Joined 4446 days ago

1185 posts - 1513 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian*, French
Studies: Japanese

Message 41 of 256
07 August 2012 at 10:22pm | IP Logged 
(testing, testing :-)

W/E 2012-JUL-29. 29h. Kanji at 1600.

Looking at my log it looks like audio, RTK and a little Minna No Nihongo this week.

(EDIT: My weeks end on Sunday!)

Edited by dampingwire on 07 August 2012 at 10:36pm

1 person has voted this message useful

dampingwire
Bilingual Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4446 days ago

1185 posts - 1513 votes 

Message 42 of 256
07 August 2012 at 10:35pm | IP Logged 
W/E 2012-08-05. 34h.

The usual audio plus lots of RTK.

I'm really pleased to say that I've now been through the 2042 Kanji of RTK1. Quite how
they're managing to stick I don't know, but mostly they are.

Last week my tutor started to go through the N5 kanji with me. With no preparation
(i.e. no specific learning of vocab, just RTK) I got all but one of the questions right
for the first 3 chapters. I'm beginning to believe in the power of RTK.

Once I get the reviews under control (250+ per day right now) I'll get back onto
memrise, turn the Kanji back on and start to get the N5 vocabulary learned properly.

I'm so glad that this forum is back :-)

2 persons have voted this message useful

dampingwire
Bilingual Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4446 days ago

1185 posts - 1513 votes 

Message 43 of 256
13 August 2012 at 11:49pm | IP Logged 
W/E 2012-08-12. 21h.

Four days away from home. I managed to keep my Kanji reviews under control by putting
some time in at the beginning and end of the period away. By the end of the week there
were ~200 kanji to review each day. Right now there are 205 in bucket #1 (i.e. 205
Kanji that I've only remembered one time in a row ... so that's ~1800 that I've
remembered at least twice in a row).

All this Kanji is proving quite helpful now as my tutor is pushing through an N5
revision book at quite a pace.

I'm still working through the JPOD 101 audio - although my study time has felt quite
limited this week.

dampingwire
Bilingual Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4446 days ago

1185 posts - 1513 votes 

Message 44 of 256
20 August 2012 at 9:06pm | IP Logged 
W/E 2012-08-19 25h.

Kanji reviews now under control @ ~45m each day. Currently 137 entries in bucket #1.
I'm also managing about 80% correct on the first pass.

Audio progressing as before. I think I'm beginning to recognise more spoken Japanese
through the haze - well @ over 450h total study time I think I probably should be :-)

I've restarted memrise, this time with Kanji. I'm working on getting the N5 vocab
garden fully watered. Once that is in place I'll start on the other gardens I have
going and begin to spend more time on Minna No Nihongo and also concentrating on SRS-
ing sentences from JPOD101 lessons.

Overall I'm feeling quite positive.

dampingwire
Bilingual Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4446 days ago

1185 posts - 1513 votes 

Message 45 of 256
27 August 2012 at 11:11pm | IP Logged 
W/E 2012-08-26 20h

Kanji reviews still ~40m per day. 74 entries in bucket #1 and I'm managing to remember
~85% on the first pass.

I've just got three seasons of the JPOD101 audio to do a first pass listen to: under 40
episodes. After that, rather than move onto Intermediate, I'll go back and SRS the
various Beginner (and maybe Absolute Beginner) series and see how that helps with
vocabulary.

I'm now more actively working through Minna No Nihongo. I'm going to do a first pass
through the 25 chapters, concentrating on vocabulary. In parallel with that I'm going
to work on internalising the various verb conjugations (I expect that they're in MNN
but I want them in my head now to make my life easier). After that I'll do a second
pass, SRSing the vocabulary and sentences etc. I'm hoping to have the first pass done
in a few weeks (certainly by the end of September).

Memrise with Kanji is now a regular part of my daily learning. I'm still consolidating
what I already had (this time with Kanji) but I'll start on the N4 vocabulary soon.

kraemder
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4965 days ago

1497 posts - 1648 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Spanish, Japanese

Message 46 of 256
28 August 2012 at 1:23am | IP Logged 
Congratulations on finishing RTK once through. It took me a lot longer to achieve that feat. I find it
extrememly useful tough and I'm reviewing it again. Stuff I haven't seen for 6 months is a little rusty
unfortunately. I think the RTK really helps when you starting on the Chinese words and there's multiple kanji
per word.

Brun Ugle
Diglot
Norway
brunugle.wordpress.c
Joined 6401 days ago

1292 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*, NorwegianC1
Studies: Japanese, Esperanto, Spanish, Finnish

Message 47 of 256
28 August 2012 at 8:15am | IP Logged 
I was sure I had read you log before, but somehow I must have missed it since none of it seemed familiar. Now I've read it through from the beginning. Fortunately for me, it isn't too long yet.

I loved your term 油を売る in your first post. I like to "collect" idioms and interesting expressions like that.

If you're still using Tae Kim, there is a free app for that, in case you didn't know already. At least, I think it's free. It was when I got it earlier this year.

You were also asking about iKnow. Actually, I believe iKnow and smart.fm are the same thing. They just seem to change the name back and forth. Anyway, I have a one-year subscription and I love it. It seems quite different than Anki, but I'm not sure how to explain the difference. I'm on the core 4000 right now and am finding it very helpful. It's also a very pleasant and enjoyable way to learn, almost like a game. It suits a lazy person like me perfectly. Just one warning: if you sign up and like it and then decide to renew your subscription, wait until your old one runs out. For some reason, when you renew, they don't tack it on to your old subscription, they just start from scratch so you lose whatever you had left of your old subscription.

rewire
Groupie
United States
learninglane.tumblr.Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4328 days ago

82 posts - 90 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Mandarin

Message 48 of 256
28 August 2012 at 7:02pm | IP Logged 
RE: iKnow vs Anki...

iKnow used to be smart.fm (and free), but a couple years ago they were acquired by Cerego and Cerego changed the name to iKnow and sort of stripped it for a while and required subscriptions.

Partly the difference from Anki and iKnow is that iKnow has preset courses. They come in sets of 1000 words split into 10 levels of 100, basically, so you don't have to set up your own decks if you don't want to. There is an option for custom courses, but I've never used it, so I couldn't tell you much about it.

What I find I value iKnow for is that all the preset decks are really complete with written/spelling/meaning and at least one example sentence and a picture mnemonic with audio recordings of both the individual word and the sentence by native Japanese speakers in (usually) pretty quality audio. And then it walks you through various types of reviews to test your ability to recognize the word just by sound or on sight or figure it out in the context of a sentence, and then of course is using an SRS algorithm to judge when you need to review a word.

If you're motivated by things like badges or visual chart data, it's kind of nice that it tells you when you've "mastered" a certain level of words or reached a certain amount of hours of study and graphs your progress by how many items you reviewed per day on charts, etc (though I think Anki can do that part too?). There's also Dictation practice checkpoints (I'm not entirely sure if you can just do Dictation on its own-- I'm lazy and haven't tried), and the Brainspeed game which is kind of a review/speed tool + game, where the goal is "keep the owl afloat by answering questions quickly" basically. They're starting to add (back?) more community-oriented features, too, so you can kind of see other people's stats, so if you're a bit more competition-oriented, I suppose that could be good too, heh.

So personally I find it worth it because I'm also a bit lazy and just don't want to have to deal with making my own cards that include all those features and review in a similar way, ahah. As I generally don't even take advantage of things like Brainspeed. But I think it can also be more motivational for people who find it easier in a more "game" setup with rewards or like community-oriented sites, but your mileage may vary. The mobile apps are decent, too, though. I've used both the Android and the iPhone apps.

... Sorry that got super long and is possibly more than you cared to know.

This discussion contains 256 messages over 32 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 57 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version