W/E 2014-11-02 34h40m

Audio:   17:44
Vocab:    6:49
Reading: 2:22
Grammar: 3:06
Video:    5:39

SC Books: book: 0 pages, film: 5h39 but 1h39m tweeted

SC "strict" excess: 0 pages + 11h.

Over the last two weeks I've spent more time on vocabulary in an effort to get the N2
vocab under control. That seems to be happening now. On Thursday I finally completed
the reviews for the vocabulary deck. That has since crept up again, but today I've
completed reviews again, so I think it should be stabilising.

As a result, I've not managed much reading and although I've made a start on 新完全マスタ
ー N2 読解, I've not put enough time into that to make up for the lack of reading.
Still, my goal over the last two weeks has been to get the vocabulary under control, so
now that that's (seemingly) been achieved I should be able to get back on track with
reading and the SC.

Grammar and shadowing have also taken a hit, but they should be easy enough to get back
on track.

The Upper Intermediate S1 lessons during the commute are becoming clearer. I don't have
much chance to concentrate hard on the lessons during the commute, but the repetition
seems to make more and more of the presenters' chit-chat understandable each time
through. So I think sticking with season 1 for now seems to be a good idea.

1 person has voted this message useful

dampingwire
Bilingual Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4446 days ago

1185 posts - 1513 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian*, French
Studies: Japanese

Message 195 of 256
11 November 2014 at 10:50pm | IP Logged 
W/E 2014-11-09 36h57m

Audio:   13:48
Vocab:    4:20
Reading: 5:43
Grammar: 4:58
Video:    8:08

SC Books: book: 4 pages, film: 8h08 but 1h38m tweeted

SC "strict" excess: 0 pages + 6h30m.

I've started to read イタリア幻想曲, but as I'm reading intensively I'm only going through
a few pages at a time. That's OK as I want to have a reasonable grasp of what's going
on (at least at the start) so it will help me out when I start to read more
extensively.

I've also started to work though 新完全マスター N2 読解, which, to be honest, I'm finding
quite tough. My plan is to work through the first set of exercises and produce some
rough translations and go over them with my tutor. Hopefully that will set me on the
right path.

I've been watching quite a lot of drama and anime over this week as I've found them
reasonably interesting.

I dabbled a little with grammar but quite a bit of it was related to grammar already
covered so that went quite smoothly.

The JPOD101 Upper Intermediate Season 1 lessons that I'm listening to in the car are
proving to be quite useful. Obviously I'm repeating all 25 over and over again, but I'm
picking up a little more of the chit-chat each time around. I know that shoudln't be
too surprising, but I did think it would never happen :-)

As a side project, I've also finished mining the bits of DOIJG that I've found for
vocabulary. I've not yet entered it into Anki, but I will soon. In addition I've been
mining 新完全マスター N2 文法 and 新完全マスター N2 読解 as I go through them. overall that
seems to be about 1500 additional words so far. (That may be an over-estimate though as
I'm mining anything that I think I don't already know, so any duplicates will
eventually be weeded out by the import into Anki). I'll give the vocabulary deck
another week or so to settle down and then start (gently) on the new vocabulary and
open up the kanji deck too.

EDIT: Fix 8m of lost reading time!

Edited by dampingwire on 11 November 2014 at 10:52pm

dampingwire
Bilingual Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4446 days ago

1185 posts - 1513 votes 

Message 196 of 256
17 November 2014 at 11:01pm | IP Logged 

W/E 2014-11-16 41h39m

Audio:   21:10
Vocab:    3:53
Reading: 5:18
Grammar: 4:52
Video:    6:26

SC Books: book: 8 pages, film: 6h26 but 3h46m tweeted

SC "strict" excess: 0 pages + 3h50m.

I managed to fit in quite a bit this week, partly because the roads have been bad and
that's made the commute longer. Partly also because I've been able to get up 30m
earlier and do some anki work, leaving the evenings free for books and video.

I finally managed to sit down and do some shadowing. So far I'm 10 lessons into LI S5.
With a bit of concerted effort I should be able to get to the end of S5 by the end of
November.

I've also managed to complete up to 新完全マスター N2 文法 Chapter 18. About half of the
grammar points I've seen before somewhere or are closely related to points I have
already covered.

The book I'm reading, イタリア幻想曲, looks interesting but is quite hard work. When I get
to the end of Chapter 1, I'm going to re-read something easier (or maybe try Read Real
Japanese) before I move on. I have, however, managed to work through 新完全マスター N2 読
解 for just over 3 hours this week. This one's quite hard too: hopefully I'll be able
to clear up my early difficulties with my tutor this week. I do have 日本語総まとめ 読解,
which looks to be much easier, at least at the start, so I'll probably try to work that
into my schedule too.

I've finished watching ノワール and 崖っぷちのエリー. I've moved on to のだめカンタービレ フィナ
ーレ and 安堂ロイド~, with episodes of アカメが斬る! thrown in as they become available. I'm
not sure I could recommend any of these if you can actually understand Japanese, but
they do seem to be slightly easier to understand than some of the others I've watched.

RTK is back under control and I'm being careful to review every day and to write out
the kanji by hand. I had noticed that I was letting my reviews bunch up, which meant a
longish session to clear out the backlog and that encouraged me to rush through and
just "think" I'd got the write kanji. Now that I've gone back to handwriting kanji, I
can't fool myself quite so easily!

Edited by dampingwire on 24 November 2014 at 10:11pm

dampingwire
Bilingual Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4446 days ago

1185 posts - 1513 votes 

Message 197 of 256
24 November 2014 at 10:25pm | IP Logged 

W/E 2014-11-23 36h58m

Audio:   18:59
Vocab:    3:14
Reading: 2;28
Grammar: 4:24
Video:    7:53

SC Books: book: 8 pages, film: 7h53 but 4h03m tweeted.

SC "strict" excess: 0 pages + 0h00m.

On the plus side I've now reached the point where I've "corrected" my SC bot results
(by omitting some allowable watching that I have done to eliminate some watching that I
had originally logged but which I think doesn't meet the spirit of the original
challenge).

Another item on the plus side of the ledger is that anki has settled down and, as soon
as I can work out how to do it efficiently, I'll expand my kanji deck to include all
the N2 vocabulary and then begin to allow new kanji vocab in, slowly.

A final entry on the plus side is that I've nearly finished shadowing JPOD101 LI season
5. In fact, I should be able to finish it off tonight, all being well.

On the debit side is that I've let reading slip. I didn't event manage to work through
enough 読解 to meet my alternative reading target. I'll have to try to do better this
week. I'm going to re-read some graded readers once more and hopefully kick-start my
reading again that way.

As for grammar, I know I've met my November goal as I've already completed Chapter 21
of 新完全マスター N2 文法.

dampingwire
Bilingual Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4446 days ago

1185 posts - 1513 votes 

Message 198 of 256
17 December 2014 at 12:59am | IP Logged 
I seem to have forgotten to update for several weeks, so here goes.

W/E 2014-11-30 35h28m

Audio:   19:08
Vocab:    2:53
Reading: 5:52
Grammar: 4:30
Video:    3:05

SC: reading 59 pages, watching: 3:05

W/E 2014-12-07 36h09m

Audio: 17:48
Vocab:   3:04
Reading: 7:01
Grammar: 3:57
Video:   4:19

SC: reading 74 pages, watching: 4:19

W/E 2014-12-14 28h57m

Audio:   13:34
Vocab:    2:48
Reading: 6:53
Grammar: 1:50
Video:    3:52

SC: reading 68 pages, watching: 3h52

Overall studying has been going well (apart from updating this log :-)).

I'm finding it quite enjoyable to listen to the Upper Intermediate season 1 lessons again and
again. I did worry that it might become tedious, but in fact, as I'm getting to know the lessons
more each time through, I'm able to extract a little more every time.

I'm now prioritising reading over watching, so my reading times are increasing but obviously that
leaves less time for drama and anime.

I've just tackled another reading from 新完全マスター N2 読解, in preparation for tomorrow's lesson,
and it didn't go at all badly. (Well, I'll know tomorrow how it really went, but for now I'm
pleased).

I've already shadowed as much as I expected to manage this month, but I'm going to keep going. I
think I'd like to shadow the whole of UI S2 (not by the end of this month though!) before I start
to listen to S2 as I'd like to see how that compares to the way I've tackled S1 (which is
essentially the other way around).

Anki and RTK are progressing well and I'm making my way through 新完全マスター N2 文法 slowly (I still
need to tackle part I Chapter D soon). I've also mined all that I can find of DOBJG and DOIJG for
vocabulary.

dampingwire
Bilingual Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4446 days ago

1185 posts - 1513 votes 

Message 199 of 256
24 December 2014 at 10:44am | IP Logged 
W/E 2014-12-21 39h28m

Audio:   17:21
Vocab:    2:10
Reading: 7:30
Grammar: 4:01
Video:    8:26

SC: reading 50 pages, watching: 8h26m.

I seem to have done more this week than it felt I was getting done during the week.

I had my first tutorial in three weeks (and my last of the year too). Working through
one reading from 新完全マスター N2 読解 went better than I had expected and みんなの日本語中級
hadn't completely slipped away either.

On the video front, the J-Drama I was watching, ビブリア古書堂の事件手帖, finished so I
moved on to 進撃の巨人 (Attack on Titan) which has been quite interesting and accounts
for the higher than expected hours watched.

For my reading I've been working through a bilingual text, Japanese Short Stories. I
think I'm going to re-read this (or bits of it) again, this time working through
perhaps one story intensively and then reading a few more stories extensively (but with
the help of the translation). In the same way that the graded readers are now quite
straightforward, this book has become, if not easy, then easier.

I'm up to section D of 新完全マスター N2 文法, but I've yet to complete it. Normally there
would be plenty of time between now and the end of the month, but Christmas looms
large!

dampingwire
Bilingual Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4446 days ago

1185 posts - 1513 votes 

Message 200 of 256
30 December 2014 at 2:52pm | IP Logged 
W/E 2014-12-28 25h03m

Audio:    6:30
Vocab:    3:03
Reading: 8:21
Grammar: 2:15
Video:    4:54

SC: reading 64 pages, watching: 4h54m.

It's the holidays so not a great deal to report. As I'm not commuting, the time I've spent
listening to audio has been cut considerably compared to a normal work week.

I've come to the end of both 進撃の巨人 and アカメが斬る!. To fill the gap I've started a new drama, 野豬
大改造 and I'm also re-watching ビブリア古書堂の事件手帖, this time around with subtitles.

I'm still working my way through 新完全マスター N2 文法 Chapter D: it covers a relatively large number
of uses for もの and こと, so it's taking me some time to get them all straight in my head. Hopefully
I'll manage to finish it off in the next few days.

For my reading, I'm mostly looking at Japanese Short Stories. I have been reading it and
using the accompanying translation to keep track of what is going on, but I'm now working through a
few of the stories intensively, gathering vocabulary and looking at the grammar used. I'll switch
back to something simpler in a day or so and work on the new vocabulary for a few days in Anki
before re-reading the stories to see if they become any easier to follow.

This discussion contains 256 messages over 32 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version