njblue
Diglot
United States
Joined 5138 days ago

9 posts - 11 votes
Speaks: English*, French

Message 9 of 23
09 May 2012 at 1:14am | IP Logged 
I have found this video on Acadien French in Canada. I enjoy the way they speak. It's very quaint.
Bottom description

"École Mathieu-Martin. Réalisé dans le cadre du cours de Parler Acadien de Monsieur Bourgeois. Qualité est moins
bonne puisque Youtube prenait mal la version originale en haute définition. Filmé en majorité sur mon iPhone 4.
Vive l'Acadie!"

Le Parler Acadien
1 person has voted this message useful

lecavaleur
Diglot
Canada
Joined 4588 days ago

146 posts - 295 votes 
Studies: German, Spanish

Message 10 of 23
05 June 2012 at 8:03am | IP Logged 
Like the article says, chances are the language will die. Kind of sucks, but there is
basically no way that French will be a viable language in that region ever again. Native
speakers are too few and far between and there are probably almost no unilingual speakers
left, which means that the few fluent speakers left are in a diglossic/bilingual phase
and have probably chosen to not pass on their native tongue to their children.

When every speaker of a minority language in a given territory is bilingual, the decline
and eventual death of the weaker language is only a matter of time. If you can't earn a
living in the language, it's doomed.

A bit bleak for an outlook, but unfortunately that is the case.

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4820 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 11 of 23
05 June 2012 at 10:20am | IP Logged 
I don't think it must necessarily die, even though it is very likely if the language
doesn't get more support. But there have already been cases of such "exhumation".

Czech was in a bit similar situation in the 19th century and it came back, first as a
non-official but everyday use language of the part of austrian empire, later as the
official language. Slovak had such a comeback too and it's extinction was much closer
than the Czech one. But better parallel to French will be another exemple:

Welsh got massive support from both people and the official structures and it got back
the place of second language or second native language for many welsh people. Some
don't care but others love it as a major part of their own unique culture and history.
This is something Luisiana French could get too, under the correct circumstances.

So, the language is caught between English and Spanish but it could survive and spread.
If the French names are viewed as cool and there is music in the language and speakers
who still use it, the young people might get to like it.

lecavaleur
Diglot
Canada
Joined 4588 days ago

146 posts - 295 votes 

Message 12 of 23
05 June 2012 at 6:29pm | IP Logged 
If it does survive, it will only be as a heritage language, which means it will be in
need of constant life-support for the rest of its existence. It won't be a language one
can truly live and work in in Louisiana. That would require a hefty pool of economically
affluent unilingual speakers for whom it would be necessary (not just nice, but
necessary) for speakers of other languages to learn French in order to communicate with
them.

Edited by lecavaleur on 05 June 2012 at 6:30pm

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4820 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 13 of 23
05 June 2012 at 7:30pm | IP Logged 
And what's so bad about it? The Welsh don't need it for huge majority of jobs either from
what I read. Still, many use it in their homes or with their friends even though they are
not unilingual. Is it not living the language? And you surely don't have to speak Welsh
to communicate with them.

Welsh surely got a lot of support from above which probably cannot be expected in the
USA, unless the people start by themselves and get the authorities clearly know they want
support. To keep to your analogy, it seems to me that the revival actions from Wales and
GB worked more like a defibrillator and a few weeks at the intensive care than life
support slowing death.
2 persons have voted this message useful

rivere123
United States
Joined 4641 days ago

129 posts - 182 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French

Message 14 of 23
06 June 2012 at 3:05am | IP Logged 
When you ask, "Why should we keep minority languages alive?", you fail to realize one of the greatest
motives. Why, then, should you learn any language, if French is not good enough to keep alive, with all due
respect? This is a perfectly understandable dialect of French, and knowing multiple languages is, I think, a
massive complement to whatever you already know, particularly a language like French.

French, in the Metropolitan or Canadian form, is doing just fine. Lots of people learn to actually speak the
language in our French emmersion courses (which you attend from first grade), but our French is
endangered. A comeback could be engineered but we're running quickly out of time, unless of course we
imported some Acadians. But a language like French can go back to being just as important as English, I'm
confident.
5 persons have voted this message useful

Gallo1801
Diglot
Spain
Joined 4713 days ago

164 posts - 248 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Arabic (Written), Croatian, German, French

Message 15 of 23
06 June 2012 at 4:41am | IP Logged 
Just have Lousiana petition to become a subnational member of la Francophonie, and enjoy
the funds that appear! I'm surprised that there aren't more (French from France)
agencies in LA/ME that are helping to stoke the fire of French...

lecavaleur
Diglot
Canada
Joined 4588 days ago

146 posts - 295 votes 

Message 16 of 23
07 June 2012 at 5:30am | IP Logged 
There is no question that French is alive and well elsewhere in the world. The question
is whether it can ever once again become a viable, colloquial language in Louisiana.
With the attractive power of English, this is very unlikely. I wish them the best of
luck, but I'm not very optimistic about it and this is coming from a fluent French
speaker and an ardent francophile.

Languages need more than just money from the government and a handful of speakers to
survive in anything more than a half-life. They need a large basin of native and fluent
speakers and, preferably, a hefty segment of unilingual speakers if there is ever to be
a hard core to protect the language from too much outside influence. Unilingual
speakers are deaf to the outside world and require thus that things be translated into
their language for them, that services be offered them in their language, that
television, books, magazines and other cultural products be available in their
language. These people are sure to pass their language onto future generations, whereas
profoundly bilingual speakers of a minority language may not be so inclined and do not
require anything, cultural or otherwise, to be available in their minority mother
tongue.

Nor is French immersion school some kind of magic process whereby students come out
with perfect French. I know literally dozens of English-Canadians who are products of
French immersion. Not a single one speaks perfect French. They all have strong accents,
poor grammar and rely on a plethora of false cognates to get by. Yet they went through
up to 10 years of all-French schooling. How is this possible? Well, the fact is there
is a difference between a French immersion school and a Francophone school. The former
is a school where all the children are speakers of (in this case) English, and they
attend all their classes in French. The latter is a school designed for native French-
speaking children to take all their classes in French. In one school, French is the
language of instruction, but not the venacular spoken among students. In the other,
French is both the language of instruction and the vernacular.

Non-francophone children who frequent francophone schools in a place like Quebec or
France, will invariably come out perfectly fluent in French (usually with no accent).
The reasons for this are clear. Not only do they learn everything in French, but their
language skills are constantly reinforced by their French-speaking peers and by society
at large.

Non-francophone children frequenting French immersion schools do not get the
reinforcement by peers and by a greater society at large that is needed for them to be
truly fluent in the target language. The result is that they understand the language
well but cannot correctly speak it with ease and spontaneity.

Long story short, French immersion schools alone cannot give back to French in
Louisiana what it has lost, namely its status as a widely used, viable vernacular in
the territory.

Edited by lecavaleur on 07 June 2012 at 5:36am

This discussion contains 23 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version