Triglot
United States
Joined 4499 days ago

1134 posts - 1865 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Yiddish
Studies: Modern Hebrew, French, Dutch, Italian, Russian

Message 10 of 11
03 May 2012 at 6:50pm | IP Logged 
Somewhat to echo the previous posters, it sounds like you should just study Russian. You list some convincing reasons why Russian is important to you and why it will be necessary in the near future. If the only real reason you would be learning another language is to prepare for learning Russian, then it's a complete waste of time, and you likely will be far less motivated, making it HARDER, and your total time from now until you learn Russian will be longer, simply because you're not starting now.
1 person has voted this message useful

zdri
United States
Joined 6090 days ago

29 posts - 74 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Russian

Message 11 of 11
11 May 2012 at 5:05am | IP Logged 
Thanks for the advice everyone. Because of this thread I decided to study Russian. I have been browsing
the forums a lot lately, very useful.

I do have some interest in Spanish and Italian culture. Both have art I am interested in. I started studying
Italian because I was interested in a study abroad program, but I don't even go to that school any more.
At this point I think I am more motivated to learn Russian.

Besides, if I go to school in Russia without knowing the language, I will need to hire a translator.
Studying in Italy without knowing Italian won't have any negative financial impact, as far as I know. The
unpopularity of English in Russian-speaking countries is more of a motivation for me to learn it. I think
blauw has a good point also, there is more to sink your teeth into with Russian.

I'm going to start with Pimsleur Russian, so I don't develop bad pronunciation habits. The problem with
Pimsleur is I have heard it in several other languages already, so every time it says "I understand" I think
"eo capisco" or "je comprends." I think in time this will stop happening though.

I downloaded the 50's Assimil course and the Princeton Russian course. I'll start working on them both
when I get the time. I have already kind of gotten into it even though I haven't even taught myself the
alphabet yet. There are tons of language blogs out there which are interesting. I don't know what I would
do without the internet. So many free resources.

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 11 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version