Latvia
learnlatvian.info
Joined 6339 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 
Speaks: Latvian*, English, German, Russian
Studies: Korean, Finnish

Message 505 of 559
16 September 2013 at 1:17pm | IP Logged 
Have you seen this video? It compares the department store owners from Secret Garden and Master's Sun. Too bad it's without subtitles, I can understand very little but the idea itself is awesome.

A couple of months ago I wrote about one song that I tried to look up on the internet but couldn't remember enough lyrics and in the end I didn't find it. Well, after waiting for a long time I finally heard this song again, managed to record a part of it and then look it up. It's 4N - 겁쟁이. The only problem is that I can't find the full song anywhere, not even to listen to without downloading, not even on youtube. What a disappointment.

I've started lesson 11 on my textbook but I'm not very far yet. On the plus side, Anki is going fine and I just learned a new grammar construction yesterday - ㄹ 텐데. I don't know how I managed to avoid it this long. True, it's not in the TTMIK lessons but I've heard it tons of times in various dramas. Now that I finally looked it up (and 테니까 as well) I'll pay attention when I hear it to see how it's translated into English. Actually that's what I do for most of the new grammar points that I learn.
1 person has voted this message useful

Evita
Tetraglot
Latvia
learnlatvian.info
Joined 6339 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 

Message 506 of 559
17 September 2013 at 9:31am | IP Logged 
Yesterday I listened to several TTMIK Iyagi podcasts from the 21-30 pack. The one about blind dates was the easiest one, I definitely understood more than half of it, maybe even more than 70%. Sure, I had listened to it before but the main reason I could understand so much was that I was familiar with the vocabulary since dating and talking about the opposite sex appears quite often in dramas, as you can imagine. As for the other podcasts, I couldn't understand them as well as this one but I could still see a major improvement compared to the last time I listened to them some months ago. It's nice to see my progress like that. I think my goal of understanding 80% of their podcasts by the next March is quite achievable.

I saw yuhakko mention positive.co.kr in his log and I checked it out. I tried reading this article but it seems too difficult for me. For now, if I want to read something in Korean I should stick to stuff that has an English translation available.

druckfehler
Triglot
Germany
Joined 4655 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Korean
Studies: Persian

Message 507 of 559
17 September 2013 at 11:06am | IP Logged 
Thanks to dramas, I also developed a very good grasp on dating and relationship vocabulary early on. I was always happy in Korea when this topic was discussed, because it was much easier to understand and participate in :D

There is a bunch of vocabulary that is frequently used in the Iyagi lessons, so if you mine a couple of those, I'm sure understanding 80% won't be a huge step from where you are now. Great to see how much you have improved since your first Iyagi lesson ;)

Evita
Tetraglot
Latvia
learnlatvian.info
Joined 6339 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 

Message 508 of 559
17 September 2013 at 5:09pm | IP Logged 
Thanks, Renate! And yes, mining the Iyagi lessons for vocabulary is a good idea, I tried it just yesterday but somehow reading the transcript became boring very quickly (after I finished reading the first page) so then I tried to scan the next page for unfamiliar vocabulary but my Korean reading skills are not quite good enough for that yet. And my approach has always been "keep it fun, don't do boring stuff" so I didn't force myself to continue. To tell you the truth, most of the time I spend on Korean it doesn't feel like studying (with the exception of Anki reviews). Listening to any audio in Korean doesn't feel like studying because I'm just listening. Watching dramas feels even less like studying. Even reading the transcripts doesn't feel like studying because I'm actually curious to read them. (If I'm not, I don't read them.) And the textbook, well, it's so far below my level that I can't call it serious studying. The only other exception, besides Anki, might be when I open my intermediate Korean Grammar book (which I do several times a week to study something randomly for 5-10 minutes).

My point is that I'm happy with my progress considering the amount (or the lack) of effort I put in. No doubt I could progress faster if I studied more seriously but I don't want to force it. As we've said before, enjoying it is the main thing. I was watching GD yesterday and you know there was that scene where Yoon Seo and Si On talked about his confession. I didn't get a lot of it at first but then I listened again and paused to think about the sentences and in the end I think I understood more than 70% of that conversation. It felt like such a victory.

Speaking of Anki, I had forgotten how doing the reviews during winter was more difficult because of cold hands/gloves when I'm outside (can't do it with gloves). This week started off really cold so I suddenly remembered that. Hmm.

Evita
Tetraglot
Latvia
learnlatvian.info
Joined 6339 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 

Message 509 of 559
23 September 2013 at 12:02pm | IP Logged 
I've been studying Korean for a year and a half now. It's hard to believe it's been so long already, time certainly flies. Well, to summarize the last 6 months - my biggest emphasis was on acquiring vocabulary. Anki can be a pain but it's also very effective and it works for me. I think I had about 1500 words in March, now I have around 2500, and I want to have around 3500 words by next March. Then I will slow down (perhaps) and start to learn how to actually use them in sentences.

I've done a lot of listening as well. Talk radio, music radio, TTMIK lessons (mostly Iyagi), and dramas, I think all together it's been at least 2 hours a day on average. I can still understand almost nothing when I listen to the news but the other sources are easier.

For a while I systematically reviewed elementary grammar by creating my sentence deck. It was very useful and now I have this grammar mastered well enough to use it actively. I haven't tried it much though. As for intermediate grammar, I've made some headway but not a lot because I'm not following any textbook, just using the higher TTMIK levels and my grammar book, and not doing it regularly, only when I feel like it.

As for reading, I've done some of it - drama transcripts and Iyagi transcripts. I've never finished a single one though. Usually I just read until I get tired or bored or until I have added many new words to Anki. Then, when I need new vocabulary for Anki again, I read some more (or use other sources of vocabulary like word lists or other shared Anki decks). Last week was an exception though - I read an article on news.nate.com about episode 14 of GD. I found the link somewhere on dramabeans and I decided to try reading my first real article in Korean since I had seen the episode and new what it was about. It was mostly a success and I added many new words to Anki, like 다정하다, 활짝, 껴안다, 흘리다, 물러서다, 소박하다, 배려 and others. The problem right now is that I have 50 new words in Anki already and it will take me at least a week to go through all of them. It's not precisely bad but I don't like waiting so long to study words that I have already added. Looks like there's no solution for that though, increasing the daily limit would lead to more reviews than I can handle.

My active production of Korean has been limited to a few sentences on Haru Korean now and then. As for speaking, I haven't practiced it at all except for the occasional shadowing when I hear a phrase I like in a drama and I repeat it to myself. I don't think this will change anytime soon and I'm fine with that. I do want to go to the university and meet the new professor who is teaching the new Korean class. Maybe if he's a nice guy I can practice with him now and then, or maybe I can get acquainted with some of the students at least. But it's difficult to visit the uni because of work.

Evita
Tetraglot
Latvia
learnlatvian.info
Joined 6339 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 

Message 510 of 559
26 September 2013 at 10:15am | IP Logged 
It was 5C degrees this morning, I didn't expect it to get so cold this soon. No more Anki while walking outside, that's a shame. Still, I'm feeling the desire to learn more new words even if I have to do more reviews so I increased the daily new word limit to 8. I think I can handle it for a couple of weeks at least.

I listened to TTMIK lesson 8x5 for the first time today, it's their first lesson in the "Advanced Situational Expressions" series. It was about how to refuse or decline something. I had heard all the expressions in dramas already but it was nice to get a detailed explanation about what they all mean and how they are different. I was especially happy that they explained 됐어요 and why it means what it means. I had wondered about it for a long time.

I'm taking a break from Finnish now and listening to some German radios instead. I'll definitely come back to it at some point but Korean and German are more important to me right now.
2 persons have voted this message useful

yuhakko
Tetraglot
FranceRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4419 days ago

414 posts - 582 votes 
Speaks: French*, EnglishB2, EnglishC2, Spanish, Japanese
Studies: Korean, Norwegian, Mandarin

Message 511 of 559
27 September 2013 at 12:28am | IP Logged 
An impressive evolution in a year and half indeed! I've been "learning" Korean for much
more than you but I'm pretty sure you know more vocab than me! Just as a proof, I knew
only 2 words of the ones you added the other day and had just a feeling of their meaning,
not a precise one..!

Continue like that! You're motivating me to go back to study seriously Korean! :)

Evita
Tetraglot
Latvia
learnlatvian.info
Joined 6339 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 

Message 512 of 559
27 September 2013 at 3:20pm | IP Logged 
Thanks for the encouragement, yuhakko! I don't know about vocabulary but I'm sure your overall level of Korean is much higher than mine because you've been actually speaking and using it a lot. In any case, I'm happy to be providing motivation to somebody since I have received so much of it here on HTLAL.

As for my progress, I've been keeping up with Anki, listening to some Iyagi's and reading a bit of Master's Sun's script. I should go back to my textbook this weekend.

This discussion contains 559 messages over 70 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version