39 messages over 5 pages: 1 2 3 4 5  Next >>
prz_
Tetraglot
Poland
last.fm/user/prz_rul
Joined 4670 days ago

890 posts - 1190 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English, Bulgarian, Croatian
Studies: Slovenian, Macedonian, Persian, Russian, Turkish, Ukrainian, Dutch, Swedish, German, Italian, Armenian, Kurdish

Message 1 of 39
03 May 2012 at 11:18pm | IP Logged 
There were already several topics which were revolving around this aspect, but none of them hit the problem directly.

So... I would like to ask you if and how do you manage (or not) with getting stressed while learning languages and, if you have such difficulties, what are the reasons of that?

In my case, I guess it's about my ambitions. I get frustrated with the level of knowledge of the languages I learn and that I didn't learn 100 new words during the day. I wish I had more fun with that. I mean, I LOVE languages and I can't imagine my future serious job without them playing an important role, but when it comes to learning... The huge amount of pleasure is missing. It's irrational, but that's the way it is.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Ellsworth
United States
Joined 4768 days ago

345 posts - 528 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Swedish, Finnish, Icelandic, Irish

Message 2 of 39
04 May 2012 at 12:02am | IP Logged 
Well I am not very ambitious. I love languages like someone loves paintings. The world is
my art gallery. I stroll around, taking in it all, occasionally stopping for a close
study but just like you would never just mindlessly try to memorize paintings at an art
gallery, I don't try to memorize languages mindlessly.
To put it this way, LEARNING a language is only a by product of studying for me. I don't
study to learn, I study for fun and yet somehow at the end of a study session, I have
learned 50 new words :)
Any other way would be boring for me and like you said, the pleasure would be missing.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6408 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 3 of 39
04 May 2012 at 12:17am | IP Logged 
Most advice I could give is for females only...
IDK, maybe you just need to change your methods? :) Iversen's word list method should help you learn those 100 words :))) Also, use the language. Chatting with native speakers and reading books/watching movies will remind you that it's not been in vain.♥
1 person has voted this message useful

frenkeld
Diglot
United States
Joined 6754 days ago

2042 posts - 2719 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English
Studies: German

Message 4 of 39
04 May 2012 at 12:47am | IP Logged 
prz_ wrote:
In my case, I guess it's about my ambitions. I get frustrated with the level of knowledge of the languages I learn and that I didn't learn 100 new words during the day.

100 words per day seems to be on the upper end of what one can do on a sustained basis for several months, but probably not if you are trying to do that in several languages at a time. (How many languages are you studying right now?) Most people would find 100 a bit painful and scale down to 80 or 60. One suggestion I've seen is to start with 40 or so and keep adding 10 per day every few days until you figure out what's natural for you.

Also, as Serpent has already said, if you are just cramming vocabulary and not using the language (where do those 100 words come from?), any or all of reading, writing, speaking, and listening may be just what the doctor ordered.

Edited by frenkeld on 04 May 2012 at 3:27am

smallwhite
Pentaglot
Australia
Joined 5119 days ago

537 posts - 1045 votes 
Speaks: Cantonese*, English, Mandarin, French, Spanish

Message 5 of 39
04 May 2012 at 4:15am | IP Logged 
For me, keep encountering unknown words, staying and struggling at beginner/intermediate level, and never really understanding anything comfortably or expressing myself comfortably, are much more annoying and stressful than studying. So I learn at least 150 words a day and that actually reduces stress for me. I can feel the improvement every week if not every day, so I'm like 5% less stressful every day I study 150+ words.

aokoye
Diglot
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5352 days ago

235 posts - 453 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Dutch, Norwegian, Japanese

Message 6 of 39
04 May 2012 at 4:33am | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
Most advice I could give is for females only...

What is that advice if I may ask?

aokoye
Diglot
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5352 days ago

235 posts - 453 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Dutch, Norwegian, Japanese

Message 7 of 39
04 May 2012 at 4:41am | IP Logged 
prz_ wrote:
So... I would like to ask you if and how do you manage (or not) with
getting stressed while learning languages and, if you have such difficulties, what are
the reasons of that?

In my case, I guess it's about my ambitions. I get frustrated with the level of
knowledge of the languages I learn and that I didn't learn 100 new words during the
day
. I wish I had more fun with that.

I have realized that when I'm learning a language outside of a classroom setting I have
to set realistic goals. Doing otherwise will either a. give me too little
structure, or b. set me up for failure because I've set the bar way too high. For me
that means setting goals based on things like time. IE: I will study X for Y hours a
day; I will study A on B day and C on D day.

I've said this before and I'll say it again, I think that a lot of people put way too
much emphasis on learning languages as quickly as possible and I'm really not quite
sure why. I come from a background in music and it just isn't realistic for your
average person, or even your average talented person, to learn how to do something like
learn Mozart's flute concerto in D Major in the span of a week. By learn I mean play
the piece technically as well as stylistically well.

I think that this emphasis on learning things quickly within this forum tends to push
others to learn the same things just as quickly which can lead to people being very
discouraged.
6 persons have voted this message useful

smallwhite
Pentaglot
Australia
Joined 5119 days ago

537 posts - 1045 votes 
Speaks: Cantonese*, English, Mandarin, French, Spanish

Message 8 of 39
04 May 2012 at 5:01am | IP Logged 
aokoye wrote:

I've said this before and I'll say it again,
I think that a lot of people put way too much emphasis on learning languages as quickly as possible
and I'm really not quite sure why.

If you read instead of say you might know why. For example, in my post, two posts above your's, I mentioned my reasons for not wanting to learn as slowly as possible. And then there're people who mention that they have school exams in 1 month, trip to Europe in 2 months, visa and thus immersion to end in 3 months, etc. Life is short and I think people generally prefer spending it speaking a language than doing Anki reviews. And like you said, we want to learn as quickly as possible, not as quickly as impossible.

This discussion contains 39 messages over 5 pages: 2 3 4 5  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version