Latvia
learnlatvian.info
Joined 6333 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 
Speaks: Latvian*, English, German, Russian
Studies: Korean, Finnish

Message 545 of 559
11 December 2013 at 11:28am | IP Logged 
kujichagulia, oh no, Anki is definitely not perfect yet. But I still think Anki is awesome for a free product. And free synchronizing as well, and a free Android app as well. It's amazing. I mostly do the reviews on my phone now even when I am home because I like not being tied to my computer. Then I sync - whenever - and download the new cards I have entered on my desktop Anki. It's so convenient.

I'm not in a hurry to finish all the TTMIK lessons but I've been going through level 8 slowly. Today I listened to lesson 8x19 and the example sentences were so difficult I didn't understand them at all the first time I heard them. It reminded me how it used to be when I was studying the first 5-6 levels but level 8 hadn't been that hard. Here are the sample sentences from this lesson:

1. 무대에서 쓰러지는 한이 있더라도 공연을 취소할 수는 없어요.
= Even if it means I might collapse on the stage, we can’t cancel the performance.

2. 여행 계획을 다 취소하는 한이 있더라도 지금 수술을 받아야 돼요.
= Even if that means we have to cancel all the travel plans, you need to get this surgery now.

3. 회사를 그만두는 한이 있더라도 할 말은 해야겠어요.
= Even if I end up quitting the job because of this, I have to say what I have to say.

4. 약속에 많이 늦는 한이 있더라도 화장은 꼭 하고 가야 돼요.
= Even if I might end up being very late for the meeting, I must put my make-up on before I go.

5. 금방 고장나서 버리는 한이 있더라도 일단 사야겠어요.
= Even though this might end up breaking and I’ll have to throw it away, I have to buy it now (and think about it later).

The amazing thing was that all the words in these sentences, except "collapse", are in my Anki deck but I still couldn't recognize them right away (when I heard them). Oh well. It doesn't really surprise me because I knew I would have to see the words in some sentences in order to become truly familiar with them but this whole lesson just caught me by surprise. I hadn't seen this grammar point in my books or noticed it in dramas so it was new for me.

But TTMIK is partially at fault here too. They used the "야겠다" construction in two of the sentences and didn't explain it even though they had never mentioned it before. I'll try looking it up somewhere else.

Edit: Renate, Thursday or Friday evening would work for me. I start the job on next Monday so I just want to have some speaking practice before that :)

Edited by Evita on 11 December 2013 at 11:32am

1 person has voted this message useful

The Real CZ
United States
Joined 5430 days ago

1069 posts - 1495 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Korean

Message 546 of 559
11 December 2013 at 1:34pm | IP Logged 
Is "한이 있더라도" the structure for that lesson? I've never seen it in the grammar books
that I own, so I think sometime in the future I should go back to TTMIK and go through
the structures that my books don't have. I didn't think their lessons would be helpful
for me at all (aside from the Iyagi series).

By the way, how do you feel about the progression of TTMIK in helping you learn Korean? I
have had a lot of people online ask me how to go about learning Korean and I always
direct them to TTMIK without having ever really needing to use it myself (since the site
was launched well after I didn't need it).

Evita
Tetraglot
Latvia
learnlatvian.info
Joined 6333 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 

Message 547 of 559
11 December 2013 at 3:25pm | IP Logged 
TTMIK has definitely helped me a lot, it's the best free resource available so you have done well suggesting it to others. But, like I have said before, TTMIK has their faults as well. The biggest one in my opinion is that their coverage of grammar is not systematic and therefore they miss quite a lot of things. (Not having a lesson on -ㄹ 때 is bad.) Also, some lessons are not ordered correctly in my opinion.

They also don't introduce common expressions like "만나서 반가워요" but this is not really a criticism since their lessons are called grammar lessons, not common-expressions lessons. However, this and the reasons above are why I always recommend to have another resource besides TTMIK, preferably a textbook. They would complement each other nicely.

As for you, I doubt that there are many grammar points in the lessons that you don't know but you may want to look through their advanced and idiomatic expressions series starting from level 8, you might find some useful things in there.

druckfehler
Triglot
Germany
Joined 4649 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Korean
Studies: Persian

Message 548 of 559
11 December 2013 at 5:36pm | IP Logged 
Evita, did you get my message? It's the last one on page 68 of your thread. Just making sure. I'll probably only have time on Friday evening for chatting. Would be nice to talk to you again! (We could even talk, if that helps ;))

Evita
Tetraglot
Latvia
learnlatvian.info
Joined 6333 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 

Message 549 of 559
11 December 2013 at 8:03pm | IP Logged 
druckfehler wrote:
Evita, did you get my message? It's the last one on page 68 of your thread. Just making sure. I'll probably only have time on Friday evening for chatting. Would be nice to talk to you again! (We could even talk, if that helps ;))

Yes, I saw your message and replied in the next post. 저는 금요일 저녁 잘 돼요. Freitag Abend passt mir gut. Es wäre toll, wenn wir ein echtes Gespräch versuchen könnten, ich brauche es sehr. Ich möchte wissen, wie gut (order schlecht) mein Niveau tatsächlich ist.

Evita
Tetraglot
Latvia
learnlatvian.info
Joined 6333 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 

Message 550 of 559
16 December 2013 at 8:54pm | IP Logged 
Tja, was soll ich nun sagen. Heute war der erste Tag an meinem neuen Arbeitsplatz und ich musste auch gleich meine Deutschkenntnisse nutzen. Ich musste nähmlich eine lange Presentation über die Dienstleistungen meiner neuen Firma in der Schweitz durchlesen, und die war natürlich auf Deutsch. Ich muss schnell Worte wie Forderung, uneinbringlich, Bonität, Inkasso, Zahlungsverzug, Provision usw. lernen. Aber andere Dokumente waren auf Englisch, also es war nicht so schlecht. Morgen gibt's aber der wahre Test - ich muss mit den Deutschen telefonieren, damit sie mit mir bekannt werden können. Ich hoffe, es läuft gut.

Today was my first day at my new job. It's a finance (credit management) company so I had to look up quite a lot of German finance-related vocabulary but that was expected. Tomorrow there's a phone call with some German business people and I'll have to introduce myself. I hope they don't make me speak too much.

As for Korean, I listened to some more TTMIK lessons. I liked lesson 8x24 about "-(으)ㄹ 따름이다" because this expression is more formal than what they usually teach and the example sentences were quite interesting. "부끄러울 따름입니다." (= I’m just ashamed of it/my mistake/what I did/what happened. I have nothing else to say; I can’t say anything but this; I can’t think of anything else but this.) It's so Korean. Then, lesson 8x25 was about expressions of negation. It was pretty easy for me because I already knew most of them from dramas. My favorite expression of this kind is "말도 안 돼." It's probably because I noticed it myself in dramas quite early on and gradually figured out how it was spelled and why it meant what it meant.

Anki is the same as always, the backlog is still there and I'm still working on it. Also - I've arrived at 2800 cards, yay.

About dramas: Heirs are finally over (yay) and I've found a new drama to love (yay) - Prime Minister and I. The third episode was aired today and I watched half of it without subtitles. I hope it doesn't disappoint later in its run. Empress Ki is, well... It's a good show but I can't marathon it. It's so dark and bloody that I can't stomach it in large doses. It's the same for all historical dramas, that's why I so rarely watch them. But I'm in episode 8 now and I'll probably keep going when I'm in the right mood.

Evita
Tetraglot
Latvia
learnlatvian.info
Joined 6333 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 

Message 551 of 559
22 December 2013 at 10:39pm | IP Logged 
Well, my wish came true. The only things I had to say in German in that meeting were "hallo" and "danke" so there was no problem. But the application itself (the GUI) is in German so there will be no escaping it. It's actually pretty amazing if you think about it - everyone in our project knows Latvian, Russian, English, and German to a decent level (not to mention the actual IT stuff). Well, there's this one young guy who says he doesn't know Russian very well but maybe he meant just the speaking part. The team meetings at my previous job were in English so it's strange to have them here in Latvian with a mix of Russian thrown in. But it's nice. Anyway, I get the feeling I won't have to actually speak with any Germans until later when I have learned more about the software so I'm taking it easy.

I did start getting some "spam" e-mails in German and I learned that the equivalent of "Dear All" in German is "Hallo zusammen". It sounds strange to me but then "dear all" sounded strange to me at first as well so what do I know.

Now, about Korean. I just posted the December challenge on the team thread so you can check it out if you want to. As for TTMIK, I haven't finished level 8 yet but I saw that they just published a lesson about -ㄹ 테니까 in level 9 so I jumped ahead and listened to it. It was good.

I don't remember if I mentioned this before but a while ago I found these grammar slides. This weekend I've been going through them starting from the very first one. It's my 4th or 5th time going through the basic grammar but each resource gives me something new so I still find it worthwhile. I'm at the beginner lesson 12 and I have to say it's excellent review material, very condensed but well explained. I'll finish the beginner slides and then move onto the intermediate ones. They will probably contain grammar that I'm less familiar with.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Mareike
Germany
Joined 6005 days ago

267 posts - 323 votes 
Speaks: German*
Studies: English, Swedish

Message 552 of 559
22 December 2013 at 11:06pm | IP Logged 
"Hallo Zusammen" hört sich für mich sehr informell an. Ich vernwende das nur wenn ich an mehrere Freunde schreibe.

This discussion contains 559 messages over 70 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version