The Real CZ
United States
Joined 5436 days ago

1069 posts - 1495 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Korean

Message 297 of 559
12 December 2012 at 3:20pm | IP Logged 
The quotes took me a while to grasp, but go over those lessons in detail and make sure you understand those structures more than anything else from TTMIK (except stuff from level 1.) Those quote patterns are used a lot and you'll start understanding more once you get those structures down.
1 person has voted this message useful

Evita
Tetraglot
Latvia
learnlatvian.info
Joined 6339 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 
Speaks: Latvian*, English, German, Russian
Studies: Korean, Finnish

Message 298 of 559
14 December 2012 at 10:17am | IP Logged 
I listened to TTMIK lesson 5x19 on my way to home last night but I don't remember anything about it anymore. Listening without reading the PDF is not nearly as useful. The same goes for the sentence building drill lesson 5x20. Maybe it was because I was tired but I could barely follow it.

My Korean Anki reviews are going well although I'm not using the learning method the best way. Lately I have stopped doing Anki at work (no time and more difficult to concentrate) so I always do it at night. But when I review a word a couple of times, the next review should be in two hours but often I'm already asleep at that time. So I do them the next day, usually the next evening. Sometimes I have forgotten them, sometimes I haven't.

I also went back to unit 12 on SNU. I thought I had finished it but apparently not.

I also continue to watch Faith. There are some good things in it (mainly the actors), some things that are not that good but the thing that bothers me the most is how easy and often people get killed. I'm only halfway through it and there must be already more than 100 people killed, often unnecessarily (in my opinion).

Evita
Tetraglot
Latvia
learnlatvian.info
Joined 6339 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 

Message 299 of 559
15 December 2012 at 10:40am | IP Logged 
My Anki reviews were a complete fail yesterday, I didn't do anything. I kept postponing them and then I was so tired I just fell asleep. Oh well. At least I'm well rested today (which is Saturday).

I did listen to TTMIK lessons and lesson 5x21 was about how you shorten the object marker 를 to ㄹ. That's easy enough (not to mention I knew it already). What threw me however was this example sentence:

어딜 눌러야 돼요? (Where should I press?)

How can you attach an object marker to Where? And why would you do it? I just don't get it.

The Real CZ
United States
Joined 5436 days ago

1069 posts - 1495 votes 
Studies: Japanese, Korean

Message 300 of 559
15 December 2012 at 2:43pm | IP Logged 
어디를/어딜 is basically the same as 어디에. It's usage is slightly different, but you'll come to understand it through exposure. It's more common in speech and less common in writing.

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5322 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 
Studies: Spanish, Korean, Japanese

Message 301 of 559
16 December 2012 at 6:01pm | IP Logged 
One *very* common usage of 어딜 is "어딜 봐?" (Where are you looking? / What are you looking at? / Who are you looking at?) I've come across that particular phrase in several song lyrics lately.

Evita
Tetraglot
Latvia
learnlatvian.info
Joined 6339 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 

Message 302 of 559
17 December 2012 at 10:48am | IP Logged 
I spent a lot of time on Korean during the weekend, especially on Sunday. I'm all caught up on my Korean reviews and I even added about 30 new words. That's enough new vocabulary for 4 days even if I don't have time to add any more. I'm getting close to 1000 words (916 now) so I'm excited. The first thousand words seems like a major milestone.

I've been getting more and more signs that I should slow down with the TTMIK lessons. All those quoting expressions are difficult and yesterday I listened to lesson 5x23 which introduced the -(으)려나 보다 (it seems like...) expression, which is a combination of two other expressions that were introduced previously in level 5 and that I'm still not comfortable with. It was pretty impossible for me to get a good grasp on the new expression. I think I need more time to review levels 3 & 4 and let that grammar settle in.

In the meantime, I will work with the SNU site and the My Korean book. Yesterday I finished the exercises on unit 12 of SNU and did about half of unit 13. It throws a lot of grammar at you in one unit - how to change descriptive verbs into the adjective form, the -ㄹ래요 ending, -고 싶다, counters... It's all just review for me though so I don't have to spend much time on these concepts fortunately.

I have only 5 episodes of Faith left but WITHS2 haven't published the last subtitles yet. I'm thinking I'll wait for them instead of watching with different subtitles. It'll be good for me, I'll have more time for studying if I'm not watching TV.

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5322 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 
Studies: Spanish, Korean, Japanese

Message 303 of 559
17 December 2012 at 12:45pm | IP Logged 
Seeing the various endings in your log reminds me that I need to change my focus from vocabulary back to grammar for a bit. In the past I found myself frequently shifting back and forth between the two whenever I'd start to notice that one was hindering my understanding more than the other. However with the TAC goals I had, I've been focused heavily on vocabulary for the bulk of the year (though I have picked up a few grammar forms throughout the year).
2 persons have voted this message useful

Evita
Tetraglot
Latvia
learnlatvian.info
Joined 6339 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 

Message 304 of 559
18 December 2012 at 9:45am | IP Logged 
My weakness right now is probably vocabulary. Not that I haven't worked on it - I have of course - but it takes time. It's tempting to try to learn more than 8 words a day but I know how many reviews that will cause so I'm resisting it.

Yesterday I finally did some 50 Finnish reviews again after a week of missing them. I was in a major traffic jam due to snow so I had time to kill.

As for my colleague at work who's into Korean, from what I have gathered, she's been watching dramas and listening to Korean music for several years before she decided she wanted to learn some Korean too. We haven't had many opportunities to talk about it but I'm afraid her level might be even lower than mine. She said she had been using this site as her main resource, she didn't even know about TTMIK or Anki or anything like that.

The good news is that she's going to Korea in March so I can ask her to buy some books for me. I have no idea what's available in Korean bookstores though so choosing something might prove to be quite difficult.

This discussion contains 559 messages over 70 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version