Norway
brunugle.wordpress.c
Joined 6407 days ago

1292 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*, NorwegianC1
Studies: Japanese, Esperanto, Spanish, Finnish

Message 49 of 256
28 August 2012 at 8:59pm | IP Logged 
Ah! Now I suddenly realized why I thought I'd read your log before. I confused your names "dampingwire" and "rewire."
1 person has voted this message useful

atama warui
Triglot
Japan
Joined 4488 days ago

594 posts - 985 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, Japanese

Message 50 of 256
28 August 2012 at 9:09pm | IP Logged 
Grats on finishing Heisig.
I never made it - always fell asleep. :)
Gonna try again some day. Maybe when I'm really desperate and need all the help I can get, next year, when I move to Japan.

dampingwire
Bilingual Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4452 days ago

1185 posts - 1513 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian*, French
Studies: Japanese

Message 51 of 256
04 September 2012 at 10:36pm | IP Logged 
W/E 2012-09-02 19h

Kanji reviews now at about ~30m per day (usually first thing in the morning, before
coffee!). 69 entries in bucket #1.

Just one more season of JPOD101 to go (the Upper Beginner one).

I'm only up to Chapter 8 of Minna No Nihongo. My tutor put me through the last part of
the N5 prep stuff and I'm still recovering :-) I've been working through that more
slowly, trying to pick up any missing vocabulary and trying to work out which bits of
grammar I'm missing. I've noticed an N5 grammar section on JPOD101 so I'll tackle that
soon.

Memrise is going quite smoothly now. I'm keeping the N5 garden watered and occasionally
visiting the other ones. The kanji are beginning to stick now, although I've yet to
switch to writing them down when required (rather than typing in kana and letting IME
switch for me). I've not started N4 yet.

This coming week looks pretty busy so I don't think I'm going to get very far with
anything. JPLT N5 registration day is looming so I need to decide (along with my tutor)
whether I should sit it in December or wait till July.

dampingwire
Bilingual Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4452 days ago

1185 posts - 1513 votes 

Message 52 of 256
04 September 2012 at 10:39pm | IP Logged 
BTW, has anyone tried out this book:

http://shop.whiterabbitjapan.com/japanese-language/jlptn5/th e-preparatory-course-for-the-
jlpt-n5-yomu-learn-kanji-vocabulary-grammar-important-forms- of-speech-and-conversational-
expressions.html

"The Preparatory Course for the JLPT N5, Yomu: Learn Kanji, Vocabulary, Grammar,
Important Forms of Speech and Conversational Expressions".

I hear contradictory opinions. Can anyone remember what it's like to be down at sub-N5?
:-)

g-bod
Diglot
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5769 days ago

1485 posts - 2002 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: French, German

Message 53 of 256
04 September 2012 at 11:18pm | IP Logged 
Hmm, the same people published a set of three books for the N3 level, covering listening, reading and grammar. The listening book and the reading book were by far the best books I could find at that level. I struggled to work with the grammar book, but to be honest I struggled to find a rhythm for preparing the grammar section anyway. On the other hand, I learned a lot of useful stuff from the reading and listening books beyond simple exam preparation. I can't speak for the N5 book, having never used it, but on the whole I think their JLPT materials are some of the better quality ones out there.

dampingwire
Bilingual Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4452 days ago

1185 posts - 1513 votes 

Message 54 of 256
11 September 2012 at 11:33pm | IP Logged 
g-bod wrote:
I can't speak for the N5 book, having never used it, but on the whole I
think their JLPT materials are some of the better quality ones out there.

Thanks for the input. Given the limited amount of time I have until December, plus the
need to get through Minna No Nihongo by then (plus some of the JPOD101 grammar + JLPT
lessons), I'm not going to have time to start a new book and make reasonable use of it.

Of course, come January I may find I do have time :-) But hopefully it won't come to
that.

dampingwire
Bilingual Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4452 days ago

1185 posts - 1513 votes 

Message 55 of 256
11 September 2012 at 11:39pm | IP Logged 
W/E 2012-09-09, 23h.

Kanji reviews @ ~35m and box #1 is at 59 cards, so something must be sticking.

Memrise is chugging along. I really will start the N4 vocab course soon :-)

I've started to work through Minna No Nihongo more systematically now. I've briefly run
through the grammar sections and summarised them (electronically). I'm going to go
through them between now and the end of September and expand the notes as required.
After that I'll run through each chapter fully (both the Japanese book and the English
grammar description), although that will probably take me until November to get done.

I've now started to repeat some of the JPOD101 seasons, and there seems to be some
meaning managing to penetrate the fog, at least some times! I'll probably pick a
specific point in a season soon and start to work through the lesson notes
systematically and then repeat those lessons to see if that helps keep things in my
head more efficiently.

Just a few more years of slog and I'll be able to watch simple anime :-)

dampingwire
Bilingual Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4452 days ago

1185 posts - 1513 votes 

Message 56 of 256
18 September 2012 at 9:02am | IP Logged 
W/E 2012-09-16 21h45m

Kanji reviews ~30m, ~65 in box #1.

Memrise still ticking over with the relevant gardens being kept watered.

Still listening to JPOD101 audio every day; I've picked on Beginner Season 4 and I'm
now repeating its 50 lessons. I'll keep repeating it until I think I understand most of
what's going on first time through.

I'm now working through the Minna No Nihongo grammar in detail. I'm up to Chapter 13
so far and it mostly makes sense.

This discussion contains 256 messages over 32 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 68 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version