learnlatvian.info
Joined 6333 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 
Speaks: Latvian*, English, German, Russian
Studies: Korean, Finnish

Message 313 of 559
24 December 2012 at 9:12am | IP Logged 
Thanks Warp3, that's a useful tip.

Serpent, thanks, I may try it but I doubt I can find something useful that way. Maybe I'll just ask my colleague to ask the bookstore clerks what they recommend and buy those books.

druckfehler, I see your point about children's books. What would you recommend?

----------------------------------------------

I've finished unit 8 of My Korean. It's mostly just review for me so it's easy. The most useful thing I get out of it is the reading practice. I'll try to finish the last two lessons before January.

TTMIK lesson 5x25 introduced two new constructions - 편이다 and 비해서. 편이다 is the one I'm having trouble with.

I keep adding new cards to Anki faster than I can review them so I caved and increased my daily limit to 9. Actually the main reason I feel like doing more with Korean in Anki is that I haven't done almost any Finnish reviews recently. But I don't want to drop Finnish completely so it's a dilemma.
1 person has voted this message useful

Evita
Tetraglot
Latvia
learnlatvian.info
Joined 6333 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 

Message 314 of 559
27 December 2012 at 9:45am | IP Logged 
Even though I haven't posted for 3 days, my Korean studies are still going well. I didn't review many TTMIK lessons but I worked a bit with some Iyagi. I find that I can understand more of them than a month ago, both reading and listening.

I did two new TTMIK lessons about 대신에 and -잖아요. Those were comparatively easy. I also worked with unit 9 of My Korean, it introduces the Sino-Korean numbers. I skipped most of the exercises, I really hate practicing the numbers. But it's easy to go through this book, it moves really slowly.

As for Anki, I do maybe 150 reviews a day for both my Korean decks. Many of these are repeat reviews where I study the same word several times a day. This number will probably go up if I keep adding so many new cards but I think I can handle it. If it goes over 200 then I'll start thinking about how to reduce it.

I tried watching My Princess but it's clearly not for me. I think my next drama will be Nice Guy but I haven't gotten around to downloading it yet. In the meantime, I've been catching up on some American TV shows (Person of Interest) and rewatching Coffee Prince.

Evita
Tetraglot
Latvia
learnlatvian.info
Joined 6333 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 

Message 315 of 559
29 December 2012 at 10:11am | IP Logged 
I did 250 reviews in Anki yesterday, and many of them were Finnish cards. It seems like I've forgotten about 30% of my Finnish vocabulary. It's almost the end of the year and I want to get rid of my Finnish card backlog if possible. I also added some new cards because I never made it to the 1000th card. I know I know more than 1000 Finnish words already because not all of them are in Anki but still. It would be nice to have 1000 cards so I'm making a last effort this year. Actually my Korean deck is close to having 1000 cards as well so I may end up with a double thousand.

I thought about Finnish yesterday and I came up with a strategy of what to do with it in 2013. My overall goal is not to forget it, keep improving it slowly and be ready to work on it more if I suddenly get a Finnish project at work. To achieve this goal I will keep up with the existing Finnish cards in Anki but not add many (if any) new ones so as to keep the Anki workload light. I will also occasionally read the Easy Finnish news on YLE (with the help of Google Translate); I've found that this activity is more fun for me than studying from a course. At the moment I don't have any patience for studying the complicated Finnish case system or other grammar nuances. Korean has spoiled me with its lack of cases and conjugations.

Evita
Tetraglot
Latvia
learnlatvian.info
Joined 6333 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 

Message 316 of 559
30 December 2012 at 11:40am | IP Logged 
I wish I had known about SeoulFM before. It's a radio station that plays K-Pop. Now I can listen to it and figure out which artists/songs I like. Or just listen.

Yesterday I hunted Google Play for some apps related to Korean media. "tfsRadio" is awesome, it has many stations and not just Korean but also Finnish. The only downside is that internet on the phone is still rather expensive. If I decide I'd like to listen to the radio on the way to/from work I'll look into changing my price plan.

"tfsTV" application also exists but it didn't work on my phone. Two more apps I got are "K-POP Music" and "K-POP Charts". Since I don't watch the music shows I need someone to tell me what to search for on youtube.

My Anki reviews are not going as well as I had hoped. I was busy last night so I didn't finish all my Korean reviews. I still have more than 150 reviews left for Finnish, 67 and 122 cards for my Korean decks. I'm making an effort to get the double thousand so the reviews will be my priority today.

One more thing. I wanted to start watching Nice Guy but the subtitles have disappeared from the WITH S2 site. What's up with that? I guess I'll wait some more and watch something else instead. Hopefully it's just a technical error and they'll come back online.
2 persons have voted this message useful

The Real CZ
United States
Joined 5430 days ago

1069 posts - 1495 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Korean

Message 317 of 559
30 December 2012 at 2:56pm | IP Logged 
You have to pay to get most of the subtitles from WITHS2 now. They don't make many subtitles for their new projects public anymore.

Evita
Tetraglot
Latvia
learnlatvian.info
Joined 6333 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 

Message 318 of 559
30 December 2012 at 5:42pm | IP Logged 
Whaaaaaaat??! No, seriously? There's nothing about that on their website or on Facebook. How come? And how can they even do that when the subtitles are provided by volunteers? It doesn't make sense. And who exactly is buying them if I can't find any information about that even when I'm specifically looking for it? Maybe I'm missing something... Anyway, I probably wouldn't buy them if there are free subtitles available. They may not be as good in general but they may help me even more to get used to Korean sentence structures.

Edit: I found info about the VIA access. Is that what you're talking about? I may actually consider getting that, 10 dollars is practically nothing for half a year.

Edited by Evita on 30 December 2012 at 5:54pm

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5316 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 
Studies: Spanish, Korean, Japanese

Message 319 of 559
30 December 2012 at 10:07pm | IP Logged 
I got VIA access a while back for the subs to 지봉뚫고 하이킥 which is VIA only and I've used it for a couple series since. It was easy in mind to just consider it a donation since they release so much for free anyway. On that same note I've also donated to a few other subbing teams as well, like iSubs (which releases subbed episodes of Running Man).

The Real CZ
United States
Joined 5430 days ago

1069 posts - 1495 votes 
Studies: Japanese, Korean

Message 320 of 559
31 December 2012 at 2:15am | IP Logged 
Yeah, I meant the VIA access. They started doing that in either late 2009 or early 2010, and as time goes on, more series are exclusively VIA. Back in early 2010, VIA people got the episodes 2-3 weeks before everyone else did. That was really the true reason I started watching dramas without subtitles. I had to wait an extra three weeks to watch the last episodes of Chuno because of that policy. I just got to the point where I was like "f**k this shit, f**k WITHS2, I'll watch dramas without subs from now on."

This discussion contains 559 messages over 70 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version