Norway
lang-8.com/448715
Joined 4655 days ago

629 posts - 813 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, EnglishC2, German
Studies: Japanese, Spanish

Message 57 of 256
18 September 2012 at 10:33am | IP Logged 
Congratulations with finishing Heisig. I did that myself a few weeks ago and today I
only had 88 reviews. Also, you should look into adding Japanese words to your keywords,
like this:

Music たの・しい 音がく

This helps when dealing with similar keywords! ;)

And this list might help you filter out some hard-to-remember, ultra-rare kanji
1001-2042-end/">Clicky

EDIT: I give up... google "filtering out remembering the kanji flaws"

Edited by stifa on 18 September 2012 at 10:35am

1 person has voted this message useful

dampingwire
Bilingual Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4447 days ago

1185 posts - 1513 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian*, French
Studies: Japanese

Message 58 of 256
20 September 2012 at 12:59pm | IP Logged 
stifa wrote:

Also, you should look into adding Japanese words to your keywords,

I'm thinking about that although for a different reason. I've started to keep my notes
electronically, in the form of web pages on a local server in the house. Less clutter
than keeping notebooks :-) So I want to include kana and kanji, but writing them
directly into the html source means I'm no longer 8-bit clean. It's easy enough to
write a simple filter that can turn strings of (roomaji) kana into the correct unicode
html for hiragana and katakana. Doing the same for kanji requires a keyword per kanji
(so, for example, "hon" becomes 本 (that's ampersand-hash-x672c-comma, in case it
looks like a kanji when reading this). I've found one list on the web, but if there are
any pointers for a generally agreed upon set, that would be helpful.

stifa wrote:
And this list might help you filter out some hard-to-remember, ultra-rare
kanji

I'm using the Reviewing the Kanji website and going through to mark all of those kanji
so that they do not crop up would take more effort than occasionally having to remember
one. Furthermore, a few of them (e.g. sign-of-the-bird) do crop up in all sorts of
compounds, so it's really almost no effort to remember those too.

My daughter has suggested that we should make a start on mandarin when she's back in
the country next summer. I'm not sure she's entirely serious, but I do like the idea of
trying Mandarin at some point, in which case 2000-3000 kanji would be a nice head start
on the ~10000 hanzi that I would probably need to master sooner or later.

Colour me glutton for punishment :-)

kraemder
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4966 days ago

1497 posts - 1648 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Spanish, Japanese

Message 59 of 256
20 September 2012 at 9:50pm | IP Logged 
10,000 Hanzi? Are you serious? As I 10,000 different characters to learn? Who would think anything would
make Japanese look not too hard lol.

Brun Ugle
Diglot
Norway
brunugle.wordpress.c
Joined 6402 days ago

1292 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*, NorwegianC1
Studies: Japanese, Esperanto, Spanish, Finnish

Message 60 of 256
23 September 2012 at 8:13am | IP Logged 
kraemder wrote:
10,000 Hanzi? Are you serious? As I 10,000 different characters to learn? Who would think anything would

Oh, but the grammar is so much easier that it makes up for that. Of course, there are the tones too....

dampingwire
Bilingual Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4447 days ago

1185 posts - 1513 votes 

Message 61 of 256
23 September 2012 at 12:41pm | IP Logged 
kraemder wrote:
10,000 Hanzi? Are you serious? As I 10,000 different characters to
learn? Who would think anything would

I went and asked my Cantonese colleague. He thought 4000 might be a better estimate.
It's still a fair few. If I ever try, I'm hoping for a decent amount of overlap with
the Kanji to minimise the effort.

(That said, I'm watching "Nihonjin no Shiranai Nihingo" at the moment [with
subtitles!!] and kanji keep cropping up there that mean one thing in Japanese and
something (mildly) different in Chinese).

Brun Ugle wrote:
Oh, but the grammar is so much easier that it makes up for that. Of
course, there are the tones too....

Allegedly. Then again, Japanese has "no plurals" and only two tenses, so it must be
easy, right? ...

Brun Ugle wrote:
Of course, there are the tones too....

Only four for Mandarin versus nine for Cantonese. "Learn Mandarin: more useful" was my
friend's advice :-)

g-bod
Diglot
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5764 days ago

1485 posts - 2002 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: French, German

Message 62 of 256
23 September 2012 at 1:21pm | IP Logged 
Japanese is easy. No plurals, no genders, no cases and only two irregular verbs!

On the plus side for hanzi, at least you generally only have to worry about one pronunciation per character. 4000 characters with one reading sounds a lot less hassle than 2000 characters with multiple readings.

rewire
Groupie
United States
learninglane.tumblr.Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4329 days ago

82 posts - 90 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Mandarin

Message 63 of 256
23 September 2012 at 8:48pm | IP Logged 
Chinese tends to be grammatically easier for English speakers since it's also SVO and there are no plurals, genders, cases, or conjugation (things like past or future tense are indicated by sticking a time-word like "today" or "later" in). And like g-bod said, there's only one reading and meaning per character, so memorizing ~4000 is not as difficult as it sounds to Japanese-learners. It's just that the actual speaking/listening of the language that makes it more difficult with tones and differentiating between sounds like ch/q, sh/x, and the expected issues with most languages "r," from my experience.

dampingwire
Bilingual Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4447 days ago

1185 posts - 1513 votes 

Message 64 of 256
24 September 2012 at 10:37pm | IP Logged 
W/E 2012-09-23 26h

Kanji reviews down to 25m and 48 in box #1.

I've not had much time for memrise this week, so the gardens are slightly drying up.

I have been working much more on grammar. I've been going through the N5 practice
drills that my tutor has given me, working in detail on each sentence, making sure I
think I understand each one. That's been quite time consuming, but I have identified a
few new grammar points and usages, so I think it has been a useful exercise. (I still
have a few more to work my way through, so this phase is by no means finished).

Last sign up for the December N5 is the beginning of October, so I need to get that
sorted out ASAP.

I'm still listening to the JPOD101 audio tracks during my commute but I've now started
to listen to the dialog, grammar and review tracks in the office (instead of listening
to music). I'm not concentrating on them, so I'm not counting it as "learning" time,
but it does mean that I can check that everything is there and it presumably doesn't
hurt to have Japanese audio as "background noise".

This discussion contains 256 messages over 32 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 79 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version