learnlatvian.info
Joined 6332 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 
Speaks: Latvian*, English, German, Russian
Studies: Korean, Finnish

Message 553 of 559
26 December 2013 at 11:32am | IP Logged 
Mareike wrote:
"Hallo Zusammen" hört sich für mich sehr informell an. Ich vernwende das nur wenn ich an mehrere Freunde schreibe.

Danke für die Info. Ich werde es trotzdem wahrscheinlich verwenden müssen, denn alle anderen tun dasselbe.

We have three official holidays due to Christmas so I have lots of time to spend on Korean. Lately I've been in the mood to watch dramas so I was looking for a nice comedy to marathon and I decided on "Protect the boss". It's not as good as I expected so I'm not sure I will finish it but I have the transcripts of the episodes from the SBS site and I've been reading bits of them while watching and I have added tons of new words to my Anki deck, maybe 40-50. I really need to start to review more if I ever want to get this deck under control.

And speaking of dramas, I'm also watching You From Another Star but it hasn't grabbed me the way Prime Minister and I has. PM&I reminds me of Good Doctor because the writing is just as good, it sets up conflicts and pay-offs very well, and the Christmas episode (no.6) was just perfect.

1 person has voted this message useful

Evita
Tetraglot
Latvia
learnlatvian.info
Joined 6332 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 

Message 554 of 559
27 December 2013 at 9:30pm | IP Logged 
I have some (electronic) Korean textbooks in Russian and yesterday I decided to check the internet for some reviews of those textbooks. Surprisingly (or maybe not) I could find only download links, no reviews in online shops or similar. Oh well. I did find this thread and I wanted to find out more about this Won Gwang school in Moscow so I read through almost all of it. My Russian reading skills are quite rusty so it took me more than an hour, probably close to two hours. I was surprised to learn that all these years their Korean classes have been completely free, it's pretty amazing. But apparently they are having trouble with sponsors right now so they will start charging for the classes in 2014. Anyway, I'm not planning to go there, I was just curious.

The situation at my new job is more relaxed than I had imagined and at some points I don't have any particular tasks to do. Since using that time to browse the internet would be bad style (because I'm new there) I decided to spend that time on improving my German. I found this special edition newspaper and started reading. I managed to read both articles that were on the first page and I looked up every word I didn't know. There were quite a lot of them but many of those were words I had once known so it was not too bad. I just need to keep going at it but I don't think I will read this newspaper on my free time just to study German, it's too heavy for that.

Oh and tomorrow I'm planning to hit the local bookstores to check out what they have in German or on German. If I'm lucky maybe I'll find a novel to read.

Bakunin
Diglot
Switzerland
outerkhmer.blogspot.
Joined 4910 days ago

531 posts - 1126 votes 
Speaks: German*, Thai
Studies: Khmer

Message 555 of 559
27 December 2013 at 9:45pm | IP Logged 
Mareike wrote:
"Hallo Zusammen" hört sich für mich sehr informell an. Ich vernwende das nur wenn ich an mehrere Freunde schreibe.

Im mündlichen Schweizerdeutsch (Zürich) ist
Hoi -- informell, Einzahl
Hoi zäme (Hallo zusammen) -- informell, Mehrzahl
Grüezi -- formell, Einzahl
Grüezi mitenand -- formell, Mehrzahl

Da man sich in der Schweiz im Berufsleben in der Regel duzt, macht das "Hallo zusammen" als eingedeutschte Anrede schon Sinn. Ich muss allerdings zugeben, dass ich es selber bisher nur selten gesehen habe, da in meiner Firma meist Englisch geschrieben wird.

Edited by Bakunin on 27 December 2013 at 9:46pm

Evita
Tetraglot
Latvia
learnlatvian.info
Joined 6332 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 

Message 556 of 559
28 December 2013 at 11:52pm | IP Logged 
I visited three of the biggest bookstores in Riga and I couldn't find any novels in German, all they had were books in Latvian, Russian and English. What a shame. They did have lots of textbooks for German and I spent some time perusing them and almost bought a thick volume of exercises but in the end I decided it's not the best way to spend my time and money. I'll probably order something from Amazon DE.

I finished the KLEAR beginner slides today. I'll be going through the intermediate ones next. I also need to take a final look at Harukorean. My subscription was automatically renewed in August but I haven't used it at all. Now I got an e-mail that my subscription will be canceled on December 31st because of the new pricing they implemented back in summer so I have only a couple of days left.

The Real CZ
United States
Joined 5429 days ago

1069 posts - 1495 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Korean

Message 557 of 559
29 December 2013 at 1:23am | IP Logged 
I feel the same way about Prime Minister and I. The writing has kept me really
interested, as the plot is a lot more interesting than the synopsis was. And You From
Another Star is a chore to watch. It actually took effort for me to finish episode one,
as I was looking up at the clock every five minutes waiting for it to be over. How it's
getting over 20% ratings...I have no clue.

Evita
Tetraglot
Latvia
learnlatvian.info
Joined 6332 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 

Message 558 of 559
29 December 2013 at 11:15am | IP Logged 
It's time for my year-end overview. I'm mostly happy with how this year has turned out. I made significant progress in Korean, some progress in Finnish and also started to revive my German.

The main tool for my Korean studies has been Anki, in more than one way. First, it's because I consistently study vocabulary with it, and second, it's because the option to share one's decks has pushed me to make them better and learn more Korean in the process. This year was the year I started looking at intermediate Korean grammar, I finished level 8 on TTMIK, but I realized I needed to properly internalize the beginner grammar first and that's what I've been doing this year going through various beginner resources. Working on my sentence deck in Anki has been a huge help with that.

My studying has been pretty relaxed and painless in the second half of the year (I don't remember about the first half). Last year was very difficult - I had to learn how to read in Korean and learn the various completely new grammar concepts, and I had to get used to the sound of the language. Since I got the basics of all of these items down last year, this year was much easier. If you've been following my log you probably know that I don't like doing grammar exercises. It's because they are usually difficult but I want to keep my studying easy and fun. My solution has been to look up the same construction in different resources with different examples and look for it in dramas and eventually I do learn the construction to the point where doing the exercises is easy and then I sometimes actually do them.

In addition to going through grammar books (which I actually didn't do that much over the course of the year), one of my main activities has been listening. I had a rather long commute to and from work and I used it to listen to internet radios (Korean, German, Finnish), TTMIK lessons and Iyagi podcasts. I did it a lot and it helped a lot for my Korean listening comprehension. Watching dramas has also been very important for the development of this skill because with dramas I also have the English translation right there and I can easily go back 10 seconds if I'm curious about a particular expression.

Another thing I've been doing is collecting drama transcripts with the idea that I might read through them either during or after I watch an episode. This was very difficult for me in the first half of the year (too little vocabulary and grammar knowledge and too slow reading speed) but it's becoming gradually easier. It's not a regular activity of mine though, I only do it when I feel like it. The outcome of such reading is always many new words for my Anki deck.

Still speaking of dramas, one of my goals for 2013 was to try watching a drama without subtitles. I knew I wouldn't understand much but I thought it would be a good way to train my ear. Well, I tried it and I discovered that I'm not interested in watching dramas where I understand very little so I turned the subtitles back on. The only times I watch them without subtitles are when the episodes are new and the subtitles haven't come out yet (and then I rewatch it all with subtitles). I did it sometimes for Good Doctor and Master's Sun and now also for PM&I.

I also subscribed to Harukorean back in February. It's a paid site where you can write sentences in Korean and get them corrected within 24 hours. I thought I needed the writing practice but I've barely used the site at all. I don't like saying or writing things I'm not sure of, I like to have lots of passive input to become sure of things and then I don't need any corrections anymore because I just know it. But I would recommend Harukorean to people who like to experiment with output.

Now, a couple words about Finnish. Actually I'm not sure what to say except that I made some progress but I dropped it at some point due to a lack of motivation. I'm sure it will be back though once I get to a comfortable level with Korean. I've invested way too much time in it to leave it barely usable as it is.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Evita
Tetraglot
Latvia
learnlatvian.info
Joined 6332 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 

Message 559 of 559
01 January 2014 at 8:07pm | IP Logged 
Well, time to say goodbye to this log. My new log is here. As I explained before, the title of this thread has become outdated and I don't want to change it so I thought it best to create a new log with a neutral title that could last me a long long time.

I want to say thanks to everyone who has supported me here on HTLAL, this log has been very important for my motivation to keep on studying. When the forum didn't work for a couple of weeks my routine went to hell and studying became very difficult. So thank you! And see you in my new log!

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 559 messages over 70 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version