SC: reading 133 pages, watching: 1h32m.

W/E 2015-09-13 45h47m

Audio:      17:00
Vocab:       0:44
Reading:    20:12
Grammar:     4:35
Video:      3:16

SC: reading 192 pages, watching: 1h10m.

Over the last two weeks I've put all my spare time into reading. That includes last Friday, when I took a day off to
get some work done in the house but, as not everything was in place at the right time, I found myself with spare time
on my hands and spent it all reading (about 4 hours in total with a book in my hands). That now leaves me with ~350
pages to complete the super challenge: quite a change from just a few months ago when I thought I'd fall well short.
As it is, there was a power cut at work today, so I'm another 20 pages nearer now :-)

My video watching has already passed the SC goal twice over, so now that time is mostly being spent "intensively"
watching drama that I've already watched before. It's taken me something over 4-1/2 hours to get through the first
45 minute episode of ミス・パイロット. I don't have a target for when I'll complete the series but as long as I manage
at least a few hours of "intensive" watching each week, then I'll be happy. I certainly can't say that I understand
and can "hear" everything in the episode now even though I've watched each scene so many times, but I can understand
a good deal more than I could before, so that's progress!

I've now transcribed a second dialogue from JPOD101 UI S4, and it went quite smoothly. Handwriting the text and then
rewriting in an editor seems to be quite a bit quicker than trying to get the first pass done in an editor: the first
dialogue took me 1-1/2 hours to transcribe and correct, whereas the second one took about 1 hour.

I'm now working through 新完全マスター N2 文法 – Part 1 from the beginning, briefly reviewing the grammar and then trying the
exercises. It takes a while to get the exercises done, but it does seem to drive home the grammar points more forcefully,
at least in the short term. I'll probably have to pick up the pace if I want to get to the end (for the second time around)
by December, but I can wait to do that once I get the SC reading finished.

I'm probably about half-way through 新完全マスター N2 聴解 but I've realised (belatedly, as usual) that I should have been
keeping more comprehensive notes on the hints they offer (for easier review shortly before the exam) and also on the problems
I encounter (so I can get them sorted out during my tutorials). So now I'm doing that and I'll do a quick "review" pass
of the first half once I get to the end.

My previous efforts with 新完全マスター N2 読解 had stalled just a few pages in (20 or so, iirc). I'll definitely make some
time for it once I finish the SC reading.

My watching of ふるさと再生 日本の昔ばなし has slowed down (although not completely stopped) as the intensive watching has taken over.
Rather than just watch folk tales, I will want to start a new series. I've had a quick go with the first episode of ロングバケーション,
but I didn't think too much of it, so I think it will go on the back burner and I'll pick something else this week (it's not like
there's a shortage!).

1 person has voted this message useful

dampingwire
Bilingual Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4446 days ago

1185 posts - 1513 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian*, French
Studies: Japanese

Message 226 of 256
23 September 2015 at 11:42pm | IP Logged 
W/E 2015-09-20 46h22m

Audio:      16:49
Vocab:       2:40
Reading:    20:17
Grammar:     4:31
Video:       2:05

SC: reading 205 pages, watching: none.

I'm still pushing on with the reading. In fact, if I have any spare time reading is my first choice of
activity. I have managed to fit in the other things I want to get done, but I've more or less done just enough
to meet the targets that I've set for myself and then it's back to extensive reading. I'm hoping to be able to
keep the reading up for the next few weeks and finish the Super Challenge (and, hopefully, the book).

I've started to go through 新完全マスター N2 文法, working through the exercises. I'm also going through the
(Japanese) explanations of the grammar points and enhancing my own notes at the same time.

I found another N2 vocabulary list on the net and I've gone through it picking out words and phrases that I
didn't immediately recognise, and I've thrown those into Anki.

I had hoped to make more progress through 新完全マスター N2 聴解, but the reading has taken priority. I have,
however, moved onto intensive listening to episode 2 of ミス・パイロット, so listening isn't being entirely
neglected.

The transcribing is continuing, although I think I'll add more shadowing to the mix, to try to improve my
recognition of the dialogues as I continue to listen to lessons during the commute.

I think that as soon as I slow down on the reading (a little) I'll try to push harder with vocabulary through
Anki. I don't like to spend more than 30 minutes at most in a single Anki session, so I think I'll try one
review in the morning and another in the evening to break them up but increase the overall time and hence the
amount of vocabulary that I can get through. Hopefully 新完全マスター N2 文法, 聴解 and 読解 will provide plenty
of reinforcement.

dampingwire
Bilingual Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4446 days ago

1185 posts - 1513 votes 

Message 227 of 256
06 October 2015 at 12:56am | IP Logged 
W/E 2015-09-27 43h24m

Audio:      15:04
Vocab:       1:37
Reading:    19:28
Grammar:     5:12
Video:       2:03

SC: reading 181 pages, watching: none.

W/E 2015-10-04 38h13m

Audio:      15:29
Vocab:       1:00
Reading:    12:23
Grammar:     6:54
Video:       2:27

SC: reading 88 pages, watching: 1h07m

My main achievement over the last two weeks has, I suppose, to complete the Super Challenge. I certainly didn't think when I
started it that I could finish the reading side, and certainly not a few months early. I still can't read anything harder than a
graded reader for enjoyment, but I'll keep working on that.

I've also finished my first pass through 新完全マスター N2 聴解. I plan to through again, this time taking more detailed notes.
I've found that the hints and tips that it offers are often very useful. In addition, on a few occasions it has pointed out
weaknesses in my understanding of various grammar points.

I'm progressing through 新完全マスター N2 文法, chapter by chapter. I'm back up to Part 1, #13 now. I plan to push on through, not
necessarily strictly in order, working through the exercises up until perhaps a few weeks before the JLPT. Then I'll work go
back and concentrate on those grammar points with which I'm having particular difficulties (assuming that they seem to be
reasonably common points, of course).

As I'm now easing off reading novels, I'm going to pick up 新完全マスター N2 読解 where I left off and work out the pace I need to
work at in order finish by the end of November.

One thing that has slipped back in all the rush-to-reading is watching drama. I'm going to continue my intensive watching but
I'll sprinkle in some normal drama and anime watching too. I also need to decide whether to continue transcribing the UI lessons
or try transcribing some of the Advanced Audio Blog lessons: the advantage (or disadvantage?) of the latter is that I've never
listened to them before.

I'm just back now from my weekly tutorial. My tutor will be away next week and then off to Japan for a few weeks shortly after
that. So I have about 4 more sessions before I sit the JLPT. I'd like to make use of some of that time to go over some JLPT-like
papers that I've found, see how I get on and then clear up the problems during tutorials.

dampingwire
Bilingual Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4446 days ago

1185 posts - 1513 votes 

Message 228 of 256
13 October 2015 at 12:46am | IP Logged 
W/E 2015-10-11 39h23m

Audio:      13:48
Vocab:       0:22
Reading:    14:56
Grammar:     6:22
Video:       3:55

SC: reading 106 pages, watching: 1h50m

Although I've finished the Super Challenge, I'll still be tracking my progress until I reach the end of the book I'm currently reading.
That should happen in the next week or two.

As JLPT N2 looms, I'm probably going to ease off on the 新完全マスター N2 文法 work and pick up the 聴解 and 読解 instead. Additionally I'm
going to keep going with the transcribing and intensive watching.

I would also like to find the time to try some mock tests earlier rather than later: I want to leave plenty of time for correcting
problem areas rather than trying to pack it all into the last few weeks.

I've been adding 5 sentences a day to my Anki deck but I've been pushing much harder on the kanji vocabulary. For that I've been trying
to add 50 entries per day. That seems quite ambitious and will sooner or later provoke a wave of reviews, but for the moment it's not
too bad. The reviews of the deck are taking about 30 minutes per day and activating the additional words takes maybe another 15 minutes.
I've decided to keep this pace up for as long as I can get the reviews completed on the previous day. If I fail I'll either cut back on
the new entries for one day or I'll stop them completely. So far today has been the first day I've not added any new words, and that's
just because it's been a tiring day at work. If I can keep up the current rate then I should get through all the entries that are tagged
"N2" by sometime in the 2nd week of November.

I'll use the results of the mock tests to decide which of vocabulary, grammar, reading and listening need the most work.

solaren
United States
Joined 3318 days ago

36 posts - 42 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Japanese

Message 229 of 256
26 October 2015 at 11:49pm | IP Logged 
Would you mind sharing the curriculum you've followed up to this point in your Japanese
learning? I know you've mentioned using Jpod101 in the past. Was this your main study
method? I'm interested to know what you've tried and what has worked for you up to this
point. Thanks!

dampingwire
Bilingual Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4446 days ago

1185 posts - 1513 votes 

Message 230 of 256
27 October 2015 at 1:03am | IP Logged 
I started out using Michel Thomas and Pimsleur during my daily commute to get an idea of what was involved.

I realised early on that I wanted to avoid romaji and so I hit a few websites and learned hiragana and katakana.
For the Kanji, I went to http://kanji.koohii.com/ and in less than 6 months I worked through the ~2000 daily-use
kanji. Not everyone likes the Heisig method bt I found that it helped me recognise the kanji and, later on, it
helped me with learning vocabulary.

For vocabulary I used Memrise, where I found some beginner courses
(days of the week, days of the month etc) and then started to work through some of the JLPT courses (although
at that stage I hadn't yet decided to take any of the tests). I don't really use memrise much any more,
I've pretty much sswitched over entirely to anki.

For grammar I started out with Tae Kim.

I picked up a grammar book early on, but it really wasn't that helpful. I also went through the very few
Japanese course books in the local library, but they didn't take me very far.

A few months in, almost by accident, I found a tutor. She recommended Minna No Nihongo, and I've been using
that series with her ever since. I've seen Japanese for Busy People and I think I'd've been fine with that one
too. If I hadn't found a tutor then I think JfBP would have been an easier introduction to Japanese: MNN is
all in Japanese (at least, the main text book is).

Some time later I persuaded my company to get me a subscription to JapanesePOD101.com and I started to work
through the various series. I'm still using it now. Usually I'll listen to the lessons during the commute. At
some convenient point I'll work through the lesson in detail and try shadowing the dialog. I'll keep listening
to the lessons on a loop during the commute and, eventually I switch to just listening to the dialogs (which
are pure Japanese and, being much shorter, loop around much more quickly). Now that I'm working on the Upper
Intermediate lessons, I loop through each series many, many times (perhaps a month or so of each season) as
at this level even the lesson is largely in Japanese. I've started to transcribe the Advanced lessons: I'll
listen to a dialog and then write it out in Japanese (listening repeatedly as required). Then I compare that
against the supplied transcript.

Shortly after finding a tutor I decided that I needed more structure to my learning and started to work
towards taking the JLPT exams. That meant I needed to pick up certain vocabulary, learn certain grammar
and make much more of an effort with listening comprehension.

Since then I've been carrying on in much the same vein. I think, in retrospect, that I should have started
to use native material (video and Japanese websites, like NHK News) earlier. I should also have put more
effort into watching intensively (i.e. rewinding and watching scenes again and again as needed) rather than
just letting it all wash over me, as I did at the start.

So I don't think that there has been that much of a method, just multiple parallel strands:

o anki for vocabulary
o J-drama and anime for listening comprehension
o various Kanzen Master textbooks for JLPT
o Minna No Nihongo for a secondary grammar track

As for what worked, then I guess that depends on your definition or "worked" :-)

Michel Thomas and Pimsleur both got me started on the bottom rung of the ladder. Neither get you very far,
but they do get you going. Plus they were in the library, so it would have been churlish not to work through
them.

anki does what it says on the tin. If you can keep it going then it will drill vocab into your head. I've kept
going and it has done that for me. Using it is another matter though.

Watching native Japanese materials has been very helpful. I think it would have been even more helpful if I'd
started earlier and put more effort into some "intensive" watching. I have used subs2srs, but not very extensively.

The JLPT exams are very useful for keeping me on track. They are probably less useful if you just want to be able to
speak. I think I've explained to my tutor twice now that there is no spoken component and all the answers are multiple
choice. I'm not sure if she doesn't believe me or she just thinks I keep forgetting to turn up for part of the exam :-)
Regardless of the usefulness of the exams for learning, I'm finding them useful for reminding me to get on with some
studying!

Working through a textbook, especially with a tutor, has kept me progressing. It was tough at the start, and it's
continued to be tough, but it is very rewarding to look back on things that seemed very confusing just six months
ago only to find that now they seem natural.

2 persons have voted this message useful

kraemder
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4965 days ago

1497 posts - 1648 votes 
Studies: German, Spanish, Japanese

Message 231 of 256
27 October 2015 at 1:16am | IP Logged 
Impressive. I think you took a more structured, logical approach to this than I did. I was so afraid of the writing system
going in that I almost didn't start at all. Then when I did, I thought I'd be fine with romaji. Then after that, I figured just
kana and katakana. Then I finally realized I wouldn't be satisfied without learning their writing system in its entirety.
Since I decided I was going to Japan for an extended stay, I've been -much- more motivated about watching native
material without subs. I don't do much rewinding and rewatching but I am trying very hard to understand everything as
I go since I know from experience it's easy for words I know or studied at the very least (even if I know "know" them) to
go over my head. If you're signed up for the JLPT this December I suppose you could pass the N2 before I do - 羨まし
い! I like your blog though because it seems so consistent which is motivating.

solaren
United States
Joined 3318 days ago

36 posts - 42 votes
Studies: Spanish, Japanese

Message 232 of 256
27 October 2015 at 5:46am | IP Logged 
Thanks for the detailed post dampingwire. Its nice to get input from people who are further
ahead in their study.

You mentioned that you think you could have gotten into native materials sooner than you did.
I'm interested to hear at what point you think that would have been most beneficial. Like
yourself, I'm also using jpod101 as a main study tool. It just seems to work for me. I'm
supplementing it with textbooks I have on hand and I'm also working my way through RTK.

Right now I'm close to making the jump from newbie to beginner series. I can listen and
comprehend NS 2,3,4 and I'm just finishing the Particles season. I'm going to do NS 5 for the
next couple of weeks for the casual speech practice. At what point do you think native
material would be more beneficial than focusing on jpod content?

Thanks!

This discussion contains 256 messages over 32 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version