Tetraglot
United States
Joined 4424 days ago

566 posts - 814 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian, Spanish, French
Studies: German, Latin

Message 9 of 18
09 May 2012 at 4:24pm | IP Logged 
It's weird how that works. I've always thought the opposite for myself.

Edited by sillygoose1 on 09 May 2012 at 4:24pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5169 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 10 of 18
09 May 2012 at 4:32pm | IP Logged 
$1500 a week?!? On a parking attendant's salary?
2 persons have voted this message useful

Midnight
Diglot
Groupie
Czech Republic
Joined 4427 days ago

54 posts - 111 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, English

Message 11 of 18
09 May 2012 at 5:04pm | IP Logged 
I'd also love to live there. It's a pain I can't practice my spoken English anywhere but on Paltalk once in a while. I'd like to have an immersion to become native-like. But there are many cons too.

prz_
Tetraglot
Poland
last.fm/user/prz_rul
Joined 4647 days ago

890 posts - 1190 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English, Bulgarian, Croatian
Studies: Slovenian, Macedonian, Persian, Russian, Turkish, Ukrainian, Dutch, Swedish, German, Italian, Armenian, Kurdish

Message 12 of 18
09 May 2012 at 10:28pm | IP Logged 
Solfrid Cristin wrote:

Well my daughter would probably like to exchange me for any American mom. She is desperate to live in
the US and thinks living in Norway is torture.

Oh my! I've thought that during the last decade the myth of American dream has been demythologized. How... wrong I was?!
Btw, if she dislikes Norway so much, I should invite her to Poland. Or even better - let her visit Iran (not to mention Afghanistan).

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4495 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 13 of 18
10 May 2012 at 12:13pm | IP Logged 
Iranis are really nice people though - it's only the government that sucks.

zdri
United States
Joined 6067 days ago

29 posts - 74 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Russian

Message 14 of 18
11 May 2012 at 2:22am | IP Logged 
Arekkusu wrote:
$1500 a week?!? On a parking attendant's salary?
My dad made 6 figures
and we could never afford tutors. The salary isn't the barrier, the real problem stems from American
social conventions. Such as making huge investments (remember when a house was considered a safe
investment?) and living in a "nice" neighborhood. This little girl lives in Queens.

I have read other news stories like this. I read an article a while ago about ambitious Eastern European
immigrants living in NYC and becoming successful. In the article, someone who works at a private school
remarked that immigrants are the only parents who ever question the usefulness of paying for an exorbitant meal plan. I don't think Mabau's parents are from Eastern Europe, but the same attitude still
applies.

I wish I had a childhood like Mabou's. I often asked my parents to homeschool me as a child.
Unfortunately they never did. Society has a prejudice against home-schooled children but studies show
they are usually smarter and better socially adjusted.

futurianus
Korea, South
starlightonclou
Joined 4797 days ago

125 posts - 234 votes 
Speaks: Korean*

Message 15 of 18
16 May 2012 at 5:51pm | IP Logged 
Thank you tmp011007 for this great information about Mabou.

What a phenomenal thing this is, Mabou and her parents!

I now have much more information about young global and translingual kids--Wendy Vo and Mabou Loiseau and feel quite happy about it.
With Mabou, some aspects about them are becoming much clearer.
These kids are embodying so much important informations about language acquisition not only for the young kids, but also for the adults, for all language learners, and so much significant implications for our future educational approaches and systems, for our changing future trends.

I was much moved by her mother's love for her kid, by all the aspirations and dreams that she has for her. The greatness of mother's love, life shaping a new life, transmitting such a great value to Mabou!

What an exciting energy of love, that had the courage, creativity, conviction and commitment to actualize such a daring vision for Mabou!

What a decisive enterprising spirit that will not accept the mediocrity of our present education system, but courageously and wholeheartedly attempt to chart a new course to realize a newer and higher vision of how they want Mabou to grow up to be!

What a super mom!
What a supportive dad!
What a precious kid!

With much admiration and respect for the parents of Mabou, and wishing them and Mabou all the best in their continued exciting journey together through such an exceptional path....

Edited by futurianus on 17 May 2012 at 6:50am

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5169 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 16 of 18
16 May 2012 at 6:01pm | IP Logged 
In all honesty, I'm not so enthusiastic. When I watched some videos of her, I couldn't help think this was a well trained child, no more. They essentially always rehash the same information in all the languages and her answers tend not to be very elaborate and a lot of it feels rehearsed. And then there's the dad asking her in Creole what her mom's name is and looking all proud... Come on.

Anyway, it's hard to get an accurate understanding of what is going on just from a video, other than the fact that the parents and the girl like the media attention. I wish them the best of luck.

This discussion contains 18 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version