kraemder
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4970 days ago

1497 posts - 1648 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Spanish, Japanese

Message 33 of 256
23 July 2012 at 11:54pm | IP Logged 
I also learned a lot of new kanji before I really had a use for them. I bet other people at your level of Japanese will be shocked that you know so much though lol. I know they are with me. Number of Kanji learned is often used as a benchmark for the amount of Japanese you know it seems.
1 person has voted this message useful

dampingwire
Bilingual Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4451 days ago

1185 posts - 1513 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian*, French
Studies: Japanese

Message 34 of 256
24 July 2012 at 9:24pm | IP Logged 
kraemder wrote:
I also learned a lot of new kanji before I really had a use for them.

I'm glad I cranked up the kanji pace (even at the expense of memrise). Now when I see
(for example) the kanji close up PDFs from JPOD101 I recognise almost all of them and
they're beginning to stick (as vocab) without any real effort, just through exposure.

kraemder wrote:
Number of Kanji learned is often used as a benchmark for the amount of
Japanese you know it seems.

I'll have to remember to keep my mouth shut so as not to spoil that impression then :-)

atama warui
Triglot
Japan
Joined 4487 days ago

594 posts - 985 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, Japanese

Message 35 of 256
25 July 2012 at 3:59pm | IP Logged 
Who cares what other people think? ;) Just keep at it. It works for you, so that's a great thing. You also seem to have fun with it, and that's even better. Now it's only a matter of persistence and time.
がんば!

kraemder
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4970 days ago

1497 posts - 1648 votes 
Studies: German, Spanish, Japanese

Message 36 of 256
25 July 2012 at 11:57pm | IP Logged 
I don't really care what other people think but it's kind of a pain explaining to them how I know the meanings
of nearly 2k kanji and how to draw them but not the sounds or necessarily any vocabulary words that they're
used in and well it just confuses the hell out of people. Which creates more work for me.

atama warui
Triglot
Japan
Joined 4487 days ago

594 posts - 985 votes 

Message 37 of 256
26 July 2012 at 3:59pm | IP Logged 
Yeah, seems backward, right? That's why it felt wrong in many ways for me to go this route. However, my main goal was always oral fluency first, literacy was never at such a high priority. I find I'm also stronger in this department by default, because writing doesn't have sound, and the sound of Japanese is what fascinates me. But people are different, and everyone has to find their own way to progress.
dampingwire seems to have found it.
I needed roughly one year to realize what was going on :)

dampingwire
Bilingual Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4451 days ago

1185 posts - 1513 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian*, French
Studies: Japanese

Message 38 of 256
26 July 2012 at 11:30pm | IP Logged 
atama warui wrote:
Yeah, seems backward, right? That's why it felt wrong in many ways
for me to go this route.

I started out with the idea that I'd avoid all the "difficulties" of Kanji by just
concentrating on spoken Japanese. I quickly learned that to remember things I had to
write something down (it just seems to be the way my mind works). That led to the
speedy realisation that roumaji just doesn't cut it (whichever form I picked ... :-)).
So i had to learn the kana at least. By the time I'd done that I'd been bitten by the
writing systems bug and one thing lead to another ...

Probably just as well as I've decided to aim for N5 this December (just to gauge where
I am) and that means knowing some kanji readings.

2 persons have voted this message useful

atama warui
Triglot
Japan
Joined 4487 days ago

594 posts - 985 votes 

Message 39 of 256
27 July 2012 at 5:37am | IP Logged 
There's nothing wrong with learning all the Kanji first. Wish I had an USB port somewhere in my neck, to avoid the pain of learning them all.
If not for the Kanji, I'd take the N2 right now, but my Kanji skills drag me down closer to a level around N4. That's a bit sad ^^ but not the end of the world for me. I always envy the type of learner who fell in love with the writing system, even to a degree where they sis down and write them down by hand and enjoy the process.
I can't do that. I need to feel the sounds flowing, I want to listen to it all day long, but I can't hear the sounds while reading.
I actually find it pretty cool to watch you progress and actually surpass me in the literacy department. Reminds me that one size never fits us all :)

Edited by atama warui on 27 July 2012 at 5:37am

rewire
Groupie
United States
learninglane.tumblr.Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4333 days ago

82 posts - 90 votes 
Studies: Japanese, Mandarin

Message 40 of 256
27 July 2012 at 7:08pm | IP Logged 
It is pretty interesting to see all the different learning styles! I'd started out
focusing largely on kanji, figuring the more I knew the easier I could read, and the more
I read, the easier I'd pick up new things (since that was how I had learned a lot of
English vocabulary, and I've always enjoyed reading). So during my college period, I had
a more expansive amount of kanji-literacy, but ironically it didn't help me actually
read. I've switched to more focus on speech/listening, and have ended up noticing more
improvement in my reading naturally, which then does actually feed back to helping my
speaking, and so on. Everything seems to have to be connected for me, or it doesn't
really stick.

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 256 messages over 32 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 46 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version