Latvia
learnlatvian.info
Joined 6333 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 
Speaks: Latvian*, English, German, Russian
Studies: Korean, Finnish

Message 321 of 559
31 December 2012 at 11:31am | IP Logged 
Haha. Good for you. However, it's too soon for me to go without subtitles so I'll probably make the donation. I do notice slow improvement in what I can understand in dramas. For example, a couple of days ago in Faith I recognized the phrase "before your eyes". No, even better, I didn't recognize it, I heard this phrase for the very first time and understood it right away. It's so nice to see all that studying pay off.

I feel like my Anki goal is within reach. I need to learn 4 new Korean words and 13 new Finnish words today to make the double 1000. The amount of reviews is killing me (especially for Finnish where I have a huge backlog but also for Korean) but I will battle through it. I'm actually glad I started working with my Finnish deck again, it allows me to end the year and start the next year on a positive note.

My new favorite Korean song is 이승기 - 되돌리다 and it's perfect for me, I mean how easy it will be to learn it. The lyrics repeat a lot, I have already worked my way through half the song and added some words to Anki.

I decided to go on a spending spree this morning. I finally ordered the You're Beautiful comic books from the TTMIK store and I also wanted to order both "Korean Grammar in Use" books from Amazon but the reseller company (not Amazon itself) didn't want to deliver to Latvia. So I went directly to the publisher's website and it turns out the books there are twice cheaper than on Amazon. I sent them an e-mail, hopefully they won't refuse to deliver here.
1 person has voted this message useful

Evita
Tetraglot
Latvia
learnlatvian.info
Joined 6333 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 

Message 322 of 559
01 January 2013 at 11:15am | IP Logged 
Whew, 1000 Finnish words and 1000 Korean words. That feels nice.

I haven't finished My Korean 1 yet but I did sort of finish TTMIK level 5. I say "sort of" because I've only listened once to a few of the last lessons so I will definitely be repeating them.

Speaking of TTMIK, I've realized that listening to a whole lesson is an inefficient way to review just one grammar point. It was not a problem before but it's becoming a problem now that I'm getting more comfortable with Korean sentence structures in general. So I have decided to follow druckfehler's advice and create an Anki audio deck. Actually I don't think I will review this deck in a normal way, I already learned that SRSing grammar doesn't work very well for me. What I plan on doing is using the Anki browser and simply going through the sentences when I feel like it or searching for a particular ending that I want to review. I'm hoping this will be easier than trying to find the correct lesson on the TTMIK website and search the PDF.

I haven't edited mp3 files before so I'm not sure what the most efficient way is. What I've tried so far is using a program called "mp3DirectCut" to cut out the audio and using Audacity to change the bitrate so the file would take up less space. Having to work with two programs is not ideal but I couldn't find a convenient way of doing all of this in Audacity. I'll be happy to hear any suggestions on how to improve this process.

On a different note, I'm reading all the year end summaries of the Korean logs on this site and it seems everyone has studied so much and achieved so much, it's a bit depressing because I'm so far behind everybody and I can't catch up. On the other hand, it makes me want to study even more so it's all good. I'll be posting my own summary in March because that will mark one year since I started studying Korean.
2 persons have voted this message useful

sans-serif
Tetraglot
Finland
Joined 4340 days ago

298 posts - 470 votes 
Speaks: Finnish*, English, German, Swedish
Studies: Danish

Message 323 of 559
01 January 2013 at 12:07pm | IP Logged 
I'm not sure how convenient this is compared to mp3DirectCut, but the procedure in Audacity would go something like the this: open the source file, find the snippet you want, select it, do 'File -> Export selection'. The problem you may run into is that to produce mp3 files you also need the LAME encoder, which doesn't ship with Audacity for licensing reasons, I believe. Personally, I've opted for ogg files because they work out of the box and do the job just well.

Edited by sans-serif on 01 January 2013 at 12:09pm

druckfehler
Triglot
Germany
Joined 4649 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Korean
Studies: Persian

Message 324 of 559
01 January 2013 at 12:20pm | IP Logged 
Congratulations on your 2000 Anki cards! That's a lot!

Evita wrote:
I haven't edited mp3 files before so I'm not sure what the most efficient way is. What I've tried so far is using a program called "mp3DirectCut" to cut out the audio and using Audacity to change the bitrate so the file would take up less space. Having to work with two programs is not ideal but I couldn't find a convenient way of doing all of this in Audacity. I'll be happy to hear any suggestions on how to improve this process.

I only use Audacity. In my experience it works fine for cutting audio... What exactly is the issue? You can just mark a section and then select "export selection" and you won't have to do any actual cutting.

Evita wrote:
On a different note, I'm reading all the year end summaries of the Korean logs on this site and it seems everyone has studied so much and achieved so much, it's a bit depressing because I'm so far behind everybody and I can't catch up.

Well, you started a lot later than us and in 2 years you'll probably be where we are now. You've already made a lot of progress! I don't think I learned as much as 1000 words in my first 9 months.

Evita
Tetraglot
Latvia
learnlatvian.info
Joined 6333 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 

Message 325 of 559
02 January 2013 at 10:48am | IP Logged 
Thanks for your nice words, Renate. I appreciate them.

I don't remember specifically why I didn't like working with Audacity much... I'll try it again and write about it later this week.

I didn't do much studying yesterday, I think I'll take it easy this week, I need a bit of a break. I will still be doing Anki though because that's not the kind of thing you can take a break from. I've tried it and it's not worth it, the catching up is much harder. I'll use the break from studying to fiddle with audio software and watch dramas.

One thing I did yesterday that I hadn't done in a while was watching an American TV show with Korean subtitles. When I tried it in summer I watched an episode of something I had already seen and it wasn't worth it because I could understand very little of the subtitles. Now, however, I tried it with something I hadn't seen yet so my main attention was on what was happening on the screen and I didn't have any trouble finishing the episode. I mostly ignored the Korean subtitles but sometimes I did pause to read them and think about them. For example, someone got into a taxi and the taxi driver asked "Where to?" The subtitle, if I remember correctly, said "어디로 (or 어디에) 가세요?" At first I was confused about the verb but then I realized it's the simple "to go" with the honorific suffix thrown in. I think if I make it a habit to watch TV shows like this it would be a fun and painless way to learn some typical phrases in conversational Korean.

The Real CZ
United States
Joined 5430 days ago

1069 posts - 1495 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Korean

Message 326 of 559
02 January 2013 at 3:12pm | IP Logged 
You shouldn't fret too much about your level as of now. Like I said, I really spent the first year of my studying...not studying. You're probably around the level I'm at when I decided to dive more into native materials, so you got to where I was in a much shorter time frame. We may seem more advanced at Korean, but it's just a time factor, not talent, effort, etc.

Evita
Tetraglot
Latvia
learnlatvian.info
Joined 6333 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 

Message 327 of 559
04 January 2013 at 9:46am | IP Logged 
Turns out I wasn't in the mood for watching dramas much. Instead I've been listening to Korean music and in particular to the song I mentioned before - 되돌리다. I've been trying to learn the lyrics but I haven't gotten very far. My reading speed is not good enough yet to sing along while looking at the lyrics so it's frustrating to try. Reading them without the music is difficult too and less fun. But I'm making progress.

I've also started TTMIK level 6. They say they will introduce more sentence patterns from now on, not just grammar points. And they'll speak more in Korean during the lessons. Lesson 6x01 was very easy since 어때요 was covered in my other materials a long time ago. But I'll have to repeat the lesson and pause it when they say something in Korean to try to figure it out.

On a different subject, I've discovered that some Korean verbs come in pairs, for example:

to help - 돕다, 도와주다
to forget - 잊다, 잊어버리다
to ask - 묻다, 물어보다
to lose - 잃다, 잃어버리다

And these are just the ones I've come across. What's the difference in their meanings? I realize that the longer verbs are formed by attaching another verb to the first verb, one of the TTMIK lessons explained how 물어보다 is formed and that it's used more often than the short version. But they haven't mentioned the differences between the other verbs' usage.

The Real CZ
United States
Joined 5430 days ago

1069 posts - 1495 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Korean

Message 328 of 559
04 January 2013 at 3:14pm | IP Logged 
Evita wrote:
Turns out I wasn't in the mood for watching dramas much. Instead I've been listening to Korean music and in particular to the song I mentioned before - 되돌리다. I've been trying to learn the lyrics but I haven't gotten very far. My reading speed is not good enough yet to sing along while looking at the lyrics so it's frustrating to try. Reading them without the music is difficult too and less fun. But I'm making progress.

I've also started TTMIK level 6. They say they will introduce more sentence patterns from now on, not just grammar points. And they'll speak more in Korean during the lessons. Lesson 6x01 was very easy since 어때요 was covered in my other materials a long time ago. But I'll have to repeat the lesson and pause it when they say something in Korean to try to figure it out.

On a different subject, I've discovered that some Korean verbs come in pairs, for example:

to help - 돕다, 도와주다
to forget - 잊다, 잊어버리다
to ask - 묻다, 물어보다
to lose - 잃다, 잃어버리다

And these are just the ones I've come across. What's the difference in their meanings? I realize that the longer verbs are formed by attaching another verb to the first verb, one of the TTMIK lessons explained how 물어보다 is formed and that it's used more often than the short version. But they haven't mentioned the differences between the other verbs' usage.

Those are really auxillary verbs attached to the main verb, but these words are used enough that they get treated as separate words.

-어 준다
돕다 has an irregular conjugation system, but it's a super common word, so you'll end up learning it easily.
-어 버린다
-어 본다

This discussion contains 559 messages over 70 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version