United Kingdom
Joined 4450 days ago

1185 posts - 1513 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian*, French
Studies: Japanese

Message 17 of 256
04 June 2012 at 6:34pm | IP Logged 
28hr this week.

I didn't manage anything at all on Tae Kim this week. Memrise and RTK are still just
ticking over.

Most of my time went into Pimsleur and the NHK lessons. The Pimsleur review has reached
#16 of Pimsleur II and I realise that I need to go over much of Pimsleur II again even
after this review. So I'm going to switch to some other audio and spend some time going
back over the whole of Pimsleur (using transcripts) to SRS both the vocabulary and some
(maybe all) the complete sentences. The NHK lessons I'll keep going through for now but
I'll definitely need to SRS the vocabulary from these too (there's a full transcript so
that should be pretty easy).

I had my first lesson with my 先生 this week and, true to her word, she made me speak.
I didn't speak very well, but at least I did manage to say some things that she
understood. More conversation to come this week and then it's on to "Minna no Nihongo".

I also took out a one year premium subscription to JapanesePOD101.com. I started to
tediously save away the audio and lessons for the beginner course. I'd go to about
lesson #20 of the #170 they have (in the first season ...) when they sent an email with
details of their iTunes feed. So I'm now approximately 8000 files and 23GiB better off
:-)

I need to sort out that monster feed into seasons (such as "Beginner Season 1" etc.)
and do some tidying up and checking. I'll probably start with one of the short
"beginner" seasons and put the audio on my MP3 player. They also provide separate
"dialogue" audio for some lessons, which seems to be just the Japanese vocabulary. So
once I've worked though a set of lessons, I'll move over to using just the dialogue, I
suppose. It's clearly going to take me some time to work through all of the lessons!

Edited by dampingwire on 04 June 2012 at 6:34pm

1 person has voted this message useful

dampingwire
Bilingual Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4450 days ago

1185 posts - 1513 votes 

Message 18 of 256
11 June 2012 at 5:58pm | IP Logged 
Just over 23h this week.

Now at 450 Kanji. Memrise is still ticking over. I put a few hours into watering
everything this week (in two sessions) and I'm back up to date.

Very little Tae Kim got done this week: basically just one lesson.

Most of my time has gone into sorting the JPOD101 feed. I've organised everything into
seasons but there's so much there that I'll only check things over in detail as I work
through each season. I've been through the audio of "Newbie Season 1" and started on
season 2. I'm ahead of where these are pitched, but I though it would be useful to
review the basics. It's turned out better than I expected. I was a little worried that
I'd find the presenters a tad annoying (mostly they're not) and that the pace would be
too slow (it isn't fast but it does seem to be useful review). I expect that I'll
polish off Newbie Season 2 this week and move on to the Beginner stage (as opposed to
the Absolute Beginner stage that I've started with). The first beginner season has 170
episodes, so it'll be interesting to see where that takes me over the next few weeks.

dampingwire
Bilingual Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4450 days ago

1185 posts - 1513 votes 

Message 19 of 256
14 June 2012 at 12:53am | IP Logged 
Just noting that this evening I've reached the 500 kanji milestone.

So, ~25% of the way through ... is that :-) or :-( ... ???

kraemder
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4969 days ago

1497 posts - 1648 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Spanish, Japanese

Message 20 of 256
14 June 2012 at 1:02am | IP Logged 
The 500 mark is good. The more you study the more you recognize anytime you look at Japanese text and it's a really nice feeling.

fortheo
United States
Joined 4821 days ago

187 posts - 222 votes 
Studies: French

Message 21 of 256
14 June 2012 at 1:55am | IP Logged 
Looks like you took a similar approach as me, except it seems to be working better for you!

I too did pimsleur, michel thomas, and RTK at the same time with the majority of my focus on the audio lessons. When I finished the audio lessons I was only about 1000 kanji into RTK and I went to start some grammar and reading exercises. At this point I still came across a large amount of kanji I had not seen in RTK yet. The perfectionist in me got upset and forced me to focus on solely kanji for a while ( which i am still somewhat doing )

You seem to be doing much better in comparison though, but just be prepared to either
A. Focus solely on kanji for a bit.
B. Ditch Heisig in favor of learning kanji in context.. Or
C. Learn kanji in context while going through RTK

I keep switching between A. and C.

good luck! btw the pdf's that go with Japanese pods lessons are very useful.

kraemder
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4969 days ago

1497 posts - 1648 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Spanish, Japanese

Message 22 of 256
14 June 2012 at 10:08pm | IP Logged 
I don't know how well its working for me compared to you heh. I haven't looked at iPod in a while. I
guess i thought they were pretty expensive for no real 1 on 1 and it seems like they advertise you to
death. Did they turn off the ads for you when you became a paid subscriber?

dampingwire
Bilingual Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4450 days ago

1185 posts - 1513 votes 

Message 23 of 256
14 June 2012 at 10:50pm | IP Logged 
SO far JPOD's going OK for me. I'm going to work through the mammoth 170-lesson Season
1 now. I can get through maybe 10 in a day at this level (they're mostly pretty easy so
far, as you would expect). The 1 year premium subscription is $180; that gets me 20+G
of mp3 and kanji. I probably won't go through too many of the beginner lessons more
than once, but they also provide dialog mp3 files. Those look like they could provide
quite a bit of useful listening material for review during the commute. Once I get far
enough, the Advanced section has a bunch of blogs with transcripts. If $180 gets to to
the point that I can start understanding (some) native material a year from now(like
FNN, for example) then it'll be well worth it. If it doesn't take me that far, I'll
console myself with the thought that I'll be expensing it through my employer :-)

As for ads, I don't know which ones you mean. Each podcast starts and ends with a
standard "visit our website" spiel and they mention their sponsor once. So far I use
the website only to track my progress (i.e. which lessons I've not only listened to the
audio but also been through the PDFs).

They do seem to have other aids there (to help with kanji, for example, so I may start
to make more use of that as time progresses.

dampingwire
Bilingual Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4450 days ago

1185 posts - 1513 votes 

Message 24 of 256
16 June 2012 at 10:07am | IP Logged 
kraemder wrote:
The 500 mark is good. The more you study the more you recognize
anytime you look at Japanese text and it's a really nice feeling.

It certainly is. I've just peeked ahead at 552 and, lo and behold, it's part of "friend".

I think I'm going to dig out one of those "kanji by frequency" lists and SRS the top 100
(or as many as I don't already know) separately to RTK. Or maybe I should just mine
Pimsleur and JPOD for sentences and find new kanji that way.

Wouldn't life be so much more efficient with a 36 hour day :-)

This discussion contains 256 messages over 32 pages: << Prev 1 24 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version