Speaks: Spanish*, English
Studies: Russian

Message 9 of 27
01 May 2012 at 9:53pm | IP Logged 
Washigton, DC
New York
Orlando
Miami
San Antonio (any major military base city)
Hawaii - Big Island
1 person has voted this message useful

Darklight1216
Diglot
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4918 days ago

411 posts - 639 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: German

Message 10 of 27
01 May 2012 at 11:16pm | IP Logged 
Any major city and if the language you love is Spanish: nearly any city.

Camundonguinho
Triglot
Brazil
Joined 4567 days ago

273 posts - 500 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, English, Spanish
Studies: Swedish

Message 11 of 27
02 May 2012 at 12:44am | IP Logged 
Miami = English + Latin American Spanish (Cuban, Portorican, Mexican and also Argentinian) + Brazilian Portuguese

''As of 2000, speakers of Spanish as their first language accounted for 66.75% of residents, English by 25.45%, Haitian Creole by 5.20%, and French speakers comprised 0.76% of the population.[78]

Other languages that were spoken throughout the city include Portuguese at 0.41%, German at 0.18%, Italian at 0.16%, Arabic at 0.15%, Chinese at 0.11%, and Greek at 0.08% of the population.''
(Wiki on Miami)

''As of 2000, speakers of Spanish as a first language accounted for 55% of residents, while English made up 33%, Portuguese was at 3.4%, French was at 1.7%, German at 1.1%, Italian 1%, and Russian was 0.85% of the population. Due to the large Jewish community, Yiddish was spoken at the home of 0.81% of the population, and Hebrew was the mother tongue of 0.74%.[32]

As of 2000, Miami Beach had the 22nd highest concentration of Cuban residents in the United States, at 20.5% of the population.[33] It had the 28th highest percentage of Colombian residents, at 4.4% of the city's population,[34] and the 14th highest percentage of Brazilian residents, at 2.2% of the its population (tied with Hillside, New Jersey and Hudson, Massachusetts.)[35] It also had the 27th largest concentration of Peruvian ancestry, at 1.85%,[36] and the 27th highest percentage of people of Venezuelan heritage, at 1.79%.[37] Miami Beach also has the 33rd highest concentration of Honduran ancestry (1.03%)[38] and the 41st-highest percentage of Nicaraguan residents, which made up 1% of the population.[39]''
(Wiki on Miami Beach)

Edited by Camundonguinho on 02 May 2012 at 12:47am

sillygoose1
Tetraglot
United States
Joined 4454 days ago

566 posts - 814 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian, Spanish, French
Studies: German, Latin

Message 12 of 27
02 May 2012 at 1:43am | IP Logged 
NYC, Philadelphia, Chicago

You will see a huge mix of languages in each of those cities including Polish, Mandarin, Korean, Italian, Spanish, Greek, Russian, etc.

Quinn
United States
Joined 6141 days ago

134 posts - 186 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French, Italian, Spanish

Message 13 of 27
02 May 2012 at 3:01am | IP Logged 
Oakland is one of the most ethnically diverse cities in the United States. In my neighborhood you can hear Spanish, Cantonese, Mandarin and Yoruba. And just outside my neighborhood, Vietnamese, Korean, Tagalog, Thai, Hmong, Hindi, and Japanese.

Any polyglot with skills in languages of Asia would be like a kid in a candy store.
2 persons have voted this message useful

hrhenry
Octoglot
United States
languagehopper.blogs
Joined 4948 days ago

1871 posts - 3642 votes 
Speaks: English*, SpanishC2, ItalianC2, Norwegian, Catalan, Galician, Turkish, Portuguese
Studies: Polish, Indonesian, Ojibwe

Message 14 of 27
02 May 2012 at 3:09am | IP Logged 
Quinn wrote:
Oakland is one of the most ethnically diverse cities in the United States.

He'd mentioned that he wanted to stay way from both SF and NYC due to the cost of living, but Oakland's a good alternative. Housing is cheaper, yet you're still close enough to SF to enjoy all it has to offer, too.

R.
==
3 persons have voted this message useful

Alanjazz
Triglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 4633 days ago

65 posts - 129 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, French
Studies: Portuguese

Message 15 of 27
02 May 2012 at 3:40am | IP Logged 
Depends on the languages you want to work on/know. Being partially from Minnesota, I could suggest Minneapolis
on the grounds of three languages - Spanish, Somali, and Hmong. There are vibrant communities of speakers of all
of these languages! I was also going to say Miami, but that city has had plenty of good arguments made for it
already.

I would suggest Boston but I don't like it. Though, there are local Portuguese and Italian-language communities,
and of course Spanish and Haitian Creole. Los Angeles, though it has a terrible reputation, IS very diverse. There are
a lot of options.

The Real CZ
United States
Joined 5467 days ago

1069 posts - 1495 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Korean

Message 16 of 27
02 May 2012 at 3:46am | IP Logged 
Oakland is a ghetto piece of crap though. Stay away, it's the Detroit of the West Coast.

This discussion contains 27 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 13 4  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version