Latvia
learnlatvian.info
Joined 6339 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 
Speaks: Latvian*, English, German, Russian
Studies: Korean, Finnish

Message 465 of 559
25 June 2013 at 10:16am | IP Logged 
I'm thinking that I should forget my goals for Korean for the next two months and enjoy summer and just relax more. I've been studying a lot and I feel like I deserve a break. I hate that I would fall behind on my vocabulary goals but I'll try to get over it. I will still do Anki, just at a slower pace, maybe 100 new words a month instead of 200.

On a related note, I've found my new crack drama - it's My Daughter Seo Young. It's been on my list for a while but I knew it was long so I was a bit reluctant to start it. It's much better than LSS - it's more unpredictable, the plot moves faster and I like the main heroine much better. Soon Shin from LSS frustrates me often, she doesn't do anything on her own, she just listens to what other people tell her. Seo Young is quite different. So yeah, I was watching MDSY until 3 am yesterday even though I have to work today. I'm hooked.
1 person has voted this message useful

Evita
Tetraglot
Latvia
learnlatvian.info
Joined 6339 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 

Message 466 of 559
26 June 2013 at 10:33am | IP Logged 
Here's something I forgot to write yesterday. I was reading some bits of drama scripts last week (Secret Garden and I Hear Your Voice) and I noticed the word '예뻐요' spelled as '이뻐요' repeatedly in the SG script. I haven't seen it spelled like that anywhere else, why would they do that here? I hate bad spelling in all languages.

As for MDSY, I'm in episode 10 and the main characters are already preparing for marriage. That's, like, lightning fast in a drama with 50 episodes total. But there's a lie involved and I've seen some pretty unmistakeable clues that a three year fast-forward is coming up so I'm guessing the marriage won't take place because the lie will be exposed and there'll be some pretty bad fallout from that. Then, 3 years later, the main characters will meet again. But there are still 40 episodes left so I'm curious what new conflicts will develop. I've heard this drama was pretty good until the very end.

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5322 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Korean, Japanese

Message 467 of 559
27 June 2013 at 4:04am | IP Logged 
Evita wrote:
Here's something I forgot to write yesterday. I was reading some bits of drama scripts last week (Secret Garden and I Hear Your Voice) and I noticed the word '예뻐요' spelled as '이뻐요' repeatedly in the SG script. I haven't seen it spelled like that anywhere else, why would they do that here? I hate bad spelling in all languages.

It's not just spelling; you'll frequently hear it pronounced that way as well. If you haven't noticed it much yet, trust me you will. From what I've seen it seems heavily biased toward usage by younger Koreans, so I'm assuming it is a relatively new variant, but it's definitely more than a simple misspelling regardless.

Evita
Tetraglot
Latvia
learnlatvian.info
Joined 6339 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 

Message 468 of 559
27 June 2013 at 9:18am | IP Logged 
I know it's not just a simple misspelling, it was done on purpose and that's why I don't like it. If you want to pronounce it in a cute way, be my guest, but don't change the spelling! Argh.

I wasn't planned on posting today since I didn't do any studying yesterday (apart from Anki) but since I'm writing this post I may as well mention that the main characters on MDSY did get married before the 3 year jump and apparently they've been living happily together all this time (with the lie still unexposed). How disappointing. The episodes after the time jump have been more boring. But never mind, I'm watching anyway and waiting for Seo Young's two worlds to collide. I hope it doesn't take too long, I'm very impatient.

My mind is so filled with Korean these days (because of the drama) that I don't listen to Finnish or German radio. I don't want to distract my brain.

kujichagulia
Japan
Joined 4634 days ago

1031 posts - 1571 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Portuguese

Message 469 of 559
27 June 2013 at 10:36am | IP Logged 
Wow, must be a great drama!

Evita
Tetraglot
Latvia
learnlatvian.info
Joined 6339 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 

Message 470 of 559
27 June 2013 at 11:50am | IP Logged 
I would call it good, not great (yet). These long dramas (50 episodes) are always family dramas and they always have a big cast of characters so the two leads get less screen time compared to other dramas. Given this fact, I was pleasantly surprised by how fast their relationship was developing but I really didn't expect them to get married by the end of episode 10. Now the episodes seem more boring because they are dragging out the reveal of the secret. Seo Young told her husband and his family that her father had died even though he is still alive. She did it because her father wasn't a good father (even though he had good intentions) and always left debts behind. She told her father she was going to the U.S. to study but instead she got married. And her father was present at the wedding because of a coincidence and so he realized Seo Young had been lying. Of course, it's pretty unbelievable how everyone shows up at exactly the right moment but that's how dramas go. Anyway, her father left the wedding before anyone could recognize him and he decided he was happy for Seo Young because her husband comes from a rich family and is a good man.

Seo Young also has a brother whom she was close to until she decided to pretend she had no father. Her brother thought it was totally wrong and basically said "don't ever contact me again unless you decide to reveal everything about dad". So Seo Young has also been lying to her husband that her brother went overseas and that she lost contact with him. Well, the last part is sort of true.

So now it's 3 years later and Seo Young's brother has started dating her husband's sister, only none of them know about the connection because lying about one's family seems the theme for this series. And then Seo Young's husband accidentally meets her dad, not knowing who he is, of course. The writers are setting up all kinds of tangled relationships and even though it's sometimes not very exciting I keep watching because they keep dangling the 'secrets will be out' bone in front of me.

Evita
Tetraglot
Latvia
learnlatvian.info
Joined 6339 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 

Message 471 of 559
29 June 2013 at 12:20pm | IP Logged 
The downside of watching MDSY now is that I can't watch the new episodes of Voice because both dramas have the same actress as the lead. It's a bummer. The upside though is that it's not as addictive as shorter dramas so I found some time for studying yesterday. I listened to Iyagi 50 (Milk) and then tried intensive reading. I read as far as the first long paragraph where Kyoungeun explains how she doesn't like milk and secretly threw it away in school and I encountered only one word that I didn't know - 억지로 (against one's will). But I was reading it on the TTMIK site without the English translation available and there were quite a few sentences I couldn't figure out even after spending some time trying to decipher them. This confirms two things that I already knew. One - I should start reading more. Two - the Iyagi lessons are not the best reading material. I was hoping druckfehler would post some links for our TAC team's June challenge but it looks like she has forgotten all about it so my reading sources will be drama transcripts for now. I will not be reading them intensively, just scanning through them to see how the grammar constructions are used and to pick up some new vocabulary. The long weekend family dramas like LSS and MDSY would be best suited for this purpose but unfortunately I haven't managed to find the scripts for either one of them so I'm making do with Voice.

My Anki is still going well. I said I would reduce the number of new words but I haven't done it yet. I'll probably do it later. But speaking of Anki, all my time-related statistics have been screwed up. Argh! It was Ankidroid who did it. I'm not sure precisely how it happened but yesterday I must have allowed the screen to go dark while a review was in progress. I didn't think anything of it but later I noticed that the "estimated time" was something like minus several billion minutes. Oh well. I could get a backup if the statistics were really important to me but they're not so I'll just live with it.

But here is the best news. My shared sentence deck already has 5 ratings and two reviews even though it doesn't even have 200 downloads yet. It must mean that people think it's really good, and it's so great because unlike my vocabulary deck, the sentence deck was created primarily with other people in mind so it's great to see that my hard work is being appreciated. Also, it gives me more motivation to make my decks even bigger and better, and that means also more motivation to study.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Evita
Tetraglot
Latvia
learnlatvian.info
Joined 6339 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 

Message 472 of 559
01 July 2013 at 10:35am | IP Logged 
I'm starting to get increasingly frustrated with MDSY. Why can't people communicate openly and honestly? It's ridiculous. The husband found out that his wife's father is alive but he's not confronting her, just punishing her with his behavior. Seo Yeong's brother found out his girlfriend's connection to his sister and broke up with her in order to keep his sister's secret. What kind of stupid logic is that? He didn't tell his girlfriend the real reason why he wanted to break up, of course, and the girlfriend couldn't let him go, and eventually found out about the connection as well. Then she promised to keep the secret although Seo Yeong's brother was already preparing to marry a different girl. They're doing it for the sake of Seo Yeong's marriage, not knowing that her husband has already found out. Everyone is keeping secrets and destroying their lives. It's not fun to watch, and there are still almost 20 episodes left.

Drama watching aside, I also did some work on my sentence deck. When I got my Korean grammar books, I set my goal to finish the first book by the end of June. Then I realized the most convenient method for me is to study the lessons as I add the sentences to Anki. So far I've covered about one third of the lessons. Yesterday I studied a new grammar point for me, -고 나서.

This discussion contains 559 messages over 70 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version