Latvia
learnlatvian.info
Joined 6332 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 
Speaks: Latvian*, English, German, Russian
Studies: Korean, Finnish

Message 345 of 559
16 January 2013 at 9:40am | IP Logged 
That's a good suggestion, I hadn't checked that all the lessons are available without registering. I'll leave them for later though, I already have more resources than I have time for.

I didn't do a lot of studying in the last two days. I wanted to but I was too lazy and tired. I'm feeling guilty because I still haven't really started creating my Anki Korean sentence deck. I decided a while ago that I would do it but it requires so much work. I've cut out some audio files but I haven't created any notes in Anki yet, not even the template. I decided to start with sentences from TTMIK level 1 (even though I don't really need to review them) because I will probably want to share the deck so it should contain some easy sentences as well. I expect that once I get everything set up and get a routine going it won't take me much time to enter new cards.

Speaking of TTMIK, I've been slowly going ahead with level 6, I'm at lesson 6x9 now. What's different is that I don't review them as much as before so I forget them quicker, and that's not good. I've started to mix the regular lessons with the Iyagi podcasts on my phone, I'd listen to one when I was tired of the other.

Listening is all well and good but what hasn't been so great recently is intensive grammar study where I'd need to produce the grammar. I haven't even studied the TTMIK lesson PDF's. I really need to get back to that.

I've been wanting to mention for a while how I love the "수고하셨습니다" that the TTMIK hosts say at the end of almost every lesson. (It means "Good job, you worked hard".) I know it's a common thing to say but it still makes me feel good.
1 person has voted this message useful

Bakunin
Diglot
Switzerland
outerkhmer.blogspot.
Joined 4910 days ago

531 posts - 1126 votes 
Speaks: German*, Thai
Studies: Khmer

Message 346 of 559
16 January 2013 at 6:17pm | IP Logged 
Evita wrote:
... What's different is that I don't review them as much as before so I forget them quicker, and that's not good. ...

I wouldn't worry too much about forgetting. Forgetting is part of the learning process. If I have the choice, I usually prefer new stuff to reviewing old stuff, and my experience is that almost everything sorts itself out over time without me doing anything in particular. The meaning of a nasty particle, a difficult or strange grammatical structure, a peculiar way to say things, and of course the meaning of words, they all sort themselves out with enough exposure. I prefer seeing 1000 different examples of X (fill in whatever you're working on) to seeing 5 examples 200 times.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Evita
Tetraglot
Latvia
learnlatvian.info
Joined 6332 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 

Message 347 of 559
17 January 2013 at 9:59am | IP Logged 
Bakunin, what you're saying makes a lot of sense but I don't think that's the best learning method for me. Even though I'm talking a lot about the Iyagi series, I'm still a beginner in Korean. I need to get all the basic grammar structures down well and I'm counting on Korean Grammar in Use to help me with that. I can't wait for March when my colleague will hopefully bring those books back for me from Korea. I don't know exactly what they contain but I expect to be familiar with at least two thirds of the grammar points from the first book. When I'm done with this book I'll consider myself to be starting the intermediate level.

What I am trying to explain is that since I'm a beginner I don't get a lot of input so I don't like forgetting stuff that I should have learned. Sure, I try to listen a lot but that only helps me to learn to recognize the grammar I already know, not constructions that I've forgotten. And also, the TTMIK lessons build on their previous lessons so the more I forget the more difficult it is for me to learn something new. I do also have the impatience that wants me to move on to new materials all the time, I've been indulging it a bit with all the Iyagi lessons that I've been doing recently but it's been quite chaotic and maybe a bit too soon for me. I'm trying to find the right balance.

Anki is going great. Not the sentence deck, that one is still non-existing, but the vocabulary deck already has 1149 cards in it. Remember how I barely had a thousand at the start of 2013? I've added a lot of words and I hope I can keep doing that. At one point the reviews will probably get too much for me and then I'll have a difficult decision to make.

One thing about TTMIK lesson 6x07. It was about 어차피 and as an aside, they spent almost a full minute talking about how some people pronounced this word differently, not the standard way. They said the word both ways multiple times but they never really explained what the difference was and I couldn't hear any. I hate it when they assume their listeners are so adept at hearing the differences between ㅊ and ㅉ or whatever that they don't even explain it. This is not the first time something like this has happened.

vermillon
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4458 days ago

602 posts - 1042 votes 
Speaks: French*, EnglishC2, Mandarin
Studies: Japanese, German

Message 348 of 559
17 January 2013 at 11:51am | IP Logged 
Evita wrote:
Anki is going great. Not the sentence deck, that one is still non-existing, but the vocabulary deck already has 1149 cards in it. Remember how I barely had a thousand at the start of 2013? I've added a lot of words and I hope I can keep doing that. At one point the reviews will probably get too much for me and then I'll have a difficult decision to make.

What amount of cards do you have to review daily, and how much do you think represents "too much"? I've personally found that it's not so much the amount of cards to review that bothers me, but the amount of cards failed. I'm also experimenting with the daily amount of cards I can learn: I try to learn a lot of words for a few days (3-4) and then spend the rest of the week with no new card, and it seems to frustrates me less than the same amount of cards spread out daily every single day of the week. It gives me a sort of rewarding feeling when I fail almost no card by the end of the week, and I'm ready for another batch of cards on the next week.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Evita
Tetraglot
Latvia
learnlatvian.info
Joined 6332 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 

Message 349 of 559
17 January 2013 at 7:45pm | IP Logged 
For me the best way is to learn new cards every single day. Failed cards don't bother me much because 1) I'm expecting failed cards because Korean is difficult and 2) I have set up several learning steps so I actually don't fail them that much.

Since you asked about the amount of my reviews, here are my stats for the last month:

Korean Passive
Korean Active
Finnish Active

One thing that's great about Anki 2 is the "New interval" option for decks in the "Lapses" section. I have set it to 25% instead of the default 0%. It means that if a card had an interval of 40 days and I failed it, it's going to have an interval of 10 days when it comes out of the "relearning" mode instead of 1 day. I find that using this option reduces the amount of reviews and makes me more likely to hit the Fail button if I remembered the word "sort of" but not really.

The learning steps for my Korean deck are "5 20 40" and the relearning steps are "10 30" in case you're interested.

As for what is "too much", that'll be when I can't be bothered with the reviews and let them slide. It's hard to predict when precisely that will be. It will depend heavily on my motivation. Right now I'm already spending a significant amount of time with Anki every day but I don't resent it because I know it's the best way to get vocabulary into my head quickly. Obviously I won't keep it up forever. I'm thinking maybe some more months of intensive vocabulary studying, then maybe taking it easy during the summer, then maybe picking it up again if I feel like it.

Ojorolla
Diglot
Groupie
France
Joined 4745 days ago

90 posts - 130 votes 
Speaks: French*, English

Message 350 of 559
18 January 2013 at 5:37am | IP Logged 
Evita wrote:
They said the word both ways multiple times but they never really explained what the difference was and I couldn't hear any. I hate it when they assume their listeners are so adept at hearing the differences between ㅊ and ㅉ or whatever that they don't even explain it.

They're aspirated/unaspirated sounds. I guess you already know the theory, but just in case... I don't know if you have aspirated or unaspirated or both sounds in Latvian, but in English you have an unaspirated 'p' in 'speak' and an aspirated one in 'pick'.
Put your hand in front of your mouth, and say (1)speak and (2)pick. You'll feel a lot more airblow in (2) than in (1). That is the difference.

Edited by Ojorolla on 18 January 2013 at 5:48am

Evita
Tetraglot
Latvia
learnlatvian.info
Joined 6332 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 

Message 351 of 559
18 January 2013 at 9:38am | IP Logged 
Yes, of course I know the theory regarding aspirated and unaspirated consonants and how it applies to Korean. Recognizing these sounds (with the double consonants thrown in the mix as well), however, is not that easy. My rant regarding TTMIK was about the fact that they didn't explain which consonant (or even a vowel) was changed in the other pronunciation.

As for Latvian, we have only unaspirated consonants, at least I think so. I can produce the aspirated p from English pretty effortlessly though. The hardest English sound for Latvians to get right is the 'th', and the second hardest is the 't' in 'tea'. The most difficult sound for me in Korean, I think, is the ㅊ sound because I haven't encountered it before.

Now on to the good news. I got my You're Beautiful comic book set today! No idea how easy or difficult it will be to read it.

I have so far been successful in reading at least 5 minutes in Korean every day. It's not much but I'm sure I'll see an improvement in a month or two.

Evita
Tetraglot
Latvia
learnlatvian.info
Joined 6332 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 

Message 352 of 559
21 January 2013 at 9:44am | IP Logged 
It's Monday morning and I don't have time to write much so I'll try to keep this short. I made decent progress on Korean on Saturday, I worked on Subways and I even finished unit 9 of My Korean. Now there's only one unit left. I believe this book was supposed to last for one semester so I should really finish it quickly. What's been holding me back is that the last chapters have contained a lot of numbers - times, dates, prices. I don't want to drill numbers, I really hate it. In the end, I've been skipping most of those exercises.

I spent most of Sunday watching Secret Garden. I was so hooked on it I only did 30% of my Anki reviews and went to bed later than usual so I slept less than 6 hours and today is going to be difficult.

I think I've been spending at least 2 hours on Korean every day, not including watching dramas. This week I'm going to focus on Finnish, that means I'll try to spend about 40% of my studying time on it instead of on Korean. I'll also cut back on entering new Korean words into Anki because the review count is starting to get a bit overwhelming. Here are my goals for this week:

- get rid of my Finnish Anki backlog and enter some new cards
- listen to Finnish radio, read news articles and do one Teach Yourself Finnish lesson
- complete the January TAC challenge for Korean
- complete the Iyagi transcript about subways (currently about 40% done).

This discussion contains 559 messages over 70 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version