Triglot
Canada
Joined 6593 days ago

21 posts - 52 votes 
Speaks: English*, Hindi, Punjabi
Studies: Urdu, Italian

Message 49 of 57
05 May 2012 at 5:30am | IP Logged 
I'll be graduating next month from the University of Toronto with an Hons.BA in Religious
Studies, South Asian Studies, and Italian. Most of my energy was directed towards the
study of Hinduism and Sikhism. I also obtained a diploma in Punjabi from Punjabi
University, Patiala during a year spent in India.

Come September, I'll begin reading an M.Phil. in Modern South Asian Studies at Oxford.
I'll continue studying Hindi, Urdu, and Punjabi. I will also develop a reading knowledge
of Awadhi, Braj, and the Punjabi of the Guru Granth Sahib.

I'm undecided on career plans. I'm strongly considering Canada's federal public service.
Academia is a possibility, but I doubt I'll continue down that path. I'd love to find
work in India, as well, so that's another option.
3 persons have voted this message useful

cathrynm
United States
junglevision.co
Joined 5885 days ago

910 posts - 1232 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Finnish

Message 50 of 57
05 May 2012 at 7:53am | IP Logged 
I majored in Electrical Engineering and Computer Science at UC Berkeley.   This was mostly analog electronics and signal processing, of which in my life I've never actually used professionally. I've been working in the video games business ever since.
1 person has voted this message useful

thephilologist
Tetraglot
United States
Joined 5794 days ago

26 posts - 29 votes
Speaks: English*, Spanish, German, French
Studies: Portuguese

Message 51 of 57
05 May 2012 at 3:54pm | IP Logged 
I'm majoring in history and German, with an Asian studies minor.

ymapazagain
Australia
myspace.com/amywiles
Joined 6719 days ago

504 posts - 538 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: SpanishB2

Message 52 of 57
06 May 2012 at 10:25am | IP Logged 
I graduated with an Associate Degree in Music Studies (Contemporary Voice) in 2009 and I am currently working towards a Bachelor of Arts (Philosophy). Another year and a half to go! After that I'm considering doing a Diploma in Languages (Spanish) as I'll already have exemption from the beginner units plus two intermediate units credited from my BA. That will leave me free to explore the much more interesting advanced and cultural units.

Edited to add: Aside from my music degree, a university education is more about personal development for me than it is about a career. Teaching the piano is my main source of income and I plan to make this my long term career. For professional development I am continuing my study with the performance diplomas offered by the AMEB (Australian Music Examinations Board).

Edited by ymapazagain on 06 May 2012 at 10:31am

2 persons have voted this message useful

jellyfish
Triglot
Groupie
Japan
Joined 4545 days ago

50 posts - 70 votes 
Speaks: English, German*, Japanese
Studies: Thai, Persian, Russian

Message 53 of 57
08 May 2012 at 9:47am | IP Logged 
Currently I'm in my third year of a BA Linguistics and Japanese; once I'm back from Japan I'll have one year left of it, and after that I'm hoping to get into a one-year translation master's programme.

Then I want to translate Japanese into German/English freelance while bumming around the world for a year or two, and at some point go back to university to study something related to aid and disaster relief. Plans may, of course, change.

Edited by jellyfish on 08 May 2012 at 9:49am

Kisfroccs
Bilingual Pentaglot
Switzerland
Joined 5169 days ago

388 posts - 549 votes 
Speaks: French*, German*, EnglishC1, Swiss-German, Hungarian
Studies: Italian, Serbo-Croatian

Message 54 of 57
08 May 2012 at 10:28pm | IP Logged 
Currently in a bilingual (French / German) Bachelor of Law, and I'm thinking about getting a special mention in European Law (Internal Market Law and European Private Law). But I would love to be able to choose International law (currently studying Public, but I would love to extend further...).

My Hungarian and Croatian doesn't really fit in all this :). But whatever.

Kisfröccs

Missandei
Diglot
Croatia
Joined 4342 days ago

4 posts - 4 votes
Speaks: Croatian*, English

Message 55 of 57
12 May 2012 at 12:32am | IP Logged 
Kisfroccs wrote:
Currently in a bilingual (French / German) Bachelor of Law, and I'm thinking about getting a special mention in European Law (Internal Market Law and European Private Law). But I would love to be able to choose International law (currently studying Public, but I would love to extend further...).

My Hungarian and Croatian doesn't really fit in all this :). But whatever.

Kisfröccs

oh, my god! You speak Croatian? That's amazing.
I know that everyone here is mostly dedicated to studying languages and is not a weird thing to learn any language, but I'm still surprised someone was interested enough to actually learn Croatian.
Yaaay! I'm just happy, that's all.

On topic- Oh, and I haven't yet finished my education.

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6357 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 56 of 57
12 May 2012 at 10:15am | IP Logged 
There are a bunch of us here;) And I know quite a few Russians who love your football NT and learn the language because of this ;) That's my main reason too :D

This discussion contains 57 messages over 8 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 68  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version