Video:     7:03

完全マスターN3文法 - 5 lessons
みんなの日本語中級 - Chapter 1
Films/Series:
タイガー&ドラゴン - 3 episodes
フラクタル - 7 episodes (no subs)
NHK News - 5 articles
Kanji deck: 200 new

I managed 5 NHK News articles this week, so that's going well. It's providing a fair chunk of vocabulary
for Anki, although I've not tried activating it as there's so much else going on.

Things seemed to be going well with the Kanji deck, so I pushed my luck and activated 200 words this week. So
far nothing bad has happened.

I'm now on the section section of part 1 of 新完全マスター N3 文法. The first section went through a bunch of
related grammatical terms (e.g. various ways of saying "while X happens, Y happens too" and so on. This
section picks up something like よう and then looks at the various usages.

I've nearly finished フラクタル now. I've watched each episode without subtitles and then watched again (usually
immediately afterwards) with subtitles. I might switch that around for the next series and see if it seems to
have any effect.

I've switched form dialogues during the commute to Upper Intermediate lessons, just for a bit of variety.
These lessons are still tough but I'm beginning to understand parts of them.

1 person has voted this message useful

dampingwire
Bilingual Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4425 days ago

1185 posts - 1513 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian*, French
Studies: Japanese

Message 162 of 256
04 March 2014 at 7:40pm | IP Logged 
kraemder wrote:
I'm really a believer in turning off subs after not doing it for years.

So far nothing bad has happened. As I say in my update, I may change to watching with
subtitles first and then without afterwards. I also want to hunt down Japanese subs for
some episodes so I can try working through them more intensively and see if that is
helpful too.

dampingwire
Bilingual Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4425 days ago

1185 posts - 1513 votes 

Message 163 of 256
18 March 2014 at 12:02am | IP Logged 
2014-03-09 36h01m

Audio:    13:13
Vocab:     3:53
Reading:   6:57
Grammar:   5:15
Video:     6:43

完全マスターN3文法 - 8 lessons
みんなの日本語中級 - Chapters 1 & 2
Films/Series:
タイガー&ドラゴン - 4 episodes
フラクタル - 2 episodes (no subs)
あじむ ~海岸物語~ - 3 episodes (no subs)
NHK News - 5 articles
Kanji deck: 200 new
Vocab deck: MNN Chuukyuu Ch 1 - 3 plus vocan from KZM N3 Listening

200 more kanji vocabulary and the reviews are around 200 /day and taking under 30 minutes.

I'm still working through 新完全マスター N3 文法 while also getting through みんなの日本語中級.
As I'm going through the latter in detail in tutorials it means that there's little
point in rushing ahead, so I can still put in a reasonable amount of time into 新完全マスター.

dampingwire
Bilingual Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4425 days ago

1185 posts - 1513 votes 

Message 164 of 256
18 March 2014 at 12:09am | IP Logged 
2014-03-16 31h45m

Audio:    14:01
Vocab:     3:41
Reading:   7:23
Grammar:   4:06
Video:     2:34

完全マスターN3文法 - 6 lessons
みんなの日本語中級 - Chapter 2
Films/Series:
タイガー&ドラゴン - 3 episodes
あじむ ~海岸物語~ - 1 episode (no subs)
NHK News - 5 articles
Kanji deck: 150 new

I'm still exceeding my target for kanji vocabulary: as long as I'm not plunged into
heavy reviews (say consistently more than 30m/day) then I'll keep adding at this rate.
There are now under 400 N3 kanji words to work through so I should reach the point
where there are no more to add after that. Once that happens I'll probably bulk SRS
the rest of みんなの日本語中級 I at least and activate that in both the kanji and
vocabulary decks.

I'm still working through 新完全マスター N3 文法 and I'm now near the end of the book. I'll
probably finish within the next fortnight. At that point I think I'll go back to the
beginning and work through it again, this time using Anki to try and drive the points
home as well as working through the exercises and monitoring the results.

dampingwire
Bilingual Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4425 days ago

1185 posts - 1513 votes 

Message 165 of 256
25 March 2014 at 11:41pm | IP Logged 
W/E 2014-03-23 29h23m

Audio:    11:36
Vocab:     3:04
Reading:   7:46
Grammar:   6:35
Video:     0:22

完全マスターN3文法 - 5 lessons
みんなの日本語中級 - Chapter 2
Films/Series:
凪のあすから - 1 episode (no subs)
NHK News - 4 articles
Kanji deck: 250 new

The Anki kanji deck is going well: I miscounted this week and added 250 new kanji
words, but the reviews are still under control. I have just under 200 left to go so I
expect that that will finish in the coming week. I'll consolidate for a week or two and
then start looking through the suspended ones to see whether I should reactivate them
or not. Once the kanji reviews drop to 15/20mins each day then I'll perhaps start to
build up the vocabulary deck by activating more of the みんなの日本語中級 entries.

I've now 新完全マスター N3 文法 completed my first pass through this book. I've decided that
I quite like it after all. If it were my only source of information then I think I'd be
really quite stuck, but as I have other text books and quite a bit of information on
the net, it's not been as tough as it looked a few months ago. I'm now going to work
through the book again from the beginning, but this time I'll supplement it with an
Anki grammar deck which I'll build up as I go along.

I'm managing to work through an NHK News article most days now. I'm not currently
activating any of the vocabulary in Anki but some of it is probably sticking just
through repeated exposure. Actually reading is still jolly slow though.

I've not watched much drama or anime for a few days but I've now lined up 凪のあすから.
I'm going to watch each episode without any subtitles. Then I'm going to follow that up
with watching with Japanese subtitles and working through the vocabulary (using J-subs
as a guide). That's going to mean that my progress through the series is going to be
quite slow, but then I'm not that interested in seeing what happens, just in being able
to understand it! Although I do have a goal of watching 12 series/films by the end of
the year, I think that sucking all the juice out of this one series is probably going
to help me in the long run. Anyway, I have plenty of time to watch however many series
I need to meet my goal by the end of the year. My more immediate goal is to bolster my
comprehension so I can get through the N3 in July.

dampingwire
Bilingual Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4425 days ago

1185 posts - 1513 votes 

Message 166 of 256
26 March 2014 at 12:04am | IP Logged 
W/E 2014-03-23 29h23m

Audio:    11:36
Vocab:     3:04
Reading:   7:46
Grammar:   6:35
Video:     0:22

完全マスターN3文法 - 5 lessons
みんなの日本語中級 - Chapter 2
Films/Series:
NHK News - 4 articles
Kanji deck: 250 new

The Anki kanji deck is going well: I miscounted this week and added 250 new kanji
words, but the reviews are still under control. I have just under 200 left to go so I
expect that that will finish in the coming week. I'll consolidate for a week or two and
then start looking through the suspended ones to see whether I should reactivate them
or not. Once the kanji reviews drop to 15/20mins each day then I'll perhaps start to
build up the vocabulary deck by activating more of the みんなの日本語中級 entries.

I've now 新完全マスター N3 文法 completed my first pass through this book. I've decided
that I quite like it after all. If it were my only source of information then I think
I'd be really quite stuck, but as I have other text books and quite a bit of
information on the net, it's not been as tough as it looked a few months ago. I'm now
going to work through the book again from the beginning, but this time I'll supplement
it with an Anki grammar deck which I'll build up as I go along.

I'm managing to work through an NHK News article most days now. I'm not currently
activating any of the vocabulary in Anki but some of it is probably sticking just
through repeated exposure. Actually reading is still jolly slow though.

I've not watched much drama or anime for a few days but I've now lined up 凪のあすから.
I'm going to watch each episode without any subtitles. Then I'm going to follow that up
with watching with Japanese subtitles and working through the vocabulary (using J-subs
as a guide). That's going to mean that my progress through the series is going to be
quite slow, but then I'm not that interested in seeing what happens, just in being able
to understand it! Although I do have a goal of watching 12 series/films by the end of
the year, I think that sucking all the juice out of this one series is probably going
to help me in the long run. Anyway, I have plenty of time to watch however many series
I need to meet my goal by the end of the year. My more immediate goal is to bolster my
comprehension so I can get through the N3 in July.

dampingwire
Bilingual Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4425 days ago

1185 posts - 1513 votes 

Message 167 of 256
01 April 2014 at 1:29am | IP Logged 
W/E 2014-03-30 33h34m

Audio:    16:00
Vocab:     3:49
Reading:   7:16
Grammar:   5:25
Video:     1:04

完全マスターN3文法 - 2 lessons
みんなの日本語中級 - Chapter 2
Films/Series:
NHK News - 4 articles
Kanji deck: 191 new (all N3 kanji vocab now activated)

The Anki kanji deck is going well: I've now activated all the kanji vocab for N3. The
deck is set to add one new word per day, and I'll leave it that way whilst it is
settling down. At some point I'll go through the suspended words and see if I can learn
those too.

I've now started my second pass through 新完全マスター N3 文法. As I work through it I'm
making sure that my Anki grammar deck is keeping pace. I'm also doing the associated
exercises. I'll keep track of my scores and take a further pass through any sections
where I don't achieve a reasonable score (say 70%).

NHK News reading is now happening at least every other day. I'm going to work on
keeping this going. I'll also probably pick the occasional article and try translate it
fully, just to check that I can understand things.

I am working with 凪のあすから most days, but I'm not ploughing through the story. Instead
I'm focussing on learning the vocabulary well enough that when I re-listen to the
episode I can follow what is going on.

dampingwire
Bilingual Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4425 days ago

1185 posts - 1513 votes 

Message 168 of 256
21 April 2014 at 6:53pm | IP Logged 
W/E 2014-04-06 32h34m

Audio:   13:49
Vocab:    2:58
Reading: 7:01
Grammar: 5:22
Video:    3:24

W/E 2014-04-13 30h49m

Audio:   19:18
Vocab:    2:18
Reading: 3:22
Grammar: 1:03
Video:    4:38

I've been keeping up with NHK News and I've managed to read at least 4 articles each
week. I've yet to achieve a week when I read something on each of 5 separate days, but
if I keep pushing myself I'm sure I'll get there in the end.

In the first of the two weeks for this update I managed to get through some grammar. In
the second week, however, I swung towards finishing the N3 listening book, so the
grammar took a back seat.

I've finished mining JPOD101 Upper Beginner season for sentences and vocabulary, but
I've not activated it in Anki yet. In fact, I'm keeping up with my vocab and kanji
decks but I'm not expanding them at the moment as I'm using the time to watch drama
instead.

Having seen @kraemder make use of subs2srs for his anime, I've decided to give it a go
too. I've run the first 5 episodes of 凪のあすから through it and I've built a deck for
that: 1000+ cards at the moment. As I'm going through I delete cards that are way to
simple or where the sound is badly off. Otherwise I leave the cards in. Separately I'm
mining vocabulary that seems useful in general. I'm keeping the cards in sequence order
(at least as they are presented as new cards) so that I have some idea where I am in
the story. So far so good, but the real proof will be in the comprehension.

I've finished the anime さらい屋五葉 without subs. I've also finished the drama エジソンの母.
I'm going to experiment a little with this one: I'm going to watch each episode with
English subs and then without subs the following day. After that I'll probably run
through the whole series one more time to see what sticks (and what doesn't).

I've decided to stick with drama rather than anime for now, as the vocabulary seems to
be more relevant and the conversations seem to be no more unintelligible. My current
drama is 僕だけのマドンナ.

This discussion contains 256 messages over 32 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version