kujichagulia
Japan
Joined 4632 days ago

1031 posts - 1571 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Portuguese

Message 425 of 559
03 May 2013 at 12:45am | IP Logged 
Ah, sometimes I wish I had a smartphone, or at least a Wi-Fi connection for my Android Walkman, so I could listen to radio stations in multiple languages during my commutes.

But then again, my train time is the time I study the most, so maybe that's a bad idea.
1 person has voted this message useful

Evita
Tetraglot
Latvia
learnlatvian.info
Joined 6337 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 
Speaks: Latvian*, English, German, Russian
Studies: Korean, Finnish

Message 426 of 559
07 May 2013 at 11:46am | IP Logged 
I was initially concerned that listening to the radio on the phone over the internet would be too much traffic for my data plan but fortunately that's not the case. I pay 5 lats a month (that's about 9-10 dollars) for 2 GB and it's more than enough, I usually don't even go over 1 GB. I've even started occasionally listening to the radio through my phone while at work (because my company blocks all streaming internet sites).

I had a long weekend (yesterday was a bank holiday) and I took a bit of a break from languages. Now that the weather is finally getting a bit warmer I'll probably spend more time outside and less inside studying. I have a small Anki backlog but I should get rid of it by today or tomorrow.

I keep going through Korean Grammar in Use as I add its sentences to Anki. I don't add all of them, just the ones I think will be useful. I think I've finished maybe 15 chapters. It's hard to remember the exact number because I don't do them in order since it's more like a reference book. So I mix the topics as I see fit. I probably won't make my original June deadline to finish the book but that's fine, I hadn't taken into account the adding sentences to Anki aspect.

I've started a new habit. Just before going to bed, I open the book to a random page and read one sentence and try to memorize or learn it. I'm trying to get exposure to new grammar constructions this way. The beginner book doesn't have many unfamiliar constructions left though so sometimes I pick up the intermediate book.

I think it was last Thursday or Friday when I went through the last 4 lessons of Click Korean that I hadn't done yet. To be more precise, I didn't exactly study the lessons, just went over the grammar to see if there was anything I didn't know. There wasn't, of course. Now I will go through the second My Korean book. I've barely started it but I think it shouldn't present much difficulty to me now. I also found some other textbooks on the internet and I think I'll try one of them next. For some reason I'm feeling like studying from textbooks is what I want this moment.

I'm still watching LSS. I didn't write anything last week about episodes 15-16 because they were frustrating, to be honest. One key phone conversation (the one where Miryeong called the director to remove Soonshin from the audition list) wasn't shown to us so I didn't know about it and without it not much else of the storyline made sense.

This week I haven't seen episode 18 yet but episode 17 wasn't nearly as frustrating. I could catch the key words in almost every scene so I had some idea of what was going on. The only times I was left in the dark was when the oldest sister had the conversation with her former mother-in-law (what did she want from her?) and at the very end when I didn't understand what 연아 was saying. I'm guessing it was some kind of "let's get back together" speech but it's just a guess.

druckfehler
Triglot
Germany
Joined 4653 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Korean
Studies: Persian

Message 427 of 559
07 May 2013 at 2:19pm | IP Logged 
To be honest, I didn't really understand the mother-in-law either. She was reproaching Hye-Shin that she got divorced and told her she should think more realistically/practically. Then she told Hye-Shin that she was against her son marrying her right from the start. I think there was something about money Hye-Shin should pay her (back)? But that doesn't make any sense to me in the context, so who knows what really is the issue... I'll just have to wait for dramabeans' recap to understand it.

Yeon-Ah asked Jun-Ho to stop the bet, because she is willing to be managed by his office even without the bet. Jun-Ho is confused at that and thinks she's trying to play games with him or something and leaves.

Edited by druckfehler on 07 May 2013 at 3:21pm

Evita
Tetraglot
Latvia
learnlatvian.info
Joined 6337 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 

Message 428 of 559
10 May 2013 at 10:54am | IP Logged 
I'm getting the urge to find another drama that I really love and can rewatch endlessly. LSS is too long and too slow for that. Right now only two dramas fit this category for me - Coffee Prince and Secret Garden. In order to be "endlessly rewatchable", they need to be pretty light (not like Nice Guy) and modern (historical dramas are not that good for my Korean learning needs currently. I'll get to them later.). I wanted to try The Queen of Workplace but it only has subtitles for up to episode 4. I don't know what's up with that. It's another reason why I can't wait to understand dramas without subtitles, it's a pain hunting for them. Well, I'll keep looking; I'm sure my next favorite drama is just around the corner.

My Anki backlog is gone. The number of cards in my vocabulary deck is 1832 so my vocabulary goals are well on track. What I need now is to start reading a bit more in order to see how these words are used in sentences. Reading is going to be the next month's challenge so I'm looking forward to that.

This month's challenge is to learn 10 new grammar constructions and write 5 example sentences for each. I think I'll post the sentences here as I write them and then copy them all to the team log at the end of the month.

My Anki sentence deck has almost 500 cards now so I'll be publishing it soon. I think I have reviewed TTMIK level 2 for the last time. When I think about it, level 2 was the hardest one of them all for me so it's encouraging to realize that I know it very well now.

I haven't done much Finnish studying recently but I keep listening to radio Sun. It helps that the stream of this station is much more reliable than streams of the Korean radio stations. I've heard some ads more than 10 or 20 times, I really should record them and try to transcribe them but I haven't gotten around to it yet.

Evita
Tetraglot
Latvia
learnlatvian.info
Joined 6337 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 

Message 429 of 559
12 May 2013 at 10:27pm | IP Logged 
I finally published that Korean sentence deck I was making. It's available here. I spent a couple of hours this morning modifying the CSS code for the field layout and trying out filtered decks. This was also the first time I actually studied this deck but that was just to try it out, I haven't figured out the best studying strategy for me yet and whether I need to study the first two levels at all. For now I will just keep adding new cards.

My vocabulary deck, by the way, has almost 500 downloads since last November and two 5-star ratings. Having this deck public has given me additional motivation to work on my vocabulary and keep the deck nice and clean so it's a win-win situation for me and the Korean learning community.

I haven't written any sentences for this month's challenge yet. I kind of wanted to but it's amazingly difficult for me to sit down and actually write something. I'm too used to passive learning.

By the way, today I added the Korean word for 'translation' to my Anki deck. I can't believe I didn't come across it sooner.

I've also done the usual random bits of studying, the new Iyagi lesson about losing things. TTMIK hadn't published a new Iyagi podcast for I don't know, two months maybe? I was already starting to think they had abandoned the series but fortunately not. I could just as well study the older lessons, of course, I'm pretty sure a hundred would be more than enough but it's just nicer studying from new stuff.
2 persons have voted this message useful

druckfehler
Triglot
Germany
Joined 4653 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Korean
Studies: Persian

Message 430 of 559
12 May 2013 at 11:29pm | IP Logged 
Congrats on publishing your sentence deck and having so many people download your vocab deck!

Regarding the challenge, maybe you could try with the TTMIK sentence drill lessons. They seem pretty useful for activating passive knowledge of sentence structures. Also, I'd suggest trying to make the more basic grammar patterns active which I'm sure you know well passively already. Stuff like "I have to..." (어/아야 하다), "I can..." (ㄹ 수 있다), if-sentences with (으)면... and 으면... 되다 sentences are patterns that will be very useful, for example. Good luck! I used to have a hard time writing up until maybe half a year ago, so I'd like to encourage you just to experiment with the language instead of aiming for perfect sentences. You can always get corrections here or at lang-8.

kujichagulia
Japan
Joined 4632 days ago

1031 posts - 1571 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Portuguese

Message 431 of 559
13 May 2013 at 3:56am | IP Logged 
Congratulations!

Evita
Tetraglot
Latvia
learnlatvian.info
Joined 6337 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 

Message 432 of 559
13 May 2013 at 11:26pm | IP Logged 
Speaking of the TTMIK sentence drill lessons, I had actually never studied sentences this way before and I can't say I particularly like it but the lessons are very useful, of course, because more sample sentences is always better. For the team challenge, I should write sentences on Haru Korean so that my subscription fee is not wasted. I'll pick some lessons that have grammar topics I have trouble with.

I saw that Haksaeng mentioned my listening method in her log and I was reminded of that TTMIK level 1 test I took last summer and failed so miserably. It's only after that that I started paying so much attention to listening. So on one hand this test helped me but on the other hand I'm still mad at TTMIK for thinking that people should be able to understand the dialogue after doing level 1. They were obviously wrong.

Well, let's see what I did today. I listened to radio Sun on my way to work (that's some 30-40 minutes), then did the Anki reviews during breaks from work, then listened to a bit more Finnish radio on the way back, then I got bored and put on a Korean radio but it stopped every 20 seconds so I put on my Iyagi playlist. I would listen attentively for 20 seconds maybe and then listen only passively for a while and so all the time. When I got home, I studied Iyagi #36 for a while (I have the translation for it). I also continued my Anki reviews and I repeated a couple level 5 TTMIK lessons and I added lesson 3x08 to my sentence deck. I had planned to study some Finnish as well but I didn't find the time for that.

This discussion contains 559 messages over 70 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version