Joined 5633 days ago

5460 posts - 6006 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: German*, DutchC1, EnglishB2, French, Italian, Spanish, Esperanto
Studies: Latin, Danish, Norwegian, Turkish
Personal Language Map

Message 17 of 33
04 June 2012 at 6:35am | IP Logged 
When I was a teenager, I studied four foreign languages at school, but I wasn't a polyglot. I was just a normal school pupil who had good marks in English, French and Latin. Nothing more!

Fasulye

Edited by Fasulye on 04 June 2012 at 6:36am

1 person has voted this message useful

Journeyer
Triglot
United States
tristan85.blogspot.c
Joined 6654 days ago

946 posts - 1110 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, German
Studies: Sign Language

Message 18 of 33
04 June 2012 at 6:56am | IP Logged 
I've always been interested in languages, and finally became intensely interested in them in middle school. It was a lonely hobby at times: checking out linguistic books from the library and reading them during breaks, or learning Esperanto on my own in addition to the French classes I had. My obsession even took me to Mexico for year as a Rotary exchange student when I was 17.

But, that's how love is sometimes. I really don't think you'll regret this. And really, it won't always be so lonely. Nowadays I have a hard time thinking of a friend who doesn't speak at least one other language.

And rest assured; it is by no means a dying hobby at all! In fact, it might not happen in your time as a teenager, although I wouldn't be surprised, but language learning will probably pick up the steam in younger people. :-)

Edited by Journeyer on 04 June 2012 at 11:23am

2 persons have voted this message useful

CMTM
United Kingdom
Joined 4334 days ago

28 posts - 36 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: French

Message 19 of 33
18 June 2012 at 10:26pm | IP Logged 
I'm thirteen, and am also very interested in languages, currently I am "learning" French
in school. My mum is Dutch, so I want to learn it,, but first my aim is Esperanto. I have
a long list of languages I want to learn.

The only person who speaks more than one language who is my age is a girl I know who is
from Venezuela.

lovinglanguage
Hexaglot
United States
lovinglanguage.wordp
Joined 4324 days ago

4 posts - 10 votes
Speaks: English*, Russian, French, Ukrainian, German, Biblical Hebrew
Studies: Arabic (classical), Arabic (Levantine), Arabic (Maghribi), Dutch, Persian

Message 20 of 33
23 June 2012 at 6:34am | IP Logged 
I was studying three languages in high school--which is rare in the US. I took evening classes, when I could. I finally went to France as an exchange student my final year in high school.

urutu
Triglot
Indonesia
Joined 4246 days ago

3 posts - 3 votes
Speaks: Javanese, Indonesian*, English
Studies: French

Message 21 of 33
08 September 2012 at 5:45pm | IP Logged 
yeah, ifeel your pain, im alone in my process of learning, no one can motivate you but yourself, i ever stop my language learning (i was learning french) for 3 months, what a waste, and my motivation simply back again after through a gloomy days of thinking what i should do with my french, i can't simply stop until my fluency. and now , i'm studying with more confidence because i've using luca lampariello'smethod full circle

Darustet
Diglot
FinlandRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4293 days ago

9 posts - 12 votes
Speaks: Finnish*, English
Studies: Japanese

Message 22 of 33
16 September 2012 at 6:18pm | IP Logged 
I'm 16, turning 17 at the end of the year. The only foreign language I know is English but I speak it almost as well as my native Finnish. Currently living in Japan as an exchange student, so Japanese is also under its way. I became interested about polyglotism via this forum couple of months ago, and my only ''problem'' is that I can't decide which to start from after I return: Spanish, French or German. (I still want to learn them all though)

But about the main point; I do know tons of people who are interested in languages, but I doubt that no more than a few of them even know the word 'polyglot', let alone want to become one. Basically everyone here has at least some level of fluency in English, everybody has to study Swedish (even though most don't care to study it, so not that many actually speaks it, including me), many of my friends have a third or fourth language they study at school (I studied German for couple of years) and I have at least couple of friends who are bilingual by birth. Still, very few actually study them actively on their own and even fewer of them, if anyone, with methods or enthusiasm that I would consider serious enough for a daily basis self study.

So yes, I know tons of people who speak/are interested in learning a foreign language(s) but no, I don't know anyone who wants to study one as a polyglot.

languagenerd09
Triglot
United Kingdom
youtube.com/user/Lan
Joined 4886 days ago

174 posts - 267 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Mandarin, Japanese, Thai

Message 23 of 33
22 October 2012 at 2:39am | IP Logged 
I'm 21 now and I started learning basics of Spanish at the age of 7 as my granddad spoke
it (he was British too) but he thought it was respectful that if in the country that
isn't your native one, you should speak the language there - so that's why I started
learning basic Spanish, it wasn't until I was about 13 that I got my passion that I have
now for languages and I still get amazed by seeing teens on youtube nowadays who speak a
multitude of languages as none of my family nor friends are interested in it at all -
it's admittedly something not that common where I live.

bela_lugosi
Hexaglot
Finland
Joined 6240 days ago

272 posts - 376 votes 
Speaks: English, Finnish*, Italian, Spanish, German, Swedish
Studies: Russian, Estonian, Sámi, Latin

Message 24 of 33
10 December 2012 at 5:56pm | IP Logged 
I was alone with my passion for languages too when I was a teenager. By the time I turned 16 I was fluent in four languages (Finnish, English, Swedish, German) and had just begun to study Russian and Italian at that time. People found it strange that I didn't care about computer games or cars. I preferred reading and studying languages in my free time.

Oh well, people are different and have different interests... That's what my mum always says even if I sometimes find it hard to believe. ;)

This discussion contains 33 messages over 5 pages: << Prev 1 24 5  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version