Language Learning Forum : General discussion Post Reply
32 messages over 4 pages: 1 2 3
maydayayday
Pentaglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5022 days ago

564 posts - 839 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Italian, SpanishB2, FrenchB2
Studies: Arabic (Egyptian), Russian, Swedish, Turkish, Polish, Persian, Vietnamese
Studies: Urdu

Message 25 of 32
02 May 2012 at 5:03pm | IP Logged 
maydayayday wrote:
Vietnamese
Friday I spent getting my materials together and listening to some random clips I found on the web so can't really count that.

Saturday: I started to learn the Vietnamese alphabet, curiously derived from Portuguese according to Wiki. One hour later had 90% of the letters pronounced. Tones baffled me. So I broke off to make a chocolate cake and some scones.

Sunday: a further hour on the alphabet. Cut the audio from some you tube video and using Audacity recorded myself shadowing the speaker trying to match my waveforms to his. This tone thing is a lot harder for me. Learned my first few phrase fragments; greetings and thanks.

Monday I had a day off from Vietnamese as I had some documents to finish in English.

Tuesday: I learned a few more phrasal chunks. I tend to aim for 30 but you know... I amn now old ...

Wednesday: I posted a request for a native Vietnamese person in my locality to chat. I am a certfied EFL tutor so it's not a bad deal. I need to get this tone/shape thing down.

1 person has voted this message useful

maydayayday
Pentaglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5022 days ago

564 posts - 839 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Italian, SpanishB2, FrenchB2
Studies: Arabic (Egyptian), Russian, Swedish, Turkish, Polish, Persian, Vietnamese
Studies: Urdu

Message 26 of 32
03 May 2012 at 3:50pm | IP Logged 
Vietnamese
Friday I spent getting my materials together and listening to some random clips I found on the web so can't really count that.

Saturday: I started to learn the Vietnamese alphabet, curiously derived from Portuguese according to Wiki. One hour later had 90% of the letters pronounced. Tones baffled me. So I broke off to make a chocolate cake and some scones.

Sunday: a further hour on the alphabet. Cut the audio from some you tube video and using Audacity recorded myself shadowing the speaker trying to match my waveforms to his. This tone thing is a lot harder for me. Learned my first few phrase fragments; greetings and thanks.

Monday I had a day off from Vietnamese as I had some documents to finish in English.

Tuesday: I learned a few more phrasal chunks. I tend to aim for 30 but you know... I amn now old ...

Wednesday: I posted a request for a native Vietnamese person in my locality to chat. I am a certfied EFL tutor so it's not a bad deal. I need to get this tone/shape thing down.

Thursday: Revise alphabet and pronciations got the alphabet now and tones are getting better - so it seems from audacity. Have 70 phrase segments/chunks and am starting on joining them up.

Spanky
Canada
Joined 5759 days ago

1021 posts - 1714 votes 
Studies: French

Message 27 of 32
08 May 2012 at 7:43am | IP Logged 
Spanky wrote:
My Wanderlust Voucher arrived in the mail today!   I am planning on
cashing it in May
1st through 7th inclusive.   

Language: Toki Pona, a conlang involving only 14 phonemes and 123 words (and as
the creator is a Canadian, I expect half of those words may relate to hockey).

I cashed in my voucher, and received considerable value in return.   Turns out that none
of the root words actually related to hockey, which naturally was a bit disappointing at
first, but toki pona is such a different and interesting experience that my early
disappointment soon diminished.   My toki pona week was the certainly the most fun I’ve
ever had with language study.
4 persons have voted this message useful

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6506 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 28 of 32
08 May 2012 at 9:22am | IP Logged 
I have actually used several vouchers (which I gave myself without asking anybody). For instance I returned from Poland (and Germany) one year ago with the intention of adding Polish to my list, and I studied it so intensively for a short time (maybe slightly more than one week, though) that I could concoct a Youtube video without actually reading aloud - but with a heavy dose of prelearned sentences and a few glances into my papers in between AND some heavy editing.

I did the things I normally do: studied grammar, copied from bilingual texts and transferred new words to wordlists, and I even listened to genuine Polish sources to get the 'sound' of the language. But then I became involved in other projects, and Polish is right now on the 'keep contact but not more' list. This doesn't mean that I have given up - one of the languages which I study now is Irish, which lay dormant in exactly the same way for a year until I decided that my pronunciation didn't have to be perfect when it wasn't likely to be tested. Irony: I have since found out that close listening with meticulous note-taking in a homebrewed phonetic writing gave me the necessary information about the pronunciation ... but Polish came too early for this treatment.

Earlier I have for instance studied the Tagalog verbal system for a month or so - one week would have been sufficient if I had dropped my other attention craving languages, but I didn't want to do that. And during my week on Taiwan I actually read about Chinese and learned a number of (traditional) signs for useful things, such as 'English' and a number of cities.

Edited by Iversen on 14 May 2012 at 2:28pm

WentworthsGal
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4691 days ago

191 posts - 246 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Swedish, Spanish

Message 29 of 32
08 May 2012 at 6:35pm | IP Logged 
Oooh I've never heard of Toki Pona before but I think I may have to give it a try now that I've just finished a work project :oD Thank you Spanky for mentioning it :o) it sounds like great fun! :oD

Edited by WentworthsGal on 08 May 2012 at 6:36pm

jellyfish
Triglot
Groupie
Japan
Joined 4588 days ago

50 posts - 70 votes 
Speaks: English, German*, Japanese
Studies: Thai, Persian, Russian

Message 30 of 32
11 May 2012 at 11:43am | IP Logged 
Great. I'll keep it for after the 6WC, and then exchange it for a dose of Devanagari.

Michael K.
United States
Joined 5532 days ago

568 posts - 886 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Esperanto

Message 31 of 32
11 May 2012 at 3:14pm | IP Logged 
I decided to do 7 days of Latin instead of Swedish.

Today is my 4th day.

yassi
Diglot
Austria
Joined 4632 days ago

34 posts - 49 votes
Speaks: German*, EnglishC1
Studies: Turkish, Slovak

Message 32 of 32
14 May 2012 at 11:12am | IP Logged 
That's such a good idea! I'll use mine for Korean and I'll start on Wednesday evening - after finishing my beginners' Slovak book.

I've always liked Korean but I don't think I'll ever really study it. But it's perfect for my wanderlust voucher!

This discussion contains 32 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 1 2 3

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version