Latvia
learnlatvian.info
Joined 6334 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 
Speaks: Latvian*, English, German, Russian
Studies: Korean, Finnish

Message 433 of 559
16 May 2013 at 9:37am | IP Logged 
I finally wrote my first sentences for this month's challenge. It's about the usage of -겠- to make requests more polite. -겠- has more usages as well, my grammar book has expressions with this suffix in several chapters. I'm going to study them all and write sentences with them all so that I finally have a good grasp on it. So here are the sentences, corrected on Haru Korean:

1) 언제 만나시겠습니까? - When would you like to meet?
2) 일어나서 아침 드시겠습니까? - Would you like some breakfast now that you woke up?
3) 빵 좀 사 주시겠어요? - Would you buy some bread for me please?
4) 불 좀 꺼 주시겠어요? - Would you turn off the light please?

Almost all of my sentences were correct, the only mistake I made was using 빛 in the last sentence. I'm particularly proud of the second sentence because the -서 connector was giving me headaches for a long time but now I think I'm getting better at recognizing how it should be used.

Now about Finnish. I am determined (once again) to study more grammar. Suomea Suomeksi is a good resource and I reviewed chapter 4 on Tuesday. Even though it was pretty short and the main grammar point was one I know pretty well (the making of plural), it still required a lot of effort from me because there were many dialogues and I analyzed every word in every sentence to make sure I knew which case it was in and why, and this kind of active studying is hard to do at night after work. This intensive studying that Finnish requires (and Korean doesn't) is one of the reasons I haven't studied Finnish grammar much recently but now I've decided to make one more go at it. We'll see how long it lasts. I hope to get at least halfway through Suomea Suomeksi. Finishing it would be ideal.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Evita
Tetraglot
Latvia
learnlatvian.info
Joined 6334 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 

Message 434 of 559
17 May 2013 at 9:57am | IP Logged 
I haven't had much time for studying this week but I've been more organized and determined than normally (and thus procrastinating less) so I did get something done yesterday. I reviewed lesson 5 from my Finnish textbook. It didn't take much, maybe 20 minutes in total.

I also wrote the next batch of my Korean sentences. Here they are corrected:

5) 시크릿가든은 진짜 재미있는 드라마니까 보라고 했어요. - I told them to watch 'Secret Garden' because it's a great drama.
6) 사진을 찍지 말라고 했어요. - They told me not to take any pictures.
7) 10분만 더 기다리라고 했는데 아직 안 왔어요. - She told me to wait for 10 more minutes but she still hasn't come.
8) 선생님께서 나한테 주신 책을 오늘까지 읽으라고 하셨어요. - My teacher told me to read the book that she gave me by today.

The first three sentences were pretty much correct but I forgot to use the honorifics in the last one. But what I am the most happy about is that I chose the correct constructions for "because" in the first sentence and "but" in the third sentence. This is where my listening and drama watching is paying off, I'm already starting to get a feel for the active usage of Korean. It's exciting.

Evita
Tetraglot
Latvia
learnlatvian.info
Joined 6334 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 

Message 435 of 559
18 May 2013 at 9:08am | IP Logged 
I studied a bit of lesson 6 of my Finnish textbook yesterday and I added some sentences to my Korean sentence deck. Didn't write anything for the challenge.

I also watched episode 19 of LSS. I don't want to watch each episode twice at the moment so I'm just waiting for subtitles to come out before I watch it. If the story gets so interesting again that I can't wait for subtitles then I'll probably watch the episodes twice again.

Anyway, I have a four year old niece who I look after sometimes. Yesterday she was here and we watched LSS together. She didn't understand anything obviously but she watched it with me for more than half an hour before she went off to do something else. She likes to identify with characters in movies and since there's a little girl in LSS she said right away "That's me!" Hehe. I plan to feed her as much Korean stuff as I can. You never know, she might grow to love the language (or at least the dramas) as much as I do.
1 person has voted this message useful

Evita
Tetraglot
Latvia
learnlatvian.info
Joined 6334 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 

Message 436 of 559
19 May 2013 at 9:49am | IP Logged 
Well, what do you know. I watched episode 20 of LSS yesterday (with subtitles) and then I went on to watch the new episode without subtitles. Seems like finally things are moving forward again. Yay!

I also spent some time yesterday working on my sentence deck. It's useful review and typing practice. I also wrote one sentence that needed no corrections:

9) 자전거를 탈 줄 모를 리가 없어요. - It's impossible that he doesn't know how to ride a bike.

It took me a while to figure out how these two constructions should be combined, all those 'ㄹ's seem a bit much. The fact that I did it correctly tells me I understand the logic behind Korean grammar quite well but the fact that it took me more than 5 minutes to write this sentence tells me I need to practice more.

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5317 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Korean, Japanese

Message 437 of 559
19 May 2013 at 4:17pm | IP Logged 
Evita wrote:

4) 불 좀 꺼 주시겠어요? - Would you turn off the light please?

Almost all of my sentences were correct, the only mistake I made was using 빛 in the last sentence.

I've always found it somewhat humorous that Korean phrases the act of "turning off the light" as something that more literally means "extinguishing the fire" instead.

Evita
Tetraglot
Latvia
learnlatvian.info
Joined 6334 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 

Message 438 of 559
20 May 2013 at 11:03am | IP Logged 
I've noticed that it's easier for me to do the Anki reviews on working days instead of the weekend even though I theoretically have more time for studying on weekends. I think it's because my working days are more structured and I know I'll be tired in the evening so I try to get in as many reviews as I can during the day. On weekends I think I have all the time in the world and then I get distracted with something else, or sometimes I go away somewhere, and it's difficult to concentrate on the reviews. The same thing happened to me yesterday and I reviewed less than half the cards. Oh well. I'll catch up, no worries.

My daily Anki routine has always included looking for new words to add to my deck and it sometimes takes a lot of time. With my focus on building vocabulary, my goal has been to add about 200 new words a month. I've been pretty close to it but it's not easy to find the words because I don't consume native materials yet and I don't want to add every obscure word I come across because many other people are studying this deck as well. I want to add the more common words first.

What I wanted to say with the previous paragraph is that working with my vocabulary deck takes a lot of time and effort every day and I'm getting tired of it so I will stop looking for new words actively for a while. Maybe a week. It will reduce my review count a little and give me more time to spend on grammar. I can't keep doing it for too long though otherwise it will have a negative impact on my vocabulary goals.

A while ago I wrote about starting to look at some hanja. I've been thinking how to go about it and in the end I decided to just make a list of them in a spreadsheet. I didn't want to make an Anki deck because I'm not studying them seriously, I just want to get my feet wet, so to say. My goal for this year is to learn 100 Chinese characters. I added the first four yesterday. I got them from "A Guide to Korean Characters" which I found on scribd.com. Too bad I can't download it. Anyway, this book orders the characters by stroke count but I kind of wanted to start with the radicals, I know they're important and I know I can find them on the internet. Actually the most useful approach would be to learn the hanja for words I have trouble memorizing, like 칭찬. This word has 34 reviews, 5 lapses and the ease of 130%. I think 130% is the lowest number Anki permits, otherwise the ease would be even lower. But when I see hanja like 稱讚 I start to change my mind, they seem so complicated I wouldn't even know where to start.

Edited by Evita on 20 May 2013 at 11:12am

Haksaeng
Korea, South
Joined 5980 days ago

166 posts - 250 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Korean, Arabic (Levantine)

Message 439 of 559
20 May 2013 at 2:30pm | IP Logged 
저도 마찬가지예요. I forget that one too. In fact I had to look it up again just now. Then as soon as I start thinking about 칭찬, I discover that I can't remember the words for "recommendation" (추천하다) and "ceiling" (천장) because they're all too similar. All the ㅊ and ㅈ words drive me nuts. There are so many of them.

Mareike
Germany
Joined 6006 days ago

267 posts - 323 votes 
Speaks: German*
Studies: English, Swedish

Message 440 of 559
20 May 2013 at 5:15pm | IP Logged 
Same for me, I do a lot more when I'm working. I tried to write plans what I want to do on my free days. And it failed, I reschedule the plan every hour. Now I tend to go to sport on this days or meeting with friends. This small appointments are enough to have a glimpse of a structure day.

This discussion contains 559 messages over 70 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version