison, the units from My Korean are 5 times as long.

Lesson 5x02 was about the honorific suffix 시. It was their longest lesson that I've listened to, 28 minutes. But it was a very good lesson. I appreciated how they explained that you add the suffix before other suffixes, and that over time the present suffix -셔요 morphed into -세요.

I wonder how well I will remember the fact that you must use honorifics depending on who you're talking about, not who you're talking to. That's such a different concept from the European languages.

I worked a little more on reading the Iyagi lesson no.40. The PDF contains the English translation for the whole lesson below the whole Korean transcript, and this format is not very useful for looking up sentence translations. And the stupid Foxit reader doesn't let me open two copies of the same file so I had to print out the Korean text. After working with the text for a while I've decided that reading this with a translation available is exactly right for my level. I mean, it's a bit challenging but that's a good thing.

Oh, I came across the word 신기하다 (to be marvelous, wonderful) in the text. For some reason I really like it, it makes me think about something festive.

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5317 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 

Message 272 of 559
19 November 2012 at 1:10pm | IP Logged 
Evita wrote:
I'm not sure how this would fix my problem. When I enter new cards I need to constantly switch between two fields - the English field and the Korean field. Anki 2 doesn't remember different keyboard settings for them, that's the problem. What the default setting is doesn't matter. I always have to press the right Alt key to switch between hangeul and the Latin alphabet.

Ahhh. I overlooked the first line in your post and didn't realize you were talking about Anki 2. That is sad to hear that the keyboard setting isn't per field in Anki 2. I hope they fix that soon.

This discussion contains 559 messages over 70 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version