learnlatvian.info
Joined 6312 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 
Speaks: Latvian*, English, German, Russian
Studies: Korean, Finnish

Message 289 of 559
03 December 2012 at 9:29am | IP Logged 
Warp3 wrote:
By the way, if you plan to mine words from the written items in that series like I did, keep in mind that one of the words in the note the secretary's grandmother wrote (early in the series) is apparently a misspelling of 점잖은 (since the way she spelled it simply doesn't exist as a word but that word would suit the context perfectly).

The words I learned from Coffee House were more basic words like writer, secretary, hope, divorce etc. The size of my vocabulary is still barely 800 words so hunting through written items wasn't on my to-do list. Maybe I'll rewatch it a year later, I might do it then.

I watched this video yesterday. First without subtitles, then with English subtitles, then with Korean subtitles. I love these multi-subtitle videos. I added quite a few words to Anki too - 녹음하다, 미리, 부탁하다, 지각하다, 맨날, 역시, 정보, 놀라다, 저희, 이미. I mostly understood the construction of the sentences but a few things puzzled me. What is the meaning of 줄 besides a line or a rope? They said it a few times in the video and I couldn't make any sense of it. And why did 현우 keep saying 사 놨어요 instead of 샀어요?

While I'm asking questions, let me also ask this: what's the difference between 글씨 and 문자?

I'm venturing more and more into the Korean internet. This weekend I finally looked up the soundtracks for Coffee Prince and Coffee House. I might try to learn the lyrics of one or two of the songs.

I'm still in unit 7 of My Korean and it introduced the -거든(요) ending. I didn't remember it from TTMIK and it turns out that TTMIK introduce it in lesson 6x17. It's kind of funny that they introduce it so late but some other books introduce it so early. Well, I listened to half of the TTMIK lesson to get another perspective on the ending.

I also reviewed lesson 5x07, it mentioned expression 마음에 들다 and when to use it.
1 person has voted this message useful

druckfehler
Triglot
Germany
Joined 4628 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Korean
Studies: Persian

Message 290 of 559
03 December 2012 at 3:00pm | IP Logged 
Evita wrote:
What is the meaning of 줄 besides a line or a rope? They said it a few times in the video and I couldn't make any sense of it.

I didn't listen to the video, so what I'm going to say may not be applicable. There is a form of -ㄹ 줄 알다/모르다, which can have two different meanings: (not) know how to do sth. or an assumption. By the way, the "line" meaning of 줄 can also refer to a line of text.

Evita wrote:
And why did 현우 keep saying 사 놨어요 instead of 샀어요?

I also saw that form somewhere lately and was a bit puzzled. It's a grammar pattern. Here you go: -어/아 놓다

Evita wrote:
While I'm asking questions, let me also ask this: what's the difference between 글씨 and 문자?

글씨 is definitely something handwritten, I'm not sure that's the case for 문자 (I guess it's the more overarching term).

Edited by druckfehler on 03 December 2012 at 3:01pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Evita
Tetraglot
Latvia
learnlatvian.info
Joined 6312 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 

Message 291 of 559
05 December 2012 at 9:34am | IP Logged 
Thanks for the answers, druckfehler.

I see that the organization of TAC 2013 has started. I wouldn't be against being on a Korean team but I won't participate in it for the simple reason that I don't want to change the name of my log. It's already as long as the website allows and if I wanted to add "TAC 2013" then I'd have to delete something as well. Besides, I've got a lot of support from both Korean learners and Finnish learners during this year so I feel like I'm on a team anyway.

I'm rather busy this week with work and some other activities so I won't have much time for studying. I've been reviewing TTMIK lessons though as I had planned. Yesterday I wanted to watch something Korean but I was too tired to look for a new drama so I went back to Rooftop Prince. It's not too bad if I ignore the enormous sadness of the whole set-up.

Evita
Tetraglot
Latvia
learnlatvian.info
Joined 6312 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 

Message 292 of 559
06 December 2012 at 9:28pm | IP Logged 
Speaking of my work, the team that I'm in at the client site is pretty much a linguistic heaven. We've got 2 Latvians (including me), 5 Russians (who more or less speak Latvian) and people who don't speak Latvian at all - a Lithuanian, a Belorussian and two Poles (or maybe one of them is a Slovak, I'm not sure). Our official team meetings are in English but most of the unofficial communication takes place in Russian. This is bringing my Russian level up again, just listening to it. Speaking it is hard, I'm not used to it and there's no real necessity for it, I can get by just fine with Latvian and English. But sometimes I think it's kind of silly to speak English with the Belorussian guy. I'll see if I can try speaking Russian a bit more often.

Так как этот пост о русском языке, я хотела написать что-то и по-русски. Сегодня я повторила несколько TTMIK уроков, но ещё не работала с Anki. И уже поздно, так что я не буду писать много. Вообще-то, мне и писать особенно нечего. Завтра у меня должно-бы быть больше времени для изучения корейского языка.

Evita
Tetraglot
Latvia
learnlatvian.info
Joined 6312 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 

Message 293 of 559
07 December 2012 at 6:56pm | IP Logged 
Speaking of work again, you'll never guess what happened today. My boss from the client side was talking to someone in Russian and at the end of the conversation she said "понятно... 알았어..." She kind of said the Korean part to herself because obviously she didn't expect anyone else to understand it. I was pretty shocked. Even though I had an inkling that she might be a K-drama fan because her computer's screensaver picture was of a Korean actor, I hadn't asked her about it. It's work, after all, and Korean dramas might not be the most professional topic to discuss. Well, it turns out that she's also studying Korean (for the second year already) and she said the picture on her computer was from Faith. It's pretty awesome, right? Now I'll have someone to discuss dramas with in real life.

I've been using the commuting time to and from work to listen to TTMIK lessons. I tried doing the Anki reviews at first but listening is better. When I listen to the lessons at my computer I always want to do something else at the same time because simply listening is boring. But when I'm in a bus I have nothing else to do so I can concentrate on the lesson very well. So I'm already up to lesson 5x14. They finally introduced the -니까 ending, yay! It's one of those endings I had already looked up myself because I kept hearing it in the dramas.

My Anki reviews are going well but I didn't add any new words yesterday. Hopefully I can add today at least some.

The Finnish reviews have probably climbed almost sky-high. I don't know, I have my Finnish daily review limit set to 150 so it's always 150. I just don't know what to do about Finnish... So I do nothing. On some days I review 20 words or so. I guess I'll get back to Finnish when I get tired of Korean.

Evita
Tetraglot
Latvia
learnlatvian.info
Joined 6312 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 

Message 294 of 559
09 December 2012 at 10:11am | IP Logged 
I wasn't in the mood for active learning yesterday so I immersed myself in Korean instead by listening to the radio and watching Faith. I wouldn't say this drama is great but it's good enough to keep me interested. It's funny though how many people get sick or injured in a show about a doctor.

I updated my shared Anki deck, it has 832 notes now. I'm very happy with Anki in general right now because the reviews don't take more than half an hour even though I've been adding lots of new words recently. One reason for that, I think, is the learning mode, and another reason is that I split my active and passive cards into different decks so it's easier to review them.

Evita
Tetraglot
Latvia
learnlatvian.info
Joined 6312 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 

Message 295 of 559
10 December 2012 at 9:19am | IP Logged 
I did TTMIK lesson 5x15 yesterday, it was about the -(이)라도 particle. At the start of the lesson the hosts said that we would have fun using it and I was a bit confused because they had never said anything like that before. But now I think I understand. For those of you who may not be familiar with it, this particle is something you attach to a noun when you know this noun is not the best choice. For example, "Okay, I'll take the bus (even though I would have preferred a car)" or "Okay, I'll buy this one (if you have nothing better)". This is one of those grammar points that make me glad I started studying Korean because otherwise I would have never known such a thing existed.

I also worked on My Korean yesterday. Task 8 of unit 7 was the first reading exercise in this book. It was a simple letter that used mostly the past tense and I'm happy to say there were only a couple of words I didn't know. Task 9 is a writing task and I haven't decided yet whether I'll do it. It would be useful but it would also be difficult so I'm tempted to skip it.

Evita
Tetraglot
Latvia
learnlatvian.info
Joined 6312 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 

Message 296 of 559
12 December 2012 at 9:58am | IP Logged 
I did so much active listening to Korean during the day yesterday that I overloaded on it and didn't want to do it anymore at home after work. It's the first time that has happened to me. I did listen to a lot - more than an hour of TTMIK lessons and almost an hour of Iyagi podcasts. Usually I don't listen to Iyagi much because I don't understand anything but yesterday I had already done a lot of lessons and I needed to take a break from them. Also, it was snowing a lot so it took me more time than usual to get to work and back (which means more time for listening).

The Iyagi lessons are a great source of vocabulary. I'm so eager to learn more words but I set my daily Anki limit to 8. That seems like a number I could do long-term. The best case scenario is that I will learn (to recognize) 240 new words a month, that would be great. Let's see how long I can keep it up.

The TTMIK lessons are getting more advanced. Lesson 5x17 was about quoting someone (-(ㄴ/는)다는, -(ㄴ/는)다고). It's quite difficult. Lesson 5x16 about the narrative present tense (는다) was much easier in comparison because I'd seen and heard this ending a lot before.

This discussion contains 559 messages over 70 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version