Latvia
learnlatvian.info
Joined 6334 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 
Speaks: Latvian*, English, German, Russian
Studies: Korean, Finnish

Message 361 of 559
30 January 2013 at 10:14am | IP Logged 
Since my last post I've discovered that Hyun Bin, the male lead from Secret Garden, was also the male lead in My Name is Kim Sam Soon. I was shocked I hadn't made the connection. Then I promptly went back to watch him in both dramas and I could barely see a resemblance. Part of it must have been because of the different hair style but still. Either he's changed a lot in 5 years or I'm just really crap at recognizing Korean faces.

I wasn't in the mood for studying the last two days (or, more precisely, evenings) because of too little sleep. It means I just did the minimum I had to do - the Anki reviews, plus some listening while commuting. TTMIK lesson 6x18 finally introduced the different ways to say "or" in Korean. It was quite useful even if it was really overdue and even though I had already figured out 아니면 (to not be + if) by myself.

I'm hoping to complete the TAC January challenge tonight. As for the 6 week challenge, I'm not going to participate in that. I never measure time when I'm studying because that would suck all the enjoyment out of the process. I would feel like I had to compete with myself all the time to get better statistics.
1 person has voted this message useful

Evita
Tetraglot
Latvia
learnlatvian.info
Joined 6334 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 

Message 362 of 559
31 January 2013 at 9:49am | IP Logged 
I did the audio recording for the January challenge yesterday but I didn't finish my self-introduction. I thought I should write more than 3 sentences. Oh well, it's still January so I still have some time left.

A while ago I wrote about some Android apps for my phone. tfsRadio is turning out to be the one I use the most (besides AnkiDroid, of course). It has not only Korean radio stations but stations from all over the world. I've been playing with it this week, and I think I found my new favorite Finnish radio station this morning - Radio Sun. It has the rare combination of a good stream (no buffering), likeable music and just enough talking. This might be a very good thing for my Finnish.

Edit: I forgot to tell you about the hard work/detective work that sometimes is involved in trying to find a particular foreign word. For example, yesterday I was rewatching a bit of SG and I noticed - again - the word "pikyo" which was translated as "move". I wanted to add it to Anki so I tried to find it in the Naver dictionary (searching for "move") but I didn't have any luck. Then I tried my paper dictionary and scanned the words that started with "pik" and again I had no luck. Then I remembered I have the transcripts for SG episodes, the only problem was to find the exact place that I needed. Hmm. Then I remembered that the word "family" had been mentioned in the dialogue recently and I knew 가족 so I searched the document for that and finally I found it. 비켜! Then of course I was mad at myself for missing this word in my dictionary. I had checked all 3 different p's but didn't think to check all 3 different k's.

Edited by Evita on 31 January 2013 at 1:02pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Evita
Tetraglot
Latvia
learnlatvian.info
Joined 6334 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 

Message 363 of 559
01 February 2013 at 9:55am | IP Logged 
I completed the January TAC challenge on time, phew. I'm not a big fan of these challenges, I certainly don't need them to motivate me to study, I'm just doing it for the team.

Now that that's out of the way, I can focus on Anki again. I still haven't cleared my Finnish backlog. And speaking of Finnish, do you know which are the most often used words in Finnish radio commercials? "piste fi"! I don't even need to enter piste (dot) into Anki, it's already in my head.

Now here's a bit of surprising news - an opportunity to have a trip to Mexico this March has basically fallen into my lap. I don't know whether to take it or not. There are a couple of considerations, not the least of which is the crime situation in Mexico. But the more I think about it the more it seems like I'd be a fool to pass it up. I've never been across the ocean.

I'll have to decide it (and clear it with my work) in the next week or so. If I'm going then I'll put both Korean and Finnish aside in favor of Spanish.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Evita
Tetraglot
Latvia
learnlatvian.info
Joined 6334 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 

Message 364 of 559
03 February 2013 at 9:22am | IP Logged 
Well, Mexico is not happening. I had already started research but it turned out I was misinformed. What a stupid situation.

Yesterday I bought a 6 month subscription to HaruKorean. I was quite disappointed when I realized that you can't see the sentence corrections unless you post your own sentence for the same lesson. But actually it's not a big deal, I should be writing a lot. I haven't started yet though.

I've become bored with the Subways transcript so I worked on Iyagi #15 yesterday, it's about first impressions (첫인상). I decided it doesn't really matter which transcript I'm reading as long as I learn something new. I've also decided to have a more relaxed attitude towards sentences where I can't figure out the grammar. After all, it's to be expected that there are still many constructions I'm not familiar with. I'm using the Iyagi lessons to improve my reading skills, my listening skills, my vocabulary, and the recognition of grammar patterns I should know. My plan to learn more grammar relies heavily on getting the Korean Grammar in Use books in two months' time. Until then I'm focusing on other things.

The February TAC team challenge is to learn the lyrics of a song. I want to learn 그여자, the song I mentioned before, but I'm not sure I can sing it well. Maybe I'll pick a different song for singing. Singing is not a requirement, I know, but I kind of want to do it because it should be at least better than my last recording. My voice is not strong but I can hold a tune quite well.

On a slightly different subject, Korean dramas is starting to become my main source of TV entertainment, they're slowly replacing American TV shows. I am being very careful with my drama selection though because I know that if I get hooked on one I'll neglect sleep and actual studying. So lately I've been just rewatching something if I need a drama fix, or watching a bit of Rooftop Prince. I still don't like it particularly so I'm not getting hooked on it. But yesterday I finally caved to my desire for a new drama and downloaded the first few episodes of Baker King. I've heard it was very popular and I've also heard it's a makjang and therefore not very believable. So I'm curious.

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5317 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Korean, Japanese

Message 365 of 559
04 February 2013 at 12:24am | IP Logged 
Evita wrote:
I forgot to tell you about the hard work/detective work that sometimes is involved in trying to find a particular foreign word. For example, yesterday I was rewatching a bit of SG and I noticed - again - the word "pikyo" which was translated as "move". I wanted to add it to Anki so I tried to find it in the Naver dictionary (searching for "move") but I didn't have any luck. Then I tried my paper dictionary and scanned the words that started with "pik" and again I had no luck. Then I remembered I have the transcripts for SG episodes, the only problem was to find the exact place that I needed. Hmm. Then I remembered that the word "family" had been mentioned in the dialogue recently and I knew 가족 so I searched the document for that and finally I found it. 비켜! Then of course I was mad at myself for missing this word in my dictionary. I had checked all 3 different p's but didn't think to check all 3 different k's.

I've done plenty of the same with Korean, scouring to finally track down a word. Sometimes finding the answer you seek simply doesn't happen, though. Then months later you come across that scene again and it is blatantly obvious why you couldn't find the word before (cute and/or incorrect pronunciation of a word you now know well, on-screen misspelling, etc.).

비키다 (to yield, make way for, move (out of the way)) is used quite frequently for "get out of my way" type phrasings in Korean. It is also often followed by the verb 주다 (normally "to give", but when used after another verb it implies doing something for someone else's benefit), making it 비켜줘 (in banmal form, anyway).

Evita
Tetraglot
Latvia
learnlatvian.info
Joined 6334 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 

Message 366 of 559
04 February 2013 at 9:49am | IP Logged 
It's so great to have a Finnish resource I enjoy. I was listening to radio Sun during the weekend and I heard a song I had already heard before, the lyrics included "kaunis ihminen" and "yksinkertainen". I searched the internet for 10 minutes trying to hunt down the full lyrics but I wasn't able to.

As for Korean, I mainly worked with Anki and listened to old TTMIK level 1 lessons to cut out some sentences. I'm already up to lesson 1x19 which introduced the word 언제. It seems so long ago now. Another reason why I wanted to go through the old lessons again is to make sure that I really know everything they're talking about, just to reassure myself. So far it's working out well.

I opened the My Korean 2 textbook for the first time, and guess what? It starts with chapter 11! Ugh. It means the first book was just the first half and I can't count it as a finished book. Okay, never mind, it doesn't really matter. I looked through the table of contents and it seems to cover a lot more grammar than the first book which just introduced the basic tenses and some other endings but really focused more on vocabulary and numbers and various situations.

I also listened to TTMIK lesson 6x21 which introduced the passive voice. That's another huge thing to master. I still haven't really learned all the -다고 and -라고 expressions.

As for Baker King, I haven't gotten through the first episode yet even though I tried twice. It was so boring without any redeeming qualities like pretty people to look at. The old fashion didn't help either. But I'll try to suffer through several more episodes because I'm really curious why it became such a hit.

Remember how I said I'm bad with Korean faces? Well, it turns out it's not so bad, I can recognize some of them very well. For example, I recognized 김소현 instantly in BK even though I had only seen her in two episodes of I Miss You before and she looked much older there.

alexheaton
United Kingdom
Joined 4234 days ago

12 posts - 13 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: French, Spanish, Dutch, Norwegian, Finnish, German, Italian

Message 367 of 559
04 February 2013 at 12:58pm | IP Logged 
I don't suppose the song was "Yksinkertainen" by Apulanta? I doubt it but it's the only song I've heard with that word. :D Thank you for mentioning radio Sun! I'm listening to it right now!

Evita
Tetraglot
Latvia
learnlatvian.info
Joined 6334 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 

Message 368 of 559
05 February 2013 at 10:12am | IP Logged 
It's not that song but it's nice that you're listening to radio Sun too. If you keep listening I'm sure you'll hear that song, I've only listened to maybe 3-4 hours total and I've already heard it twice.

Now, about HaruKorean. I've had to work with my mindset for a while in order to be able to use it. On the surface it seems easy - you write a sentence and you get it corrected within 24 hours. The problem is that I don't like being corrected. I'm usually aware when I don't know something (be it about a foreign language, about my work or anything else) and my preferred option is to find out the missing information before I do it or not do it at all. I imagine a lot of people feel like this. This is also one of the reasons I always prefer to build up my passive knowledge of a language before I start using it actively; I don't like making mistakes even when I know it's totally understandable.

If I want to use HK I need to let go of this mindset and write sentences that have a great likelihood of being corrected, otherwise there's no point in it, is there? Well, I'm happy to say I wrote my first sentence yesterday and got my first correction. My sentence was "남동생 대신에 여동생이 있고 싶어요." and I was aware the last part was probably not correct but I wanted to know how to say it correctly so I wrote it anyway. I'm paying for the corrections after all. Here's the response I got:

남동생 대신에 여동생이 있으면 좋겠어요. and 남동생 대신에 여동생을 갖고 싶어요.

It's great, isn't it? I can learn so much this way, and the number of sentences I can write is unlimited, not to mention looking at all the other corrections for sentences in the same lesson. I'm setting my goal for at least 15 sentences a week. Let's see how it goes.

The only annoying thing about HK is that the website is quote slow, often I have to wait more than 5 seconds for a page to open. Oh well, nothing's perfect, right?

This discussion contains 559 messages over 70 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version