Latvia
learnlatvian.info
Joined 6332 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 
Speaks: Latvian*, English, German, Russian
Studies: Korean, Finnish

Message 513 of 559
29 September 2013 at 8:00pm | IP Logged 
I'm expecting to get a call regarding a job interview next week so I can't study Korean right now. Instead I've been reading IT books and websites in German in order to acquire the professional vocabulary. I think part of the job interview might be conducted in German so I'm anxious, my active German skills are very rusty. I should at least find some examples on the internet on how to introduce oneself in German and talk about previous job experience.

Even though Korean is lower on my list of priorities right now, I'm still watching dramas. It's just entertainment after all. So this week I finally picked up I Miss You again. I started watching it last year but it wasn't very gripping. Still I downloaded all the episodes because I liked both main actors. I guess I'll finish it next week.

And here's a funny story I forgot to share last time. I was listening to one Iyagi lesson last week, it was about movies. I thought it might be on the easier side so I tried to listen intensively, and I did understand a lot, especially in the beginning. I just thought it was a bit strange how they kept talking about who knows English (yongo) better. Only when I listened to it for the second time I got the feeling that something is not right so I paused to think about it and then I realized that they were talking about acting (yongi), not English. Then it all made much more sense. I don't know why I didn't recognize the word for "acting" right away, I heard it many times on LSS (since the main character wanted to become an actress).
1 person has voted this message useful

Evita
Tetraglot
Latvia
learnlatvian.info
Joined 6332 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 

Message 514 of 559
03 October 2013 at 10:48pm | IP Logged 
I'm still waiting for the call so it's not an ideal situation for studying. Today I found out that the responsible persons are on business trips so I should wait some more. Ha. Oh well, more time for me to prepare. I've been listening a lot to German talk radio, Deutschlandfunk, maybe an hour a day on average. It should help, I think, plus it's interesting to hear about the world news from a German perspective. The only thing I don't like is that at 18:30 (my timezone) when I'm usually on my way home they talk about culture - I don't care about culture. So I usually put on something else at that time, maybe TTMIK.

One question though. When they talk about traffic on the radio, they often say "Stau" and "stockender Verkehr". Are they synonyms or not?

As for Korean, I've (barely) managed to keep up with Anki. Since I want to focus on other things now I've reduced the daily new word count from 8 to 5 and may reduce it further (or simply not add any new words).

Ich möchte jetzt ein bisschen etwas auf Deutsch schreiben. Korrekturen sind wilkommen. Also ich warte immer noch auf den Anruf bezüglich meiner Bewerbung. Es fällt mir schwer, mich zu entspannen. Die ganze Woche lang habe ich den Anruf gewartet und jetzt muss ich noch mehr warten. Die einzige gute Sache, die daraus gekommen ist, ist mehr Zeit für mich, Deutsch zu üben.

Als ich diesen Text schreibe, verwende ich ab und zu dieses Wörterbuch. Meiner Meinung nach ist es sehr gut. Ich habe auch gemerkt, dass ich Englische Grammatik manchmal verwenden will. Ich habe manche Sätze schon korrigiert.

druckfehler
Triglot
Germany
Joined 4648 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Korean
Studies: Persian

Message 515 of 559
04 October 2013 at 11:49am | IP Logged 
Evita wrote:
One question though. When they talk about traffic on the radio, they often say "Stau" and "stockender Verkehr". Are they synonyms or not?

No, they are not synonyms, they are different degrees of road congestion. "Stau" means that the traffic is hardly moving (or not moving at all) and you always have longer periods of waiting in between. In "stockender Verkehr" you usually move more than you are standing, but the speed is slow.

Evita wrote:
Ich möchte jetzt ein bisschen etwas auf Deutsch schreiben.

Ich möchte jetzt ein bisschen was auf Deutsch schreiben.

Evita wrote:
Die ganze Woche lang habe ich den Anruf gewartet und jetzt muss ich noch mehr warten. Die einzige gute Sache, die daraus gekommen ist, ist mehr Zeit für mich, Deutsch zu üben.

Die ganze Woche lang habe ich auf den Anruf gewartet und jetzt muss ich noch mehr warten. Die einzige gute Sache, die daraus resultiert ist/dadurch entstanden ist, ist mehr Zeit für mich, Deutsch zu üben.

Evita wrote:
Als ich diesen Text schreibe, verwende ich ab und zu dieses Wörterbuch.

Während ich diesen Text schreibe, verwende ich ab und zu dieses Wörterbuch.

Evita wrote:
Ich habe auch gemerkt, dass ich Englische Grammatik manchmal verwenden will.

Ich habe auch gemerkt, dass ich manchmal Englische Grammatik verwenden will.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Evita
Tetraglot
Latvia
learnlatvian.info
Joined 6332 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 

Message 516 of 559
04 October 2013 at 6:44pm | IP Logged 
Thank you, Renate! This question about traffic jams had been bugging me for weeks, I'm glad to finally know the difference.

By the way, I got the call today and also went to the interview today. Now I have to wait for them to call me back. I think the interview went well so I'm cautiously optimistic. I did have to speak in German for a bit and I just strung together some sentences about where I learned German and a bit about my time in Germany. I thought it was not a great showing but they said they could see I won't have any problems with German. I was honestly a bit surprised about that but... Well, if they think that, who am I to argue? Haha. Maybe they liked my accent, or maybe they don't know German that well themselves (I didn't speak with any native Germans).

Evita
Tetraglot
Latvia
learnlatvian.info
Joined 6332 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 

Message 517 of 559
08 October 2013 at 3:46pm | IP Logged 
I'm quite busy these days, I'm finally moving to my new place this weekend so I have a lot of things to prepare. Nevertheless, on Sunday I managed to do something I had been postponing for a long time - I went through the song recordings on my radio app and tried to find the songs on the internet based on what lyrics I could understand. I was 100% successful so that's nice. Now I have some 15 more songs I can listen to. I hope to seriously study the lyrics for at least half of them.

I'm also happy to report that I'm slowly increasing the number of Korean websites I sometimes go to. When I first started learning Korean I didn't use them for a long time because I found them too intimidating. Then I started using the Naver dictionary. Then, a long while later, I started using Korean torrent sites. Then, another long while later (maybe a month ago), I started looking at Nate news (the articles about GD). Today I wanted to find out the rating of yesterday's episode of GD but it was not on Wikipedia yet so I looked at the Korean wiki article for the drama and I found the ratings information just fine. It feels nice to be able to do that. I think I'll stick to the entertainment section of Nate for the foreseeable future trying to improve my reading comprehension and mining the articles for new vicabulary.

I've reached 2600 words on Anki. I don't finish all my reviews on some days but I've been able to avoid a large backlog.

Evita
Tetraglot
Latvia
learnlatvian.info
Joined 6332 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 

Message 518 of 559
15 October 2013 at 3:10pm | IP Logged 
I finally moved to my new apartment. Yay! It's a bit inconvenient without a stove and a sink and a couch and a TV but I'll get all those eventually. I have a nice desk for my computer and my study books and that's enough for now.

I went to the second interview today. It turns out that I'm not quite qualified for the position I originally applied for but now they're offering me a different one. They asked me to speak some German again and this time I spoke a couple of sentences about language learning and Korean. The guy didn't look very impressed by my mention of Korean but he did nod approvingly at my German. I still don't get how they can judge my German so quickly but whatever.

If I do get the job I'm going to retire this log and start a new one with more focus on German and other languages. Actually I might do that in any case. Korean doesn't seem that difficult anymore and Finnish has left my radar for the time being so the title of the log is somewhat misleading.

Here's what I did last week: kept up with Anki, listened to quite a few TTMIK lessons (up to 8x15 now), watched some dramas. GD finished last week and now I'm sort of rewatching it and trying to make a music video out of it. I also started watching an older drama, Dalja's Spring. I don't think it will be one of my favorites but it's enjoyable enough.

Oh and I learned a new German word today - nachvollziehen. I'm sure I must have heard it before but today was the first time I actually looked it up in the dictionary.

druckfehler
Triglot
Germany
Joined 4648 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Korean
Studies: Persian

Message 519 of 559
15 October 2013 at 3:56pm | IP Logged 
Evita wrote:
If I do get the job I'm going to retire this log and start a new one with more focus on German and other languages. Actually I might do that in any case. Korean doesn't seem that difficult anymore and Finnish has left my radar for the time being so the title of the log is somewhat misleading.

Ich drücke dir die Daumen, dass du den Job bekommst, Evita! ;)

Just wanted to point out that you could also change the title of the log if it's just that. But I can understand if you want to start with a brand-new one.

Evita
Tetraglot
Latvia
learnlatvian.info
Joined 6332 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 

Message 520 of 559
15 October 2013 at 10:57pm | IP Logged 
I don't want to change the name of my log because then all my old posts would be under an inappropriate title. Besides, I just think it would fit - new place, new job, new log haha.

I forgot to mention my most serious studying in my last post - I read through and analyzed the lyrics of Joo Won's Love Medicine. My goal when studying song lyrics is not to understand completely everything but to see examples of vocabulary and grammar usage and to learn them by heart.

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 559 messages over 70 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version