Studies: Japanese

Message 121 of 256
07 May 2013 at 6:36pm | IP Logged 
W/E 2013-05-05 34h45m

Audio:   19:41
Vocab:   11:08
Reading   0:59
Grammar: 2:57

I've worked through JPOD101 BG S2 #14-#22 (and LI S2 #1) picking out vocabulary this
week. I've also decided to read all the way through A Homestay In Japan. This time
through I'm just going to read it, looking up things only when I completely fail to
understand it, and just get the general gist of it. On my second pass I'll SRS any new
vocabulary and grammar as required. On the final pass I'll read it intensively and
check anything I'm unsure of with my tutor.

I've been pushing harder with vocabulary, trying to get to the point where I know
everything in my current decks. Obviously as I keep adding things from books and
lessons, I'm still a few hundred cards behind at the moment.

I'm also harvesting the remainder of the applicable N4 course kanji and slowly picking
up new words of the N3 course.

For grammar, I've decided to work through Minna No Nihongo once more, this time making
sure that I fix all of it in my head as I go.

1 person has voted this message useful

dampingwire
Bilingual Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4445 days ago

1185 posts - 1513 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian*, French

Message 122 of 256
13 May 2013 at 9:22am | IP Logged 
W/E 2013-05-12 31h28m

Audio:   13:20
Vocab:   12:19
Reading: 4:05
Grammar: 1:44

This week I managed to finish mining JPOD101 Beginner Season 2 #1-#30 for vocabulary
and sentences. That's now over 1700 vocabulary terms and more than 350 sentences. I
also ploughed through to the end of the Japanese Picture Dictionary and finished adding
all the unknown vocabulary to Anki.

I switched to JPOD101 LI S3 from S2 for the audio: the contents seemed slightly more
relevant and so I think this will be the Lower Intermediate series I start to study
intensively.

I've managed to keep the Memrise and Anki vocabulary under control this week and the
audio during the commute has been going as expected.

My tutorials will now be switching over to pre-exam preparation, starting with
listening tests over the neext few weeks. I'll also try to concentrate on some
extensive reading over the next few weeks too.

dampingwire
Bilingual Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4445 days ago

1185 posts - 1513 votes 

Message 123 of 256
22 May 2013 at 7:37pm | IP Logged 
W/E 2013-05-19 40h19m

Audio:   19:51
Vocab:   10:57
Reading: 8:56
Grammar: 0:35

Quite a busy week. I had a few occasions where I was out and had nothing to do other
than listen to audio, that's part of the reason I managed more Japanese than usual.

Another reason is that I've read through A Homestay in Japan from beginning to end.
When I say "read" I mean I've read each unit and looked up the (kanji) words I could
pronounce, but I didn't look up unknown kana words unless they were in the gloss at the
bottom of the page. I also didn't let myself be slowed down by not understanding
exactly what was being said. I've added all the vocabulary to anki (there's a
convenient index at the back) and once I've had a week or so to lern it I'll go through
the book again and try to understand everything this time around.

I've also finished mining the first 10 lessons of JPOD101 Lower Intermediate Season 2
for vocabulary and sentences. The first 4 lessons I've also gone back and listened and
re-listened until I could hear and understand everything.

My first listening lesson with my tutor was OK, but only because the JLPT pass mark for
listening is so low (I think I scored maybe 45% and the pass mark is somewhere near
30%). I'm going to be working on this by going over as many of the old JLPT 3 past
paper listening tests as I can get. I'll work through each one by sitting the exam
cold, then listening repeatedly with the transcript and then trying again a few weeks
later. I think that the tests mostly involve the same sorts of situations and
vocabulary, so I should be able to improve just by working through many past papers
(and there are over 10 years worth on the web).

I'm now no longer listening to repeats of lessons on muy commute: instead I have a
playlist of a bunch of beginner lesson dialogs and I'm listening to those. I'll set up
another playlist with Upper Beginner stuff soon too.

Sentences are now a part of my anki routine; everything is being kept up to date
although I'm aggressively trying to burn through the vocabulary for A Homestay in
Japan. Memrise is also being kept up to date: I now have all the kanji for N4 vocab
planted and harvested too.

dampingwire
Bilingual Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4445 days ago

1185 posts - 1513 votes 

Message 124 of 256
27 May 2013 at 10:03pm | IP Logged 
W/E 2013-05-26 38h30m

Audio: 19:01
Vocab:   4:57
Reading: 7:50
Grammar: 6:03

RTK is progressing as expected. I'm continuing listening to a loop of about 100
Beginner lessons. I still lack the vocabulary for some of them but I still find it
useful for help with picking out sentence patterns and so forth. I did try a loop of
some Intermediate lessons too: the ones I'd intensively studied were OK but the rest
seemed just a bit too hard. So I'm going to stick to the Beginner loop for now.

My N4 exam email information pack from SOAS came through, so that's reminded me that I
do need to do some more work!

One of the areas I concentrated on this week was grammar and I've been through Chapters
1-11 and Revision Exercise A of Minna no Nihongo. The exercises have been useful in
solidifying the grammar points I've learned and the comprehension task which appears as
the last exercise in many of the chapters will hopefully speed up my reading in the
exam.

I've also been working on the 1991 JLPT 3 exam paper. I've had a quick go at the first
part of the 文字/語彙 paper but the part I've been concentrating on has been the
Listening part (聴解). I've been through the transcript and worked out the answers (and
then checked that against the answers supplied with the paper). The bulk of the work
has been in repeated listening to try to get to the point where I can follow the
dialogue. Things seem to be improving, but it's going to take a lot more work to get me
to the point where I'm happy. I know this sounds like sour grapes but the quality of
the recording seems a bit ropey at various points. This recording was probably supplied
on cassette so I'm going to try the latest paper and work backwards next: hopefully the
original recording will have been on CD in that case.

Memrise and anki have been kept fully up to date: I have about 600 words and 50
sentences yet to see. I'm quite pleased that I've hardly come across any new vocabulary
while going through the 1991 paper (well, so far at least, I've yet to tackle the bulk
of the written paper).

dampingwire
Bilingual Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4445 days ago

1185 posts - 1513 votes 

Message 125 of 256
03 June 2013 at 9:26am | IP Logged 
W/E 2013-06-02 31h

Audio:   14:36
Vocab     4:13
Reading: 2:33
Grammar: 9:39

RTK and anki are all up to date. Memrise is also up to date except for the N5 course,
which I've let slip slightly.

Audio continues with beginner series dialogues (i.e. pure Japanese, no English).

My full revision sweep of Minna no Nihongo has now reached Chapter 21. So far it has
all felt fairly straightforward and the exercises (where I have answers available) are
all going well.

My intensive listening of JPOD101 lessons reached #30 of BG S2. Now I've decided to
switch my intensive listening over to the JLPT listening exams (after I've tried each
one under exam conditions first).

Incidentally, I've switched my JPOD101 subscription to not renew: the 1 year gave me
access to everything downloadable and the rest of the site doesn't seem to offer
anything that anki + memrise don't already offer for free.

I've finished off the 1991 JLPT 3 paper and now I'll try the 2005 one.

dampingwire
Bilingual Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4445 days ago

1185 posts - 1513 votes 

Message 126 of 256
10 June 2013 at 11:42pm | IP Logged 
W/E 2013-06-09 31h13m

Audio:   19:13
Vocab:    4:17
Reading: 1:42
Grammar: 6:01

Now finished Chapter 27 of Minna no Nihongo. I've noticed that although Book 1 has an
answer booklet in the back (for some exercises at least), Book 2 doesn't. Oh well.

I'm trying to work through the JLPT past papers but I need to review the ones I've done
and work on the bits of grammar I think I've missed (or forgotten).

dampingwire
Bilingual Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4445 days ago

1185 posts - 1513 votes 

Message 127 of 256
18 June 2013 at 11:38pm | IP Logged 
W/E 2013-06-16 33h09m

Audio:    15:46
Vocab:     4:52
Reading:   2:12
Grammar: 10:19

I've completed up to Chapter 38 of Minna no Nihongo. The final reading passage is now
becoming harder, but is good practice for the reading comprehension exam questions.

I completed the 2004 JLPT 3 paper under exam conditions. I think I've got enough of
these done for now and I really need to find the time to analyse the questions and
brush up the weak points. So this is a really good time for some plumbers to trun up to
install a bathroom!

RTK and Anki are up to date. I've let the memrise N5 course slip badly but since my
retention rates were pretty high, I'm not worried about that. N4 is being kept watered.

dampingwire
Bilingual Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4445 days ago

1185 posts - 1513 votes 

Message 128 of 256
01 July 2013 at 10:04am | IP Logged 
W/E 2013-06-23 22h12m

Audio:    6:20
Vocab:    4:38
Reading: 1:01
Grammar: 8:35
Other:    1:04

W/E 2013-06-30 13h19m

Audio:    8:11
Vocab:    4:18
Reading: 0:50

Two weeks worth of updates in one go this time.

I've spent most of this week tiling a bathroom and doing a few other little jobs.
That's left very little time for Japanese, as the above numbers show quite clearly. In
addition, my tutor has been unavailable for these two weeks.

Everything should be back to normal from now, so hopefully I'll be able to get back
into the swing of things. Anki has kept my vocab reasonably fresh, but I need to up my
listening to get back into the groove.

This discussion contains 256 messages over 32 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version